Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2007, 03:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
Pentax still using sony sensors? I thought they were switching to Kodak?
Very few makers have ever used the Kodak sensors. Oly used only a few Kodaks in their E cameras but soon switch to Pana or else.

For APS-C sensors, Kodak has some but no one have ever used it. I guess there must be some problems with those Kodak sensors, either they are too expensive, and/or performance is inferior and/or the development toolkit and support is insufficient.

07-20-2007, 03:32 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Perhaps you were thinking of the 645D? That was definitely supposed to have a Kodak sensor.

Sony seems like the most likely supplier - although I seem to remember Benjikan saying something along the lines of "Who said Pentax have to use a Sony sensor?", implication being that there was someone else... not heard any more about that though.
07-20-2007, 04:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
Pentax still using sony sensors? I thought they were switching to Kodak?
hi, there were strong rumors around before k10d released that it wouldn't be sony sensor but obvisously (even though pentax have never actually (to my knowledge)) there were some rumors going around a couple of months ago that next one up will not be sony, but everything now points to the new 12.8mp sony sensor. Current thoughts seem to be next years k1d?? will a 14-16mp aps-c non sensor (kodak?) however I saw rumors a week or two ago saying that Sony will release a 14-16mp aps-c high end model early next year, so that one is a wait and see just coincidence that both are saying "14-16mp"???

Phil
07-20-2007, 06:38 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I think 10MP or 12MP is not the issue for most of the users, nor 10fps or 5 fps or even 3fps matters for us.

I think sharper jpegs, improved dynamic range, better exposure accuracy, better AF accuarcy and faster AF and better servo tracking ability would be far more important than a fancy sensor spec. As for the latter two, a new metering system and a new AF system need to be re-designed and developed.

Also, at 10 fps rate, I think quite some of the slower DSLRs cannot do that as the camera time lag of these (usually entry level ones) is more than 1/10th second! The K10D's shortest possible time lag was measured to be 0.107s by the Imaging Resource according to their lab test report.
I would also agree here about dynamic range. That's really what I would want on the top of my list, but I never mention it because I think I've given up internally. :-)

Hopefully SDM will put AF back on track. As far as AE with my camera at least, I know it's quirks enough to intuitively work around them. So, I'm not too concerned with that. I've had other cameras that were much worse and I don't really see this issue as a problem for me personally.

A 5fps camera would be nice, but not really needed for me either....

JPEG processing isn't an issue because I just shoot raw most of the time, but I would love higher compression on RAW files (lossless, of course).

07-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if i get a camera that has over 10mp it going to be a medom format when i got my K10D MP had nothing to do with it i got it for the wether profing mostly and also i like the fact that in .jpg i can hold the button down and it shoots till card is full makes it good for sports i do not have to worry about stoping stoping and whatting on the buffer. the only thing i would replace what i have is that if there is a sencer that will make nose free cencers @ 3200 and not have the same problems as the FF ones
07-20-2007, 05:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
if i get a camera that has over 10mp it going to be a medom format when i got my K10D MP had nothing to do with it i got it for the wether profing mostly and also i like the fact that in .jpg i can hold the button down and it shoots till card is full makes it good for sports i do not have to worry about stoping stoping and whatting on the buffer. the only thing i would replace what i have is that if there is a sencer that will make nose free cencers @ 3200 and not have the same problems as the FF ones
The full frame sensor problem is actually not as serious as most people would believe (including myself before).

At large aperture and low light, the image corners are not very important. Most time it is the background and not in focus.

For wide angle shots, we seldom will use wide openly as we usually do landscape which is bright enough.

The problem only occur for wide angle shoot, use wider opened and with the whole frame in focus as well, which is not commonly happened.

Of course, if the FF sensors don't have the weaknesses at image corners,then it would be perfect!
07-21-2007, 02:39 AM   #22

I have heard the new Pentax will have a 19mp sensor with 24x30 dimensions.

Will just have to wait and see, won't we!!!!
07-21-2007, 04:10 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crashman Quote

Crashman, glad to see you here. I haven't seen you for long since I was banned from the Steve's forum November last year. How are you (and your cats and dogs?)? :-))

I think you've found a right place or maybe the best place for a Pentax forum here! Enjoy!

07-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by crashman Quote

Wow.

I would buy it, no matter the price.
07-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FLASH Quote
Some idea of the Next Pentax SLR?

Has anyone else seen (snip)

As I said in another thread, I'm way too busy enjoying the K10D camera I have to be even thinking about the next Pentax camera. Since there are many new capabilities yet to learn, and many new image ideas yet to explore, the current camera and accessories will keep me well occupied for many more months to come.

stewart
07-23-2007, 10:56 PM   #26
Veteran Member

In August 31 at IMA in Berlin (Germany), Pentax are going to show samthing new.
07-23-2007, 11:31 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
I hope that they do show something new but not "same thing" "new" again! ;-D
07-24-2007, 05:32 AM   #28

Probably the K10D Super.

I am excited none the less.
07-24-2007, 07:12 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote

Do you mean the IFA 2007 consumer electronics trade show in Berlin? This trade fair, held annually towards the end of August (Aug 31 - Sept 5 this year), features products relating to digital imaging, digital music, personal computing, computer gaming, internet, networking, television, video entertainment, satellite-related technology, automotive electronics, and personal communications. With typically nearly a quarter million visitors and herds of press people (5000+), this trade show is often used as a venue for various manufacturers to introduce new products.

The annual IMA trade show in Düsseldorf, on the other hand, mainly serves the coin-operated amusement and vending machine industry. In other words, not the trade show Pentax would likely use to show off new products unless the company really intends to surprise us this year. A coin-operated Pentax gaming machine, anyone?

stewart
07-28-2007, 01:54 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Pentax Germany said:
"IFA 2007
PENTAX auf der IFA in Berlin

Lassen Sie sich während der Internationalen Funkausstellung von den neuesten PENTAX Digital-Highlights überraschen!"

A "Digital-Highlighs surprice"
That can´t be K10D Super...
Nachrichten - Digitalkameras, Fotografie und Ferngläser - PENTAX Europe GmbH