Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax spotted on the sideline of a Division 1 football game

So, here I am visiting my son-in-law and his family for the extended weekend in South Florida and he gets me a sideline pass to the Division 1 football game where he is one of the attending physicians on the sidelines who take care of injured players during the games.

Knowing that that the trip was for a family visit, I didn't bring any long (and heavy) lenses from California to Florida. For the game, it was either the DA50-200/4-5.6 (too slow) or the FA77/1.8 (fast enough but not long enough). I went with the FA77 . . . and got some good shots after all.

In the fourth quarter, it started raining and I went to the dugout (Dolphin Stadium, where the Florida Marlins play) to wait out the shower. Who should also show up, but another Pentax shooter! This was nice as all the other sideline cameras were either Canon or Nikon. Fellow had a DS2 and a Sigma 70-200/2.8 lens.

Didn't chat with him, but it was nice to have a kindred spirit in the stadium.

11-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That's incredible!

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
In the fourth quarter, it started raining and I went to the dugout (Dolphin Stadium, where the Florida Marlins play) to wait out the shower. Who should also show up, but another Pentax shooter! This was nice as all the other sideline cameras were either Canon or Nikon. Fellow had a DS2 and a Sigma 70-200/2.8 lens.

Didn't chat with him, but it was nice to have a kindred spirit in the stadium.
Hi Stephen!

That's really cool that you saw another Pentax photographer at a sports event.

You were on the East Coast for the holidays? Hope you had a great time! How did the K10D hold up to the rain or did you risk it?

Oh yeah, can't wait to see the pictures you took!

Last edited by photo_mom; 11-26-2006 at 07:28 PM. Reason: forgot to ask about the pictures!
11-26-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

cooool...you dont get to see too many pentax shooters around.
when I went out to the zoo the other day, I probably saw 6 Nikons, probably twice as many Canons, and 1 KM. No Pentax....
11-26-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Pictures, man! We want pictures!

That's really neat you were on the sidelines. Was the game at night? I'd would've thought the DA50-200 would be fine for a day game. Who was playing?

I never see Pentax out in public. I notice dSLRs all the time now, but I've never seen a Pentax at any of the big photography events (hot air balloons, air show, Christmas light display, etc). I did run across a K10D at a store in NW Arkansas (small town of Rogers). I was really impressed by the feel and handling. Made me want one.

11-26-2006, 10:01 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi Stephen!

That's really cool that you saw another Pentax photographer at a sports event.

You were on the East Coast for the holidays? Hope you had a great time! How did the K10D hold up to the rain or did you risk it?

Does Steven have a K10D or...
... or is it that we all have the K10D on our minds
11-26-2006, 10:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by waqas Quote
Does Steven have a K10D or...
... or is it that we all have the K10D on our minds

heh..good one
11-27-2006, 01:38 AM   #7
Forum Member

I work in a hotel in Sydney, and the amount of guests that triapse through with nikons and canons is unbelievable! Though yesterday I think I saw only the third pentax in all the time I've been working there - 3 years!

And I kinda hope it stays that way, to be honest. I like the 'boutiqueness' of it all!
11-27-2006, 07:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote

Hi Tracy,

Still in Florida. I sent my K10D off to Katz Eye so that they could fabricate a screen for the K10D. Mailed it last Wednesday after work and they will return it to me in a week, maybe two depending on how much engineering they need to do and if an existing model screen would fit okay. Katz Eye do quite a bit of extensive testing to determine exactly how their screens affect metering. They are no slack organization. I'm using my K100D for this trip.

Images will have to wait until I get back to California, but a batch conversion of the RAW files show that most came out pretty good. Loving that Shake Reduction!

11-27-2006, 07:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Pictures, man! We want pictures!
Images will have to wait until I return to California. Also, need to figure out how to post images to this forum. Been on dpreview for several years, but new here.

QuoteQuote:
That's really neat you were on the sidelines. Was the game at night? I'd would've thought the DA50-200 would be fine for a day game. Who was playing?
Night game, in Dolphin stadium. My son-in-law said the Super Bowl will be in that stadium this year. Big stadium, but I was surprised how 'trashed' the place is. Nothing at all like Dodger stadium, which is pretty much in perfect condition. Florida Atlantic University played some other local Florida D1 university. Their last game of the season. Other team was winless this year. FAU finished the season 5-7, or something like that.
11-28-2006, 11:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Cool.
Well look for me on TV. I am often covering a veriety of events. I sued to cover lacrosse alot, but shifting to other sports now. I typicaly have a few bodies on me, a 300mm FA* F2.8 on a monopod, and a pentax hat on.
Its always cool to runinto a nother pentaxian and I always ask them to pose for me. I have a small file of "found pentax shooters"
11-29-2006, 05:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I never see Pentax out in public.
Come out, come out wherever you ARE!
11-29-2006, 04:27 PM   #12

Image by Mr_Ist at pbase.

Scotland v Australia Rugby Union International, Murryfield Stadium Edinburgh
25th November 2006, 65K crowd in the stadium and probably a couple of million plus watching live world wide.
11-29-2006, 04:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Our glorious rugby team, the All Blacks, just went on a tour of Europe, played England, France twice, and Wales (and won all games btw!). But while watching the England game I noticed there was actually a Pentax hoarding along the sideline! All I saw was "Pentax", and only briefly so I don't know if there was more after that, but at least it was there. Didn't see it again
11-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey McBrian beat me to it! Just. But note he doesn't tell us who won!
11-29-2006, 04:41 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Hey McBrian beat me to it! Just. But note he doesn't tell us who won!
You guys from down under ALWAYS beat us, must be the voodoo dancing that makes us lie down