Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 05:08 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you sell them both and it is equal to the price of the K7 then sell both if not, I would suggest keeping the K-x

03-31-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

This is not an answer somebody else can provide for you. You have both, decide which is best for you, as you can see by the replies here, people have different opinions. I have both right now, and will be selling the K-x soon. While I do love the camera, it's simply too small for my hands. The K10d just feels so much more rugged and professional than the K-x. The handling and controls are simply much better for me. It has to do with the overall experience using it vs. simply specs.
03-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
I went from the K10D to the Kx and never looked back. There is no "what kind of shooting do you do" in this choice. The Kx is the far better camera, hands down, in all shooting situations.
I disagree. If you're among those who do a lot of MF and have an easier time with the larger prism viewfinder, the K10D has that. Or, if you're among those who likes to alter settings that can be altered more easily on the K10D, the K10D wins there too. There are also certain other specific features (wired remote, certain types of flash support I think, not sure what else) where the k10D would win. Or the k10D might just fit someone's hands better (and speaking of which, if you like using a grip, the k10d wins). And of course as mentioned, weather sealing is an advantage in certain situations too.
03-31-2010, 06:44 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Today I have received the K10D in mail and man, I am back in love with the handling of K10D/20D! The solid feeling which I can't get from the K-x.

The O-ME53 came along with the camera also made the already-large viewfinder even larger!
Almost as large as my 35mm KM!

Focusing is much slower than K-x.

At higher ISO K10D is certainly worse than K-x but not as bad as i thought, and K10D is superb at low ISO.

Now I want to keep both K10D and K-x :X

03-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chaplinlau Quote

Today I have received the K10D in mail and man, I am back in love with the handling of K10D/20D! The solid feeling which I can't get from the K-x.

The O-ME53 came along with the camera also made the already-large viewfinder even larger!
Almost as large as my 35mm KM!

Focusing is much slower than K-x.

At higher ISO K10D is certainly worse than K-x but not as bad as i thought, and K10D is superb at low ISO.

Sounds to me like you should sell both cams and get a K7, or K20D.
04-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #21

i ll keep the kx. because i shoot a lot high iso photos and i need better focus. and if kx is got weather seals ,it will be excellent
09-17-2010, 07:20 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
I have owned both, to me the K-x is hands down a better user camera. Small, compact, better wb, iso performance 2nd to none, you would miss your little k-x. Good luck!

09-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Sounds like a plan. Having both will give you the versatility explained by other members.
Good luck with your decision.
09-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:

I know K-x has better high ISO capability, but I know K10D is more meant to be a photographer's camera, but it has only iso 1600.
What kind of camera is not intended for photographers?

The answer to your question is: which one provides the images you want? Sell the other one.
09-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kx, K7, K10D,

Sell everything! Even the dog or cat and wait 'till the K5 is available!
09-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #26

Should I sell the K10D or should I sell the K-x for some extra cash on flashes or other accessories?

I know K-x has better high ISO capability, but I know K10D is more meant to be a photographer's camera, but it has only iso 1600.

I used to have a K20D too but I traded it for a K-x for its low-light ability.
I would have just kept the K20D in the first place...

Nobody has mentioned glass yet!
IMO, it's better to have a good selection of fine quality lenses and an older camera than a newer body and mediocre lenses (even if its sensor performance is better.)
09-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the OP why can't you keep both. They are quite different cameras
09-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
You would be in the pouring rain with a better camera.

No, that's just plain wrong.

I've had a K10 for years, and recently I'm thinking of changing, purely for the better high ISO.

But the main reason the Kx is so out of the picture for me is the lack of weatherproofing, and it's small. I like a bigger camera.

Someone posted a list of the Kx's benefits over the K10, and for me the ONLY one was the higher ISO, so it's a no contest - the Kx loses out against other camera's.
Obviously that only applies to the type of photography I do, and maybe the OP shoots in a similar way, I don't know?
09-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I bought a K-x for my niece over the summer and I had a chance to play with it while she was here but found the camera too small, too light and not having the top LCD and the dual control wheels made using the K-x frustrating to use. I suppose if I had it to shoot with for a lot longer, I probably would have gotten used to the limitations and learn to enjoy the K-x, but ergonomics is what got me into Pentax over technology (K10D and more recently K20D). I wish the K-5 much success because my next upgrade will be a used K-7 in about a year's time, hopefully for a song.

Thanks,
09-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #30
wll
Veteran Member

Hi all, this is my first post ever

I own a K-x, and recently I've bought a k10D due to a price which I couldn't pass

Now here is a dilemma:

I could only afford to keep one body.

Should I sell the K10D or should I sell the K-x for some extra cash on flashes or other accessories?

I used to have a K20D too but I traded it for a K-x for its low-light ability.

Which would you keep, K-x or K10D?
I sum it up, the two happiest days of my life were the day I bought a K-10 and the day I sold it !

I actually had two K-10's and sold them, bought two K-20D's and have not looked back - IMHO the K-20D sensor was light years ahead.

I have a K-x and it is as great little camera. For me, I would chuck the K-10D

For me and the kind of shooting I do, I want very good high ISO performance, AF is not real important but can be an issue.

The K-5 has one feature that absolutely floats my boat, and that is the HDR settings .... being able to shoot three consecutive shots at different exposure values and then having them automatically stitched together is a MAJOR plus for me.

For this reason I may want a K-r for some work also !

Just so you know, the reason I did not like the K-10D was the high ISO ability was HORRIBLE, the quality of the body was great, but I hated that sensor.

The K200D has the same sensor but seems much improved, (but those are packed up, ready to sell as they need to make room for the K-5 before the year is up !)

wll