Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,812
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I guess, but if I wanted to underexpose, I would the green button and then turn the aperture.

Not saying I'm doing it the best way, but it accomplishes the same thing.
Why?

Isn't that whole point of M(anual) exposure?

Set one's own Shutter speed and Aperture -
the K-x actually shows the exposure in the viewfinder.

The point is the Green Button sets the meter recommendation exposure - in any of those settings except for OFF - no action.

04-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,218
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Why?

Isn't that whole point of M(anual) exposure?

Set one's own Shutter speed and Aperture -
the K-x actually shows the exposure in the viewfinder.

The point is the Green Button sets the meter recommendation exposure - in any of those settings except for OFF - no action.
Actually, no-- you're getting hung up on semantics. By using the green button like this in M mode, I have all of the same manual controls as full M, with the added advantage of it functioning as Av mode, but locking the exposure in, so it can be manually adjusted as I see fit. I see the selected shutter speed, say yay or nay and adjust the aperture, and I'm good to go.

Why the heck do I need to manually set BOTH parameters when my way gets me to the same place just by pushing a button?
04-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,812
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Actually, no-- you're getting hung up on semantics. By using the green button like this in M mode, I have all of the same manual controls as full M, with the added advantage of it functioning as Av mode, but locking the exposure in, so it can be manually adjusted as I see fit. I see the selected shutter speed, say yay or nay and adjust the aperture, and I'm good to go.

Why the heck do I need to manually set BOTH parameters when my way gets me to the same place just by pushing a button?
Got you - so you are using the Green Button to obtain the recommended exposure, then adjusting the exposure if necessary manually after that point - in fact that is what I would do.......

However the earlier suggestion of using the Green Button to ensure one's Manual setting were locked in and unchanged (which was the opening post's intent) -
was where I was coming from - it obviously would not work if the manual settings deviated from the meter exposure......
04-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #19
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5
Original Poster
it worked.... i turned the bracketing off and now the numbers dont change. i would have never figured that out... Thanks for the help fellas

04-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,218
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Got you - so you are using the Green Button to obtain the recommended exposure, then adjusting the exposure if necessary manually after that point - in fact that is what I would do.......

However the earlier suggestion of using the Green Button to ensure one's Manual setting were locked in and unchanged (which was the opening post's intent) -
was where I was coming from - it obviously would not work if the manual settings deviated from the meter exposure......
Yeah--it's like I'm telling the camera exactly what to do, but instead of trying to read the +/- values in the viewfinder to get the camera's base recommended exposure (which is difficult on the KX in bright light), I use the green button to get the shutter recommendation and have it automatically set that shutter speed.

If I don't like the speed I see, I adjust the aperture on the lens, which is what you have to do ANYWAY on the old glass.

9 times out of 10, you know what shutter speed you think you want to be near. So when you hit the green button and the speed looks okay, you're good to go.

Mind you, as I've said a thousand times, I'm no fantastic photographer. Don't have the talent that half the guys here have.

But this method does the same thing for me as far as getting base exposure, and adjusting it as I want.

The added bonus is that I frame and focus my shot...reframe to get my reading on an area near 18% grey...hit the green button...go back to original framing and shoot.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, change, dslr, exposure, k-x, lens, photography, pic
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rookie question about exposure settings t0mpa Pentax Film SLR Discussion 8 10-23-2010 10:02 AM
P-TTL flash - Camera in Manual mode - ISO shouldn't change exposure right? Josť Ramos Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 5 05-29-2010 10:00 PM
How often do you change the settings for pictures? justtakingpics Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 33 05-07-2010 02:28 PM
K100D Super loses exposure settings between power on/off pentaman Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 10-31-2009 10:11 PM
Can I change out the Exposure Compensation Dial? Catelin Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 02-09-2009 01:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top