Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #16

If you want a better finder perhaps stretch for a K-7?

04-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
For the OP

I agree with Marc's comments.

I would probably consider keeping the second DS that you own, specifically for support of TTL flash. Since you use a lot of M42 lenses this to me would seem to be an important issue.

Aside from that point, any new camera with SR offers a significant benefit, and the K-X would be a huge improvement in that regard.

With respect to metering I have posted the performance of *istD, K10D (stock screen) K10D (using *istD screen) K10D (using Jinfinance split image) and K7D with stock screen, all done using an SMC-Pentax 50mmF1.4 lens several times.

I truely wish other forum members would take me up on the request to perform a series of shots and either e-mail them to me or post JPEGs of the center 10% of the shot, when using green button against a uniformly lit block wall or paved surface, so I can add the performance of all other cameras and focusing screen variations. It would be a great benefit to all those who have questions about manual lenses and metering performance

I have attached my results again for reference.

Lowell, could you please explain how you obtain the units for the "Grey Scale Average Exposure" - what are these units and how are they obtained?
04-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
Lowell, could you please explain how you obtain the units for the "Grey Scale Average Exposure" - what are these units and how are they obtained?
I use a block wAll that gets uniform illumination (south exposure) and meter using the green button. To measure exposure I open the file in PSP X3 and using the histogram measure the grey scale value of the central 10% of the frame with the selection tool
04-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
kx got high megapixel and better high iso and faster focus. the ds is using ccd sensor, it might get better color and it is weather seals.

04-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The *ist DS is a very capable camera, but it is very slow. Personally I really liked the photos that I got from it though. If you're wanting the newest technology and don't want to wait 10 seconds for it to process a burst of 4 photos then I'd go with the K-x. Both cameras aren't weather sealed though and the *ist DS has visible AF points on the viewfinder, while the K-x does not.