Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #1

K-x or K10D, which one would you keep?

Hi all, this is my first post ever

I own a K-x, and recently I've bought a k10D due to a price which I couldn't pass

Now here is a dilemma:

I could only afford to keep one body.

Should I sell the K10D or should I sell the K-x for some extra cash on flashes or other accessories?

I know K-x has better high ISO capability, but I know K10D is more meant to be a photographer's camera, but it has only iso 1600.

I used to have a K20D too but I traded it for a K-x for its low-light ability.

Which would you keep, K-x or K10D?

03-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you take a lot of pictures in the dark/inside? That's basically what it's gonna boil down to. The K-x is likely to have superior picture quality at all ISOs, but negligibly so in the lower range, so high-ISO is the dealbreaker no matter which way you end up rolling. What the K10D has going for it is usability, but you already know that. It's pretty bad at ISO 800 and up compared to modern cameras (not intending to start a discussion here, I know you can fix it up pretty nicely in RAW)

If you already had a K20D and switched from that because of the low-light ability, a K10D is not likely to make you happy.

Me, I just bought a used K10D a week ago, also due to a price I couldn't pass up. I also created a thread here, saying that I would need to sell my K100D Super because I couldn't afford or justify keeping both. Here I am though, finding myself totally unable to part with my K100DS
03-30-2010, 01:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-x is a lot better than the K-10D in other aspects aside from high ISO performance. (faster AF and fps for example) Used K-10Ds with plenty of mileage are cheap because niggling problems like AF issues start to show up over time.
03-30-2010, 01:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Depends on how long you plan to keep your camera for

If you plan to upgrade (again) any time soon, I'd recommend keeping and using the k10d briefly to get accustomed to the pleasures of dual dials and weather resistance. However, the K-x has excellent high-iso performance which will drastically change your shooting capabilities in low light. Tough call, I would base the decision on your shooting habits, though you can't really go wrong either way.

03-30-2010, 06:02 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I also own both and while the K10's body construction is superior to that of the K-x, the K-x is a much better camera in so many ways. One of those ways that hasn't been mentioned is the auto white balance in the K-x is superior to that of the K10 and then you have the High ISO performance of the K-x that is superior to just about anything out there. The K-x is a camera that you will help you learn the art of photography easier than the K10 (which is a great camera). Good luck!
03-30-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like an eassy one:

You've sold a K20D to get a K-x with a certain motivation. Next you add a K10D and wonder which one to keep.
Your motivation why you bought the K-x in the first place no longer stands

Option 3:
Sell both and get a K20D again and add a flash.
03-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Sounds like an eassy one:

You've sold a K20D to get a K-x with a certain motivation. Next you add a K10D and wonder which one to keep.
Your motivation why you bought the K-x in the first place no longer stands

Option 3:
Sell both and get a K20D again and add a flash.
Exactly. If you sell the K-x, then you've essentially downgraded from a K20d to K10d and probably lost some money in the process!
03-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The ONLY reason for me to purchase a KX would be to get 3200/6400 iso on the cheap.

Beyond that it's a crappy little plastic cam and no where in the same league as a K10D.

For some reason the K10D sensor has a lot more punch & sharpness at 100/200 iso.

After shooting extensively with the Kx, 7D & K7, D90, D300s, I can say the K10D can hold it's own up to iso 400 and even 1600 if you expose properly & shoot raw - good prints up to A4.

I would buy a D90 before a KX (same sensor) as it can be had 2nd hand (almost new) with the excellent 18-105 vr for not much more $ than the KX

03-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm a bit against the grain here but I'd go for the Kx. Because I did. I sold my K20D to get a Kx and a little cash for lenses. I have not regretted it much, if at all. It took a bit of time to get used to the lack of front wheel & top lcd but the IQ makes up for it. All of my shots at any ISO seem sharper with the Kx than the K20D. And the better ISO performance and autofocus are bonuses as well. I use AF-S center so I just lock and shoot. The only thing that I miss is my grip, as I shoot the majority of my shots in vertical format.

The goal was to get better pictures than the K20D. That I've got by a good margin.
03-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
Forum Member

dylansalt said:
QuoteQuote:
The ONLY reason for me to purchase a KX would be to get 3200/6400 iso on the cheap.

Beyond that it's a crappy little plastic cam and no where in the same league as a K10D.

For some reason the K10D sensor has a lot more punch & sharpness at 100/200 iso.

After shooting extensively with the Kx, 7D & K7, D90, D300s, I can say the K10D can hold it's own up to iso 400 and even 1600 if you expose properly & shoot raw - good prints up to A4.

I would buy a D90 before a KX (same sensor) as it can be had 2nd hand (almost new) with the excellent 18-105 vr for not much more $ than the KX
"crappy little plastic cam" - wow, pretty harsh, and I think very untrue.

I have a K10D, and it's a great camera. But I too am thinking of upgrading to a K-x, for the following reasons:
  • Faster FPS than K10D
  • Has ISO 3200, and even 6400
  • MUCH better noise handling at high ISO
  • Better dynamic range at High ISO
  • Fast AF speed, especially in low light.
  • Video
  • Higher resolution.

I shoot a lot of indoor sports, and the K10D really struggles with noise. Also, I'd love to get 4.7 FPS. And, it'd be nice to shoot some video at my sons' basketball games without having to carry and extra camera.

I shoot RAW at ISO 1600, and I use ETTR techniques, and the K-x is still still WAY better than the K10D at ISO 1600.

And if I shot the K10D at ISO 1600 underexposed by 1 or two stops, and then tried to push it in PP, it would look horrendous compared to what the K-x can do. The newer CMOS sensor is simply better at high ISO.

The D90 is a great camera as well, bit there no way you can buy a used D90 with a 18-105 VR lens for "not much more" than a K-x.

Greg
03-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #11

I think it really depends on what kind of photography you'll be doing and how you normally use your camera.

If you tend to shoot in P mode or not mess with metering, bracketing, focus points, etc too regularly, I'd just stick with the Kx. I just upgraded to a Kx after using a K10d for the past 3 yrs, and both cameras have their pros/cons.

Kx: smaller, AAA battery, lighter, way better iso, faster AF
K10d: front/back dials, weather seals, AF indicators
03-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #12

I went from the K10D to the Kx and never looked back. There is no "what kind of shooting do you do" in this choice. The Kx is the far better camera, hands down, in all shooting situations.
03-31-2010, 02:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
I went from the K10D to the Kx and never looked back. There is no "what kind of shooting do you do" in this choice. The Kx is the far better camera, hands down, in all shooting situations.
If you're in the pouring rain..?
03-31-2010, 04:55 AM   #14

You would be in the pouring rain with a better camera.
03-31-2010, 04:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Sell them both and get a K-7.

Jason