Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2010, 03:12 AM   #1

Salt spray on camera

Hi all,
I've just got my brand new K-7 after too many years away from serious stills photography.
One of the reason I got a K7 rather than the competition was its weatherproofing.
But I'll be going out sailing soon, and will be in salt water spray.
Two questions - should I trust that weatherproofing totally, (and if I do, what is the best way to clean the camera afterwards), OR should I get a decent proper waterproof housing, and if so what would anyone recommend?

Yours,

Splicer.

03-30-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
weather proofing

Congrats on your new K-7. I love mine. I've had it out in rain and didn't have any problems, but of course adding salt to anything is often not good news. I think the weather sealing on the camera itself is pretty good (there are videos on youtube of people standing in showers with them etc.), but you also want to consider the weather proofing on your lens. Some of them are definitely better than others. Good luck. Post some of your pictures when you get back.
03-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Some people had coffee accidentally spilled over their camera and to clean it up, they pour clean water to run down the residual substance. I think after your camera has been exposed to salty water, it will be a good idea to pour some clean water to wipe the salt on the camera.

Remember, the weather seal only works if you have a weather seal lens attached to it.
03-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would stress that the weather resistance WR is not meant for 'waterproof'. The WR is an added bonus, insurance, .... Off cause the WR is linked with your lens and I assume that you have a WR lens.

What kind of sailing are you doing? If you are on a larger sail boat, you may not need any extra bag/protection. I have done a lot of photographs from a 7-m sail boat without any problem,as long as I wipe regularly the camera and I rinse gently the salt away afterwards. On the other hand, if you sail on a smaller boat and get constantly splashed, you should get a waterproof bag/housing. There were earlier post at Pentaxforums.com on some waterproof bag that fit to your camera lens. (See the Accessories forum section)

Overall the K-7 is touhg, rugged camera, and I tend to be more worried about the lenses than by the camera itself. If you have non WR lenses, the zoom lenses are the most at risk when you extend and retract the zoom. Prime lenses are less at risk. For example, my Nokton 58mm is not WR; but it is built like a 'tank' and it took already a lot of water (rain and splash) and salt. Off course I clean it as often as possible but had no problem to date despite some tough outdoor conditions.

Hope that the comments will help...

03-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #5

I just came back from Mexico while I was there we got a tour to go whale viewing using my K7 and my DA*300mm lens both got totally soaked in seawater spray. All I did was poor freshwater from a drinking bottle on the whole assembly had absolutely no problems with the camera or lense.A Nikon shooter just about flipped when he saw what I was doing I just had to smile a bit.
03-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I always wipe the camera with a wet tissue (fresh water) generously, when I come back from the shore and the camera got a lot of salt spray. That was always good enough. Salt water leaves somewhat sticky residue and thus it is easy to recognize, whether the cleaning was good enough or whether you need to continue…

Shooting at the sea front is among the few occassions where I use a front filter on the lens for protection. At least with older lenses, the coatings may get damaged by the salt water or the neccessary more intense cleaning. The new Pentax coatings seem to be harder wearing.

Ben
03-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
Remember, the weather seal only works if you have a weather seal lens attached to it.
That's not really true. The seals that exist continue to work perfectly and protect the camera against water entering from those many points. It is true that without a sealed lens, the camera is potentially at risk from water entering through the lens or lens mount. In practice though, this doesn't normally happen to that great an extent if you're even reasonably careful.
03-30-2010, 03:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all,
very helpful replies.
I was thinking of using the kit lenses, both WR, so that therefore would not be a problem for me.
Further question - would using a (low pressure) hose be an acceptable way of washing, or
would that be too strong?

03-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Splicer Quote
Thank you all,
very helpful replies.
I was thinking of using the kit lenses, both WR, so that therefore would not be a problem for me.
Further question - would using a (low pressure) hose be an acceptable way of washing, or
Using a hose is certainly out of specs with Pentax. So, if you it, do it at your own risk. I good wipe should also be sufficient - it always was for my equipment.

Ben
03-31-2010, 08:59 AM   #10

Thank you all,
very helpful replies.
I believe wiping it down with a damp towel a few times should be sufficient.
04-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #11

Be careful to check after washing down ...

After taking my K-7 and 18-55WR fishing and getting saltwater splashes on it I have learned to be careful to check all the little nooks and crannies - especially the many screw holes on the base and the mirror box area, even inside the pop-up flash area -no matter if you didn't raise it! Even after being washed down and dried some often I have found salty residue remained on the screws in the recesses. It so cool that such an affordable camera is tough even to take saltwater in its stride.
04-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer the wipe with damp cloth system of cleaning after salt spray. I got an Orca splash on my film KX and A 70-210 - neither of which has any weather proofing. The family was not very sympathetic and laughed at me as I carefully wiped everything with a damp paper towel over and over again.

I don't have the KX anymore; it did work fine for three more years. My daughter is happily taking pictures with the A 70-210 on her K200 to this day. Wipe with damp cloth/paper towels works just fine.
04-09-2010, 03:08 AM   #13

I had a panasonic fz18 before the k10d and used that in the rain a bit, never had a problem. I think people don't realize how tiny the crevices are, water surface tension doesn't help much in getting it inside... But for sure you are risking itmuch more than with a WR body like the K10D which I've used more extensively in the rain (I'm in Scotland...) with no WR lens and no problem. Juts tilt the body down to minimize problems on the lens, and wipe it when you can...
04-09-2010, 06:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I would pretty much follow what other people of said. When I went sailing with my K20D it got covered with salt spray and it actually had a white film on the body when I was done. When I got home I wiped the whole camera and lens down with a damp towel and made sure all the salt was off. That was almost 10 months ago and it still works great.

Cory
04-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

would using a (low pressure) hose be an acceptable way of washing, or
I think using a hose would be too much overkill and the pressure might let those water in were normal cleaning would not.
Salt might also tend to mess up rubber ( as in the seals), so it would be a very important note to consider.