Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
WOW thanks everyone for all the responses!

Right now I have it down to 3 cameras.

K100D
K10D
K-x

I like the K100D for the price and reliability of the camera. It has been around a while and proven to be a good reliable camera. I do not like the lack of Live View or weather proofing.

The same for the K10D except this one does have weatherproofing.
I think it might be a little more along the line of a "pro" model.

The K-x seems perfect for me. But I do not like the in avaliability of a grip. I have large hands I think I would prefer a grip

In General I want a camera I can afford.
I do not want to have to upgrade in 6 months.
Of course I want image quality.

If in can get in for under $500 with a lens or maybe 2 or 3 I will be happy.
The K100d seems to be the best option for this.

With all the great responses I am really leaning towards the K100D
I just hope I do not end up regretting the lack of live view and SDM lens capability

04-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why do you think you'll need live view? People used cameras without it for over a century and managed to take lots of really great pictures. No SLR offered live view just a couple of years ago ago. SLR's were invented to provide a good *viewfinder*, and that is far superior to live view for the vast majorty of purposes. P&S cameras have liveview because they have such terrible or nonexistent viewfinders, but it's really a poor substitute. You're better off with good viewfinder than live view.
04-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #18
Forum Member

I still use my K100D, and this spring went over the 9999 pictures, starts over with 1 again, works great with 4 GB SDHC cards, at least a class 4 SD card. I like the camera, and hae a 70MM -300 MM lens with a macro function. works well with the 2rd biggest flash unit Pentax makes, with it, takes great pictures in complete darkness, used to test how good, with family dog hamming up, funny for a little dog. when a better system comes along, may upgraade, but for now, the K-x is just not for me just yet.
04-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If I may add to to this discussion. One would not necessarily have to get a refurbished unit. I would consider the question, why was it refurbished?

Having seen K100D's on eBay with very low shutter clicks. Some with the dual lens kits. Going in the $250.00~350.00 US price range. My first k100-D was purchased on eBay for $220.00 with a DA 18-55mm and that camera body only had 1,200 shutter releases.

These deals are rare to be found but if one looks carefully they are available.

Best hint on the search is to look for items ending mid week and ending in the wee hours of the morning.

The K100 is an excellent entry level Pentax DSLR with great IQ.

Hope this helps.

04-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I got an incredibly cheap K100D Super (just has dust reduction and SDM support) because it had a bottom cracked plate (Pentax offers a replacement part for like $10) and I absolutely loved that camera. I'm actually hoping to get another one if I can afford it. It's got shake reduction, it's not that big (although a bit heavy due to the AA batteries, which can also be incredibly useful in case you can't afford more than one rechargable) and overall it's just a very easy camera to handle. If you have larger hands you'll probably prefer it too, the k-x has a tiny grip and the K10D has an enormous grip.
04-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Also,

The K10-d's have been going at a very good price as of late. The learning curve is a tad bit higher but well worth the effort.

Keep an eye on them.
04-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Indecent Exposure Quote
Also,

The K10-d's have been going at a very good price as of late.

Keep an eye on them.
When I was looking for Pentax DSLRs last (a few months ago) I actually noticed that the K100D was actually more expensive than the K10D on the used market. I thought that was a bit humorous considering the differences between them. Eventually I guess prices just bottom out to where people will refuse to sell them for any less though.
04-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery
it is a very good camera, and it is quite cheap now. and it is got weather seals. very good

04-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by EvilPentaxUser Quote
I still use my K100D, and this spring went over the 9999 pictures, starts over with 1 again, works great with 4 GB SDHC cards, at least a class 4 SD card. I like the camera, and hae a 70MM -300 MM lens with a macro function. works well with the 2rd biggest flash unit Pentax makes, with it, takes great pictures in complete darkness, used to test how good, with family dog hamming up, funny for a little dog. when a better system comes along, may upgraade, but for now, the K-x is just not for me just yet.
Bear in mind the latest firmware update is necessary to utilize the 4GB cards.

If your firmware has not been updated and one is doing so make sure that a "fresh" set of batteries are in the camera. Wrecked one by not doing so and it had to be returned to Pentax service for the firmware upgrade. Very expensive if it is not done right. This holds true to all firmware updates on Pentax DSLR's.
04-08-2010, 04:46 AM   #25

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stanjo Quote
The low light coming from the aquarium will demand high iso and open aperture. Say you shoot with your 50mm set to f2.8. The DOF will be so shallow that you won't get anything in focus.

On the other hand, a high-end P&S ("bridge" camera) will have a f2.8 lens and will do iso 800 or 1600 relatively well, but the DOF will be almost infinite (due to the small sensor and wide lens) and everything will be in focus.
Agreed. It is possible to do photos with K100D as long as you are not looking for high sharpness and resolution. Cheap fast primes are the tool of choice, plus a tripod. You have to take lots and lots of shots before you get a good one. Using an additional light source is a great idea as well. Here is a typical shot you would get without too much effort, without a tripod or extra light - not very sharp, but usable for some things.
Attached Images

04-08-2010, 05:57 AM   #26
Veteran Member

My brother owns a K100d and he's very happy with it. I just bought a K100d Super with plans of converting to IR. Should be a fun project.
04-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Barkowski Quote
Agreed. It is possible to do photos with K100D as long as you are not looking for high sharpness and resolution. Cheap fast primes are the tool of choice, plus a tripod. You have to take lots and lots of shots before you get a good one. Using an additional light source is a great idea as well. Here is a typical shot you would get without too much effort, without a tripod or extra light - not very sharp, but usable for some things.
I think the K100D Super has excellent IQ. For a 6.1 mp camera in RAW with an extreme III SDHC 20mb read and write and I do fine. In many ways I feel that the camera has better IQ then the Gx-20 I had. Did you shoot that pic in RAW or jpeg?
What lens were you using?
Attached Images

04-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I also started with a K100D and I can tell you its a great starter camera as you venture into DSLR territory. Its easy to use and delivers amazing results to boot, I would highly recommend in picking one up if you decide to go for it.
04-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Before all the rave about the K-x having great high ISO performance, there was the K100D and the K100D super.
If you search for the K100D/s here in the forums, you would find many praises regarding its performance.
I have the K100D super now and am very satisfied with its performance.
I too started as just looking for a cheap capable DSLR and I'm glad I mad that decision as I found the K100D super!
04-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #30

k100D good camra

I bought mine years ago and still have it and use. I would be a little careful buying refurbed. What kind of guarrentee will you get with it if it turns out not to operate properly?