Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I guess, but if I wanted to underexpose, I would the green button and then turn the aperture.

Not saying I'm doing it the best way, but it accomplishes the same thing.
Why?

Isn't that whole point of M(anual) exposure?

Set one's own Shutter speed and Aperture -
the K-x actually shows the exposure in the viewfinder.

The point is the Green Button sets the meter recommendation exposure - in any of those settings except for OFF - no action.

04-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Why?

Isn't that whole point of M(anual) exposure?

Set one's own Shutter speed and Aperture -
the K-x actually shows the exposure in the viewfinder.

The point is the Green Button sets the meter recommendation exposure - in any of those settings except for OFF - no action.
Actually, no-- you're getting hung up on semantics. By using the green button like this in M mode, I have all of the same manual controls as full M, with the added advantage of it functioning as Av mode, but locking the exposure in, so it can be manually adjusted as I see fit. I see the selected shutter speed, say yay or nay and adjust the aperture, and I'm good to go.

Why the heck do I need to manually set BOTH parameters when my way gets me to the same place just by pushing a button?
04-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Actually, no-- you're getting hung up on semantics. By using the green button like this in M mode, I have all of the same manual controls as full M, with the added advantage of it functioning as Av mode, but locking the exposure in, so it can be manually adjusted as I see fit. I see the selected shutter speed, say yay or nay and adjust the aperture, and I'm good to go.

Why the heck do I need to manually set BOTH parameters when my way gets me to the same place just by pushing a button?
Got you - so you are using the Green Button to obtain the recommended exposure, then adjusting the exposure if necessary manually after that point - in fact that is what I would do.......

However the earlier suggestion of using the Green Button to ensure one's Manual setting were locked in and unchanged (which was the opening post's intent) -
was where I was coming from - it obviously would not work if the manual settings deviated from the meter exposure......
04-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
it worked.... i turned the bracketing off and now the numbers dont change. i would have never figured that out... Thanks for the help fellas

04-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Got you - so you are using the Green Button to obtain the recommended exposure, then adjusting the exposure if necessary manually after that point - in fact that is what I would do.......

However the earlier suggestion of using the Green Button to ensure one's Manual setting were locked in and unchanged (which was the opening post's intent) -
was where I was coming from - it obviously would not work if the manual settings deviated from the meter exposure......
Yeah--it's like I'm telling the camera exactly what to do, but instead of trying to read the +/- values in the viewfinder to get the camera's base recommended exposure (which is difficult on the KX in bright light), I use the green button to get the shutter recommendation and have it automatically set that shutter speed.

If I don't like the speed I see, I adjust the aperture on the lens, which is what you have to do ANYWAY on the old glass.

9 times out of 10, you know what shutter speed you think you want to be near. So when you hit the green button and the speed looks okay, you're good to go.

Mind you, as I've said a thousand times, I'm no fantastic photographer. Don't have the talent that half the guys here have.

But this method does the same thing for me as far as getting base exposure, and adjusting it as I want.

The added bonus is that I frame and focus my shot...reframe to get my reading on an area near 18% grey...hit the green button...go back to original framing and shoot.