Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-x sticky shutter release trigger/button

I've shot close to 9,500 frames now with my K-x, which I got last Dec. 17. I reached that number so soon(?) coz I use it for events coverage, wherein I like to shoot in continuous mode. Also, this is my first dSLR that's why I went out with it on a lot of photo opportunities.

Now, I noticed my shutter release trigger is not as springy as it used to be (although my Canon user friend commented back when my K-x was brand new that the release trigger felt soft or loose). Whenever I half press the button, it will stay that way most of the time. I have to give it a slight tap or nudge to let it come back up. Staying half pressed doesn't affect the camera function though. There's no force on the button, just that the silver piece is stuck or sticking on the body.

Also, I also noticed recently the power switch has a small gap between it and the body.

I can say I am very careful with my camera. I am not a rough user or heavy button presser. When I go out under the sun, I keep my camera in the bag or under my shadow, or keep it covered with something. I make sure my sweat doesn't fall on it. One time we were shooting night landscapes on the beach, we noticed the salty wind was blowing hard. I didn't dare bring out my camera until we figured we should wrap it with cloth in order to prevent it from being exposed to the wind. When I went hiking two weeks ago, I kept it dry and safe. If my strap gets soaked in sweat, I don't toss it back in the bag with the camera. Yes, I only store my K-x in the camera bag which came with it from the camera store.

So, what do you guys think is wrong? Did moisture or dirt find its way somehow in between the shutter release trigger/ button? Do I need a dry box? Does it need lubrication somewhere? Does anybody else have that gap between the body and the on/off switch? Do I need to bring it to the store for repair/warranty? Or, is the K-x really ain't built for professional work, albeit it has a rated shutter life of 100,000 cycles? Am I overusing it already?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks in advance! :-)

Last edited by alaricxyz; 03-30-2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: fixed image links
03-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Could very well be something slipped in there. Looking at the photos, the button on my K-x is the same.

My previous cam, K2000, has basically the same body as the K-x, and made it thru over 12000 shots, snow, rain, sleet, sand, dirt... and never had a problem. If I were you, I'd send it in for repair. It doesn't sound like you mistreated your K-x at all.
03-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well you can't avoid sweat or dirt. So some is going to get in. But with the first 2 photos, Are you trying to show that by pushing on the word "OFF" you can push that ring down? If so Mine does not do that. It's solid and does not rise up or flex at all. It's under warranty and I'd send it in for service under warranty.

This is why I have 4 bodies, if one goes down, then I'm covered. If you are doing paid work of any kind, you have no choice but to have at least 2 bodies and IMO you should have 3 of similar quality.
03-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Well you can't avoid sweat or dirt. So some is going to get in. But with the first 2 photos, Are you trying to show that by pushing on the word "OFF" you can push that ring down? If so Mine does not do that. It's solid and does not rise up or flex at all. It's under warranty and I'd send it in for service under warranty.

This is why I have 4 bodies, if one goes down, then I'm covered. If you are doing paid work of any kind, you have no choice but to have at least 2 bodies and IMO you should have 3 of similar quality.
The ring on mine shows the same flex as the OP's. It's very slight, and probably exaggerated a bit in the photos due to the shadow. I have to press firmly to make it flex.

If I were doing paid work on a fairly consistent basis, I'd get a K7 as my main camera in addition to my K-x.

03-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for your insights, flippedgazelle and Peter Zack!
@ Peter, that's a yes. If I push on the ring, the gap is sealed. I really didn't notice that there before.

With these problems, should I ask for a repair service warranty or unit replacement? Doesn't every repair made on the camera affect its future performance somehow?
03-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alaricxyz Quote
Thanks for your insights, flippedgazelle and Peter Zack!
@ Peter, that's a yes. If I push on the ring, the gap is sealed. I really didn't notice that there before.

With these problems, should I ask for a repair service warranty or unit replacement? Doesn't every repair made on the camera affect its future performance somehow?
IMHO, if given the option, I'd go for a straight repair. A replacement unit would likely be a refurb, and if you are otherwise happy with the camera, I wouldn't want to risk trading a know quantity for an unknown quantity.
03-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Banned

I just want to say to the OP, chill mate. you seem to be overly worried and overly cautious. far more than you need be. and no you do not need a dry box. I cant say what is wrong, but based on the comment about the 'loose' button, it could be that there was something wrong from the factory, and your use has cause it to start failing prematurely. you are certainly not over using your camera. just send it in to pentax for repair, I imagine this will be covered under warranty.

03-31-2010, 04:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
IMHO, if given the option, I'd go for a straight repair. A replacement unit would likely be a refurb, and if you are otherwise happy with the camera, I wouldn't want to risk trading a know quantity for an unknown quantity.
I agree. I've sent 2 in over the last few years and would much prefer getting my camera back than someone else's. In both cases they came back better than new (updated software, cleaner etc).

séamuis is right. relax a bit. You'd be shocked if you watched how I treat my stuff on a wedding. Someone posted that a wedding is a 100meter dash that lasts all day and you do it in a suit. No time to baby anything.
03-31-2010, 04:56 AM   #9
Inactive Account

The spring that is under the silver button is not very strong. Just the normal oils and grime that get on your fingers is transfered down along the sides of the button.
I've had to clean both my DS and K200D. I use contact cleaner sprayed on a q-tip to let it run down the sides of the button. I then work the button for a minute or so. This usually gets it clean so it doesn't want to stick at half press.