Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
First, you can't assign shutter speed to a dial in Av. To do what you are saying, you have to shoot in P, as was already said. Second, there are a bunch of odd variables that using P introduces. For example, at f/2.8, I can press the green button and get 1/30. No problem dropping it lower. But if I drop the speed, I can't bring it back up again without hitting the green button once more. Stopping down to other apertures has similarly odd effects. What you say sounds right on paper, but is goofy in reality.
Actually, what Arpe said didn't make sense to me even on paper (so to speak). As he said, he hasn't tried it himself. Arpe: Try it and you'll see what you've got wrong.

Jodokast: I don't understand why you say you can't bring the shutter speed up again without hitting the green button. When I use P mode (on the K10D or K20D), I can move the aperture or the shutter in any direction AND BACK AGAIN simply by moving the appropriate e-dial. And I can switch from effective Av mode to effective Tv mode simply by switching from the rear e-dial to the front e-dial. I almost never hit the green button in P mode.

QuoteQuote:
So far, Manual on the camera with either A or P-TTL on the flash, or TAv on the camera with an Auto ISO of 100-200 (or 400 if one is happy with that) and P-TTL on the flash seems to be the easiest options of getting the exact shutter speed you want.
Yeah, I'm not going with the TAv + auto-ISO idea. With flash, there's almost never a good reason to raise the ISO above 400. And I'd rather set the ISO and leave it there.

Will

03-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
What you say sounds right on paper, but is goofy in reality.
Ahhh, so our cameras are made by Disney!

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Actually, what Arpe said didn't make sense to me even on paper (so to speak). As he said, he hasn't tried it himself. Arpe: Try it and you'll see what you've got wrong.
Sorry, I post at work and can't try stuff there. Not being able to make the other edial Tv puts paid to my idea!
03-31-2010, 02:37 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you done it with the flash on how I described it above, in a dim room? Pressing the Green button sets exposure based on using the flash it seems. But attempting to change to Av or Tv mode seems to negate the fact that there is a flash there and the camera now will only let you set an exposure within non-flash limits. Under different lighting, I'm sure there are different results. My point in the end that using P seems to bring in some odd variables that are better dealt with by shooting another mode.