Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-X maunual settings change after every exposure WTF!!!!

When working in manual setting on the body and lens. Should my shutter speed and aperture value change after each exopsure? For example if I'm taking a pic of a can and set my numbers it takes that pic. But the numbers switch on there own right after. So I have to set them again for the next exposure. Just to take a pic of the same can. What am I doing wrong.??? I'm using a pentax k-x dslr with the 18-55mm kit lens. Thanks in advance

04-01-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, what kind of metering are you using:

Spot, Center Weighted, or Multi-Segment?

If you're using spot, for example, and it's on the red part of a can, if you move it to a white spot, the reading will be different. Same even for center-weighted, but Spot can REALLY screw you up.

I use center weighted, and what I do is focus the image, usually with the lens wide open, then set my aperture, make sure that the center of the image is close to neutral gray (not too light and not too dark), hit the green button with my old manual lenses (which locks in the shutter speed), and take the picture. With the kit lens that I'm assuming you're using, you would adjust aperture or shutter speed.

I'll often reframe the image--aim at a neutral grey part of the image to get the reading --and then reframe to take the shot.

In other words, I think you're pointing at different areas of the image which is giving you different readings, and this is normal. If you're shooting manual, get your reading from a neutral in the image, then reframe to whatever.

And you are using the kit lens, right? Not an old manual? If it's an old manual lens, more to come here.

Last edited by Ira; 04-01-2010 at 07:41 AM.
04-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Ira. I do have it in spot I'll try center. But correct me if I'm wrong (I am a newbie to slr's) but when in manual what I set the shutter speed and aperture to shouldn't it stay at those settings no matter what???
04-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you sure you're not accidentally hitting a button (e.g. the green button) when you take a shot? The settings should stay the same in manual unless you change them.

04-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Shizz Quote
Thanks Ira. I do have it in spot I'll try center. But correct me if I'm wrong (I am a newbie to slr's) but when in manual what I set the shutter speed and aperture to shouldn't it stay at those settings no matter what???
Yes. What makes you think it's changing? Like said above, if you don't hit the green button, nothing will change. You don't HOLD the green button down--you just hit it once and it locks in the shutter speed. If you hold it down, it will keep changing.

What lens are you using?
04-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok. So find my correct settings then tap the green to lock. I'm using the 18-55mm kit lens
04-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Ok. So find my correct settings then tap the green to lock. I'm using the 18-55mm kit lens
If you have green button set as "Action in M mode--Tv shift," you can use the green button like this.

Otherwise, you can just use the dials to change your values, while watching the +/- field in the viewfinder, but the green button is easier.
04-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You shouldn't have to hit the "Green" button at all. In M mode the aperture and shutter speed will remain the same through every shot. If you accidentally hit the green button the settings will change (depending on what you have the green button set to), so make sure you are in M mode, set your settings, take a pic making sure you hit nothing but the shutter release and see if your settings change.

04-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The only time it will change if you had bracketing set to ON, otherwise, it will stay the same.
04-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
You shouldn't have to hit the "Green" button at all. In M mode the aperture and shutter speed will remain the same through every shot. If you accidentally hit the green button the settings will change (depending on what you have the green button set to), so make sure you are in M mode, set your settings, take a pic making sure you hit nothing but the shutter release and see if your settings change.
This is right. Once the aperture and shutter speeds are set in M(anual) mode they should stay the same (I just confirmed this on my K-x).

Hitting the green button may actually have adverse effects - especially if you are using Manual mode to set an exposure that is deliberately over or under-exposed (ie: not what is metered) as the default Green button setting is to set the camera to the Program Line exposure - what the meter setting would be.

(as a last possible resort read the manual? )
04-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Only other thing I can think is that you are mistaking manual *focus* mode (switch on front of camera) for manual *exposure* mode (M on mode dial on top. Sorry if that seems insulting; Im just racking my brain trying to imagine what might cause what you're saying if it doens't turn out to be what others are saying (accidentally hitting green button, misinterpreting meter reading as change of expousre, bracketing). Or it could be a defective camera - bad contacts on the dials, perhaps.
04-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
This is right. Once the aperture and shutter speeds are set in M(anual) mode they should stay the same (I just confirmed this on my K-x).

Hitting the green button may actually have adverse effects - especially if you are using Manual mode to set an exposure that is deliberately over or under-exposed (ie: not what is metered) as the default Green button setting is to set the camera to the Program Line exposure - what the meter setting would be.

(as a last possible resort read the manual? )
Setting the green button for Tv shift in M mode puts the camera in ISO priority after the button is pressed, which since is already manually set (ISO), and since you're in M mode with the aperture set, simply sets your correct shutter speed.

This is how I understand it, and it works better than trying to use the VF to meter.
04-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Setting the green button for Tv shift in M mode puts the camera in ISO priority after the button is pressed, which since is already manually set (ISO), and since you're in M mode with the aperture set, simply sets your correct shutter speed.

This is how I understand it, and it works better than trying to use the VF to meter.
Sure that is only if you actually want the exposure to be what the camera meters.

What I said is if one is deliberately using M(anual) mode to set an exposure that is over or under-exposed (according to the meter)-

Then what would happen when the Green Button is pressed - even if it were set to Tv Shift?
04-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone trying to help me out.. I think aleonx3 might be on to something cause i do have the auto bracketing on... I was messing with HDR in photomatrix and never turned it off... Ill make that change and hopefully it will work. Ill get you guys the results... Thanks
04-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Sure that is only if you actually want the exposure to be what the camera meters.

What I said is if one is deliberately using M(anual) mode to set an exposure that is over or under-exposed (according to the meter)-

Then what would happen when the Green Button is pressed - even if it were set to Tv Shift?
I guess, but if I wanted to underexpose, I would the green button and then turn the aperture.

Not saying I'm doing it the best way, but it accomplishes the same thing.