Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 09:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K7 File name Problem

I have encoutered a problem about the file name.

The file names overlap. For example, I have taken 100 photos with file names from 0001 to 0100. After I transferred these 100 photos to my pc, the camera uses 0001 all over again. But it should start 0101.

03-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
xjx
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
There is an option to memorize the file numbers so it will continue until reaching 9999.
03-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #3

Not sure about the K7 but my Kx in the menu under Memory there is a entry for Remember File Name,mines on the second page I believe, make sure the box is checked.
04-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gramps50 Quote
Not sure about the K7 but my Kx in the menu under Memory there is a entry for Remember File Name,mines on the second page I believe, make sure the box is checked.
The K-7 has the same menu option for the filename. That is the place to go:
Menu / Tools (spanner icon) / 2 / Filename (at bottom)

Cheers....

04-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all!
04-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Of course, that's just putting off the inevitable - sooner or later, you're going toroll over that counter. You should get in the habit sooner rather than later of finding a way to rename your files on import that gives them guaranteed unique names. One way to do this is to incorporate the date into the name, and many photo management programs can rename on import in this manner automatically.
04-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Further to the above, if renaming on import isn't your bag (might not be if you're not using management software, and are simply drag & dropping from the card to your computer), you can simply change the file-naming prefixes in your K7 every time the counter wraps past 9999.

It's a fringe case, though—Marc's suggestion of renaming on import is more elegant, since you only have to set it up once, and can actually add usability to your filenames in the process.

That said, I've set up file naming schemas in a bunch of design studios that I've worked in, and adding dates to filenames isn't my preference, since all files have a datestamp already, which is usually searchable in the operating system. I'd personally choose a different piece of unique information to append to each filename, but this isn't always possible, and date might be the only continuously unique variable you have at your disposal.