Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Sealed box for K7?

I received my new K7 yesterday, my excitement was quickly moderated by a slight concern. When I opened the outer shipping container I found the camera box did not have a seal across the tab keeping it closed. Inside the box I found that the bubble wrap/plastic wrap was also not sealed and I could not find the product regestration card in the box.

It has been my experience in the past that electronic equiptment comes sealed and in many cases the seal has special marks embedded in it to assure the purchaser that the product is "factory sealed"

Since this is my first Pentax product I am uncertain if I am simply over concerned or have I been shipped a previously opened product.

Can anybody who has recently purchased a K7 please let me know if your experience in opening the box is similar to mine.
Thanks very much.

04-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Was there evidence of a broken seal on the box?
Did you buy from a reputable seller?
Should the product come with a registration card in your region?
Are you a Pentax user of a Canon user, and why do you have that in your profile on a Pentax forum?
04-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jon in SC Quote
I received my new K7 yesterday, my excitement was quickly moderated by a slight concern. When I opened the outer shipping container I found the camera box did not have a seal across the tab keeping it closed. Inside the box I found that the bubble wrap/plastic wrap was also not sealed and I could not find the product regestration card in the box.

It has been my experience in the past that electronic equiptment comes sealed and in many cases the seal has special marks embedded in it to assure the purchaser that the product is "factory sealed"

Since this is my first Pentax product I am uncertain if I am simply over concerned or have I been shipped a previously opened product.

Can anybody who has recently purchased a K7 please let me know if your experience in opening the box is similar to mine.
Thanks very much.
You could call up the shop you got the K7 from to check about the missing warranty card. Mine came not sealed and the bubble wrap is also not sealed.

But I could register the product online.
04-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My kx wasn't sealed either--I wouldn't worry. And no registration card--you do that online.

Install the Pentax software and open an image that you took with the camera. It will tell you how many activations/shutter clicks took place on that camera.

And don't be alarmed if it's a few hundred--that's normal.

04-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Congratulations on your decision to buy a K-7.
Mine was received from Amazon and was sealed and taped up proper.
04-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Was there evidence of a broken seal on the box?

No evidence of a broken seal

Did you buy from a reputable seller?

Willoughby’s through Amazon

Should the product come with a registration card in your region?

I have no idea about that one. I am currently researching that.

Are you a Pentax user of a Canon user, and why do you have that in your
profile on a Pentax forum?
My previous DSLR is an Olympus E-500. Now I am going to be using a Pentax with the Olympus as a backup. I have never used a Canon (don't think I put that in my profile).
04-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My previous DSLR is an Olympus E-500. Now I am going to be using a Pentax with the Olympus as a backup. I have never used a Canon (don't think I put that in my profile).
Just curious. Your posts show up with the name

Jon in SC
Canon User
04-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Jon in SC
Canon User
April Fool's joke?

04-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #9

Jon

Mine, from B&H, also was not sealed. My profile also says Canon user also. Must be an April fools joke for us newbies...

-Frank
04-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
April Fool's joke?
Are you a Pentax user of a Canon user, and why do you have that in your profile on a Pentax forum?
My profile shows I became a Nikon User.

Both my K20D, K7 Black & K7 Silver all came w/o seal on the box. This gave me an uneasy feeling of not getting a product fresh out of the box.
Is Pentax cutting costs just to save on a small seal?
See other thread about K7 "Golden Ratio Focus Screen".
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/94464-k-7-limited-silver-3.html
04-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

sealed box

I bought my k-7 about a month ago from B&H. The box was tight, but not sealed with one of those stickers. It did have a serieal number/registration card. Have fun.

Grrr... I guess I'm a Canon user now too. :-p

04-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nick Danger, Private Third Eye, solves The Mystery of the Unsealed Box:

Sometimes sealed boxes aren't good. Some years ago, I ordered two Sony P&S cameras from Fry's Electronics. Two cartons arrived, each containing a factory-sealed box. One box contained a camera, charger, wires, CD, paper, etc. One box contained... a couple wires, and not the right ones, and nothing else. No wonder it was lightweight. Did someone at the Sony packing facility help themselves to the merchandise? Anyway, I called Fry's and they sent another and yes, there was actually a camera this time. Whew.

Solution: A dealer who DOESN'T open the box to check that it contains what it's supposed to is going to have pissed-off customers and increased shipping costs.

[Nick Danger theme music plays, fades away...]
04-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Jon in SC
Canon User
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
April Fool's joke?
QuoteOriginally posted by kyricom Quote
I bought my k-7 about a month ago from B&H. The box was tight, but not sealed with one of those stickers. It did have a serieal number/registration card. Have fun.

Grrr... I guess I'm a Canon user now too. :-p

Never used a Nikon in my life.... Have a nikon lens though so I guess it Could be accurate.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-forum-help/95935-hey-wha...user-tags.html

04-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoholic Quote
Jon

Mine, from B&H, also was not sealed. My profile also says Canon user also. Must be an April fools joke for us newbies...

-Frank
Not just newbies. Some of us who've been around for a while fell for it too.
04-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #15
Banned

I got my K-7 just few days ago. I do not remember the box being sealed. nor was the box of my K-m.

alright, im nikon. ill be damed if I am a canon user. hooray for half-truths.

EDIT:

also, I think I have seen video footage of K-7 'unboxing' and don't recall a seal. I don't know about the people who claimed to have had one, but it seems to be common that the box has no seal.

Last edited by séamuis; 04-01-2010 at 10:03 AM.