Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Upgrade path from K100D Super

Hello,

Oh no! Not another this vs that thread!!

OK, here is the deal. Photography is a hobby for me, not a source of income. Read cost, not investment. So I can not really justify (especially to my wife) spending a fortune in gear often. Heck, My main camera was a K1000 from 1989 to 2007 when I got my K100D Super.
I absolutely love my K100DS and I plan to keep it forever. It is a great camera. However, thanks in part to this forum and to a local photo club, I have begun to ever so slightly scratch its limits. So I'm thinking what could be next. The K-x is an attractive consideration, but I have found myself a lot outdoors running with a plastic bag to cover the camera. So I think WR will be useful for me. I have read about K20D and K7 and one vs the other till exhaustion comparing up to atoms count. I'd like to hear from actual users of both how do these 2 compare in real life, especially in these paramerters that are important to me.

Budget: K20D has the lead
AF speed:????
fps and buffer speed in RAW: ????
ISO performance? ????
Dynamic Range: ????

These are mainly the parameters I'm hitting the limits on with my K100DS. Besides that WR and "cropability" will be welcome.

In my local club (where I'm the only Pentaxian) I've been able to try everything from full frame 5D MkIIs (with a 300 f2.8 yikes!), 1Ds, and D90s to film Rebel Gs and F5 and everything in between. Of course, been a Pentax fanboy for over 25 years, I'd like to keep it in the family.
Let me hear your comments.

Thanks,

03-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #2

One of the nice things about going from a K100D to a K-7 is that they are basically the same size, and the main controls are in the same spots. Switching back and forth between a K100D and K10D was a little hard for me, but from the K100D to the K-7 is very natural. And it runs circles around the K100D in just about every respect. I ended up getting rid of the K100D because there was just no reason to ever want to use it compared to the K-7.
03-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before asking for recommendations, ask yourself this:

What do I feel limited by with the K100DS that upgrading to a different camera will achieve?
03-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

And the other consideration is what you want out of a camera.
No need to be a fanboy just go with the one that suits you best.
If the K20D fits the bill well, then look no further. If you want video or faster frames per second, then the K-x or K-7 is better. If you want more than what they offer, go D700 or 5DMkII.

03-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I went from the Spotmatic and M-bodies pretty much straight to the *istDS shortly after it appeared, then the K100DS, and then happily stopped upgrading with the K200D. Right size, enough MIPS, AA's, WR . . . it's a solid camera -- I've accumulated four of 'em. Very few complaints, no 'malware' upgrades needed an' they liked all my old M42 glass.

H2