Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 05:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-X vs. *ist DS

This might seem like a strange comparison to some, but this is my situation..... I shoot mostly with manual focusing M42 screwmount Takumar primes. For this purpose, I utilize a pair of *ist DS bodies with Katz-Eye split-image screens. One of them recently went kablooey on me. Being old, cheaply replaced bodies, repairing it isn't a practical solution. This leaves me with the options of either replacing it with another DS or possibly a K-X. I would like to take advantage of the updated capabilities (especially high ISO performance) this camera offers, but what bothers me about the K-X more than anything else is the Penta-Mirror viewfinder as opposed to the superior Penta-Prism viewfinder in the DS. How much of a difference in practical matters will this actually be, especially as I will have the DS to constantly be comparing it to (I frequently employ both bodies at the same shoot, so as not to be constantly switching lenses from wide to telephoto)? I will, by the way, also be replacing the K-X viewfinder screen with a Katz-Eye, if I decide to take that route.

03-31-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I have a DS and K200D, both with ME Super screens. The DS is a little brighter. But I don't have any problem using the K200 in the same situations.
03-31-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Practically speaking the difference isn't that great. However the K-x does offer the added benefit of Live View to aid manual focusing. Better image quality, better WB, more responsive AF, faster operation, SR and the benefit of high ISO shooting opens up more shooting opportunities which tips the balance towards the K-x.
03-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agonized over upgrading from my DS to my K200D for the same reason. But one handing them side by side, I found that while I could see the difference clearly enough if I literally went quickly back and forth, the difference wasn't such that I could stick on to my face and tell which was which. Ultimately I got an O-ME53 magnifier for my K200D so now it's virtually the same size as the DS. I don't really notice a difference in brightness with my lenses, but I most shoot primes as opposed to the kit lenses, and I gather the difference in brightness might be more noticeable at slower max apertures.

In short, I would let it stop you from getting the K-x. Only support to TTL flash would stop me, and only if I cared abut that, which I don't. In all respects, the K-x should seem like a HUGE step up. More resolution (enough to actually matter), even better high ISO performance, SR, better AF, larger LCD, faster operation, pretty much you name it, it runs circles around the DS.

03-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How about metering issues? It seems to be commonly accepted knowledge that the *ist series provide more accurate readings with older manual prime Takumars than any subsequent models. How does the K-X fare in this matter?
03-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I moved from DS to K-m. To me, the AF advantage outweigh the pentaprism. Besides, despite the DS has solid glass prism, its overall viewfinder quality is still low for maual focus compared to good old bodies from the 80's or earlier.
03-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I started with DS and got K100Ds later on. I got used to the pentamiror rather easy until after some time I took trusty DS for a spin. The pentaprism does make a difference eve more so when manual focusing. Later when I got used K10D I kept it solely for the prism. I also noticed that pentaprism has less glare

03-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
How about metering issues? It seems to be commonly accepted knowledge that the *ist series provide more accurate readings with older manual prime Takumars than any subsequent models. How does the K-X fare in this matter?
I don't think that's true. The DS, K100D, and K200D are completely identical in this respect as far as I can tell. It's only the later *pentaprism* models - K10D and K20D in particular - that have problems.
03-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I don't think that's true. The DS, K100D, and K200D are completely identical in this respect as far as I can tell. It's only the later *pentaprism* models - K10D and K20D in particular - that have problems.
Are you saying that the K-X meters as well as the DS, K100D, & K200D with early manual primes?
03-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm saying the DS, K100D, and K200D all meter the same with manual primes according to my direct experience. I don't have direct experience with the K-x to say, but since as far as I know it shares the same focus screen as the K100D and K200D, and the focus screen is supposedly the cause of the K10D and K20D issues, it seems logical to assume it wouldn't have the same issues.

On the other hand, if you shoot a lot with manual lenses, you might be put off slightly by the lack of a dedicated DOF control to display a live metering (the DOF preview is done by a button press instead, meaning you have to customize that button to perform that function rather than whatever else it might do), and the fact that this operation, as well as the button press to momentarily stop down to take a meter reading and set a shutter speed (equivalent of AE-L on the DS) also flips the mirror for some odd reason. Not necessarily a huge deal, but it does make metering manua lenses *louder* than with the DS.
04-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Since metering accuracy is so dependent upon the installed screen, I wonder what the effect would be with the Katz-Eye Optibrtite screen I would be installing?
04-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the OP

I agree with Marc's comments.

I would probably consider keeping the second DS that you own, specifically for support of TTL flash. Since you use a lot of M42 lenses this to me would seem to be an important issue.

Aside from that point, any new camera with SR offers a significant benefit, and the K-X would be a huge improvement in that regard.

With respect to metering I have posted the performance of *istD, K10D (stock screen) K10D (using *istD screen) K10D (using Jinfinance split image) and K7D with stock screen, all done using an SMC-Pentax 50mmF1.4 lens several times.

I truely wish other forum members would take me up on the request to perform a series of shots and either e-mail them to me or post JPEGs of the center 10% of the shot, when using green button against a uniformly lit block wall or paved surface, so I can add the performance of all other cameras and focusing screen variations. It would be a great benefit to all those who have questions about manual lenses and metering performance

I have attached my results again for reference.

04-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The K100D has a metering bug with any adapted lens that does not short the "A" contacts on the body's lens mount. i.e. if you use the same lens with a flanged adapter which shorts them out and then with the genuine one which doesn't, you'd get different exposure readings, with the genuine adapter underexposing quite a bit.

Also regarding pentaprism vs pentamirror - it's very marginal, and not enough to care (I can compare between the *ist D and K100D). There's a huge difference going from APS-C to FF viewfinders but not between Pentax APS-C ones.
04-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
The K100D has a metering bug with any adapted lens that does not short the "A" contacts on the body's lens mount. i.e. if you use the same lens with a flanged adapter which shorts them out and then with the genuine one which doesn't, you'd get different exposure readings, with the genuine adapter underexposing quite a bit.
The same is true with most pentax DSLRs, the metering does have a consistent error, and tendancy to underexpose when the lens contacts are not shorted, My *istD is the same, and requires about 1-1.5 EV overexposure compendation to get correct, BUT once this is taken into account, it meters quite well and is not impacted by the non linearity like the K10D.
04-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #15

I just had compared a DS viewfinder with a K-X. Out in the streets where the surrounding is only lighted by street lights. Both fitted with their respective kit lenses. The K-x's VS is noticably smaller, but not noticably dimmer.

In my layman's understanding, the pentamirror cannot match the brightness of a pentaprism, but that may be true only if they have the same magnification and coverage (same size?).