Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Learning to love the K10D

The K10D I bought a little while ago -- until half an hour ago I wasn't sure at all about the purchase. I felt I was getting less detail and more noise than my K100D Super, with not really a lot of additional usability improvements either, and when on top of all that I realized that the AF was acting up and backfocusing (A LOT) me and the K10D didn't really get off on the right foot.

Well, today I tried out my whole new setup/workflow (K10D + my new FA 50/1.7 lens that came in the mail today + my new Lightroom 2.5 setup) and let's just say that shooting RAW at ISO 100 (with this super-sharp lens,) I'm amazed at the level of detail I can wring out of the files. Don't think I'd be able to pull quite this much out of the K100D.

(100% crop, lots of detail!)

(100% crop, smooth gradations!)

The photos are stupid and overprocessed (because I'm having fun with Lightroom, which I don't know very well yet) but the quality -- lovin' it. So yeah, I'm learning to appreciate this thing, at this point most of my doubts about the sensor's capabilities are dispelled. Just wanted to share.

03-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the darkness of these images. I do not play too much with post processing but these sort of scenes often make me want to rethink getting more involved with different software tools.
Congratulations of getting a K10 and the lens!
03-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
At low iso the K10D produces excellent images, maybe even better than later models. I am content with mine, too.
Cheers - Klaus
03-31-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been using it lately with M and K lenses, and it has been super. IMO, it is bested by its successors only >ISO 800.

03-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I love my K10D so much I am having a hard time convincing myself to buy a K-7 .. despite the fact it has a scratched sensor, the memory card door is held closed with red electrical tape and the onboard flash seems to be choosing some VERY strange settings these days.
03-31-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've had my K10 for a few years now, and I'm beginning to lust after a K20 based upon it's reputation for better pictures at high ISO.

But you're pictures show that the K10 can do it. Please tell us more, enlighten us on the settings and post processing because your pictures are impressive.
03-31-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

K10D was my first DSLR which I used for about 2 years before getting the K-7. You're right that the K10D is a mighty capable camera. K-7 is a significant improvement in some areas, but not a huge leap overall from the K10D. The K10D was a real ground-breaking camera when it came out and still seems to get decent prices second hand too. I didn't find quite enough differences in the K20D to fork out for the upgrade, but when the K-7 came down quite a bit I made the switch.

Erik, were you shooting jpeg before? The K10D's known to produce soft jpegs, while the RAW files are very good.
03-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
K10D was my first DSLR which I used for about 2 years before getting the K-7. You're right that the K10D is a mighty capable camera. K-7 is a significant improvement in some areas, but not a huge leap overall from the K10D. The K10D was a real ground-breaking camera when it came out and still seems to get decent prices second hand too. I didn't find quite enough differences in the K20D to fork out for the upgrade, but when the K-7 came down quite a bit I made the switch.

Erik, were you shooting jpeg before? The K10D's known to produce soft jpegs, while the RAW files are very good.
I also appreciated the K10d much more when I went to raw files; though I can't say I noticed the Jpegs to be soft. I did like the color and other aspects of the raw files better.

03-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

These are brilliant works of art.
Well done with them.
Nice plug for the K10D too. It still is a fine camera in anyone's standards, especially in low ISO settings.
03-31-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I've had my K10 for a few years now, and I'm beginning to lust after a K20 based upon it's reputation for better pictures at high ISO.

But you're pictures show that the K10 can do it. Please tell us more, enlighten us on the settings and post processing because your pictures are impressive.
These are at ISO 100 though, I will have to see later if I can make ISO 800 and up work for me. Settings are nothing fancy, f/5.6 and f/8 with the FA50/1.7. Used a few free presets in Lightroom, cropped and altered them a bit. As I said, just playing around.

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
I was shooting RAW+JPEG when I was first out trying the camera after buying it, and came home really disappointed. Turned out that was mostly down to the terrible focusing errors. I now have the AF adjust set to +120 and it seems to be working out alright, though not perfectly. Otherwise, taking pictures around the house at ISO 400-1600 has also left me frustrated because of the noise, but as soon as you get this thing out into decent light, it's a whole other story. I know the JPEGs are soft, but I'm really trying to move away from ever shooting JPEG, so that's fine. I shot my K100D Super in JPEG mode all the time, but no more!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
These are brilliant works of art.
Well done with them.
Oh man, thanks, but naw... To me, they're just random tests of my new camera and lens with some Lightroom presets on top

But yeah, the FA 50/1.7... Instant love affair with this piece of glass right here folks
04-01-2010, 01:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Oh man, thanks, but naw... To me, they're just random tests of my new camera and lens with some Lightroom presets on top
My friend, you have put the bar very high for your self. Looking forward for more.

Love the second one more than I love my K10D
04-01-2010, 04:30 AM   #12

I like both those images a lot..
I also use a K10D and have done since it came out...together with a nice set of lenses it produces some fantastic shots and I'm only now feeling the desire to upgrade after several years.
However I think I will wait for the K7's successor as I'm still getting such great results from the K10D.
I do agree that it needs to be used at low ISO values...in fact I very rarely take it above ISO400 and try to stay at ISO100 as much as possible.
Mine also had a back focus problem but by following the advice on a couple of threads in this forum I managed to (mostly) sort that out.
It's definitely a great camera...one that I think may be a bit of a classic in years to come.