Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #1

Some idea of the Next Pentax SLR?

Has anyone else seen the photo of the new Sony Digital SLR on the digitpedia.com website? From info regarding the specs on that camera, may we deduce what the next Pentax SLR specs might contain? 12 MB, 10 frames per second (JPG) ops?

I suppose that the digital camera evolutionary process means that we will have new cameras about every other year or on occasion every year? The cash flow to maintain this rapid development and keeping up with the next camera company looks to me as though only the 'big' guys will be able to stay in such a race. But it should be fun sitting on the sideline watching all of this.

I only got my K10D a few days ago and from the looks of it and the manual, it will take me a little while to learn how to use this equipment adequately. But yeah, it's gonna be fun!

FLASH

07-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Inactive Account

From what most have said the K10D is enough camera for most and its limitations are mostly over done thanks to the freedom and ease of information gathering online. Years ago no one would have questioned film cameras at the same level that DSLRs get bashed these days.

Yes, the next Sony DSLR may just have a 12mp sensor but I just moved on from Sony/Minolta to Pentax because Pentax had the camera I wanted NOW and a lens roadmap. Sony wasn't really releasing anything of value and the prices for their SSM lenses are unbelievably high.

Have fun with the K10D, I'm sure you'll get some nice pics out of it. Don't worry about what other people or other brands say!!

Tim H
07-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
digitpedia.com - High-quality, focused information about IT world Unnamed Sony D-SLR ready for release

Finally found the page about the sony release. I must say that new dslr prototype is looking pretty good.

I hope pentax will do just a good of a job on their next body. As for lenses, they are still well out of my price range to demand my attention.
07-16-2007, 01:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

More MP is forseeable. 10 fps, probably not anytime soon. Only the top of the line Canons' have the ability right now. To make it dependable as well, the shutter mechanisms needs to be heavily R&D unless the mirror locks up (but then you'll have no idea what you're shooting). I don't forsee Pentax competing with Canon in that (very expensive) sigment of the market for some time.

07-16-2007, 01:22 AM   #5
Forum Member

Next generation DSLR

I started with a P30N and a couple of second hand Hoya and Sigma lenses.

I then got hold of a Bronica ETRSi and a couple of second hand lenses but kept on to my P30N.

Then moved on to a new MZ7 and some new Pentax lenses.

Then on to *istDL body only and used MZ7 lenses. Then purchased Sigma 28/300mm DG lens and a Sigma 400mm lens. very happy with the kit and what it can do. Last week I took the plunge and purchased a K10D with 18/55 Lens.

What I am trying to say is, If you are happy with the results you are getting from your kit why worry about what is around the corner There will always be the people who have to have the very best and latest equipment.

Any fool can take a picture on auto pic setting but a real photographer understands the limits of his / her kit and applies their knowledge and style to what they are comfotable using.

Do you really need 12Mg? how big do you want to print? 6Mg is plenty for most people. Its not what youve got its how you use it to get the best from it.

My daughter (7) has a fuji finepix compact 3.2Mg camera and she gets better results with that than my nieghbour who has a Nikon d2x with copious amounts of lenses. He has to have the very best and has no idea how to use any of it.
he bought a sky HD box but does not have an HD ready TV. you know the type, will always tell you how much things cost him.

What ever you buy today will always be out of date tomorrow, In the past we looked at film cameras and asked if they worked with the lenses and flash we already had so if you had Pentax you generally stayed with Pentax because every thing worked with each other. Now with the digital cameras people are finding it hard to compare cameras because they do so many things instead of just taking photographs, they also allow instant playback, color correction, different modes ect. Also we are now finding that our old kit is not compatble with the new so its twice as expensive to get equipment. Flash guns for example, 35mm film camera any flash with a pentax mount will fit *ist D, DL ,DS K series only a digital flash will fit as the voltage is now different and using an old flash will kill your expensive new camera. Oh and the new digital flashes are twice the price of the old ones At least the lenses seem to fit. We seem to be on the MegaPixels trail the more the better. This is true but only up to a point. Does anyone here actually print out bigger than 12 x 8? I doubt it. more like 5 x 7. Printing to these sizes you will not notice if the picture was taken at 6 , 10 or 12 MP. Only serious pro photographers require high MP. Even Nikon only have 12MP in the D2X. Invest in good lenses, and keep your kit clean.

Enough ranting for one day

Dave

Last edited by davekimber; 07-16-2007 at 01:25 AM. Reason: typo
07-16-2007, 01:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a dozen prehistoric flashes and none of them fried my DS and they still work as once did.
07-16-2007, 03:09 AM   #7
Forum Member

prehistoric flashes

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
I have a dozen prehistoric flashes and none of them fried my DS and they still work as once did.
You are very lucky. I took my old Pentax flashes to the Pentax UK service centre and was advised by Pentax not to use none digital flashes on a digital body. They advised that the old type of flash voltage was too strong and over time will damage your digital body electrics.

It could be an expensive mistake to make if it does fry the body.
07-16-2007, 03:24 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Either lucky, or the DS' flash circuitry can take higher voltages than the later bodies. The K100d is not so tolerant of older flashes, I can say from experience and if the flash voltage is too high, the damage won't be over time, you will know straight away

07-16-2007, 06:09 AM   #9
Forum Member

Use a safe-sync and then don't worry about your flashed frying the camera. Your right about the MP thing though. I would rather stick with 6MP and get better color, dynamic range, higher ISO, better clarity and sharpness, etc than just get more pixels. Frankly, I don't want super big RAW files to begin with - that just adds to the storage nightmare. :-)

I'm very intruiged with the foveon sensor, and while I know they make it seem way more simple than the technology really is, the resolution, colors, etc from the test files I've seen are spectaculer with a much lower MP count. I wish that company could compete better with the bigger players just to see what is down that rabbit hole.
07-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

hi, I think the 12.8mp sensor is a given. But I think 10fps is unlikely (I wonder if it will turn out to be 3-4fps for up to 10 images or something like 10fps but 6mp images etc). Rumor mill is now pretty definite (LOL that this will be the sensor in the new 'above k10' camera. Which personally the most interesting thing with it is what will pentax name it? talk is k5d or k20d both of which have used by canon (without the K) I can see either name sending stupid reviewers into we have to compare to canons equivalent name

Because of competition I think manufacturers are having to move towards having cameras at 4 or 5 different price points. I think cameras will end up (couple of years) like the computer industy with a big slump in sales because people accept that their current system still does the job fine.

Phil

Last edited by philmorley; 07-16-2007 at 02:18 PM.
07-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

if you go to

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

it gives listing for various flashes voltages. but i can't remember what is safe for the camera (from memory DS/DL was 6 or 12 volts and the k10d is 30volts - but I dont really know)

Phil
07-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #12
Banned

I think Pentax's new camera will be before christmas because peantax has already stated their biggest competitor is Sony.
07-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I bet it'll be released between the 10th-15th of December in the USA. Us Aussies won't see it here until early January. Because of the late entry of the 2 new star lenses I think there'll be a big rush of new Pentax lenses in October. Yes, Sony is Pentax's biggest competitor (in some ways very similar) but Pentax always seems to trump Sony's new cameras a short time after Sony makes its release.

As far as bigger and better is concerned it will always be the case but I'd like to see more effort put into making DSLRs perform better in long exposures. Therefore more tech time needs to be spent on battery longivity. Noise will always improve and if sensors get better at coping with high ISO noise it'll transfer into better long exposure noise control as well.

Tim H
07-20-2007, 01:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I think 10MP or 12MP is not the issue for most of the users, nor 10fps or 5 fps or even 3fps matters for us.

I think sharper jpegs, improved dynamic range, better exposure accuracy, better AF accuarcy and faster AF and better servo tracking ability would be far more important than a fancy sensor spec. As for the latter two, a new metering system and a new AF system need to be re-designed and developed.

Also, at 10 fps rate, I think quite some of the slower DSLRs cannot do that as the camera time lag of these (usually entry level ones) is more than 1/10th second! The K10D's shortest possible time lag was measured to be 0.107s by the Imaging Resource according to their lab test report.
07-20-2007, 02:24 AM   #15

Pentax still using sony sensors? I thought they were switching to Kodak?