Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
So the K3 from focusingscreens.com, or elsewhere?
FSB

FSX

K3

04-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Mine has arrived today, it took me 5 minutes to put on the camera for the first time.
If 1 is easy and 10 is hard i'll give it a 3.
The Focusing screen is a Trevor brand one, it comes with all the tools needed, was perfectly clear without scratches or stain and was protected by film on both side (it's impossible not to see the film because it's way bigger than the screen itself).
It is thicker than than the original by about 1/1.5 mm.
I think is as bright or maybe a little more darker than the stock one.
When removing the original screen there was a shim, i had to remove it and had to put 2 thiny stripes of insulating tape on the focusing screen (pentamirror side).
Now work flawlessy, tested @ f1.4, but i'll order original Pentax shims since i want to install it as it should be.
I don't know if the more expensive one are better, all i can say is that for me this is way better than the original screen for both manual focus and DOF preview.

Ira maybe for you it's better a viewfinder magnifier first than a focusing screen, if you know someone who has it i'd give it a try.
04-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, I just received and installed the $31 dual diagonal screen for K20D from jinfinance. It is supposedly made the same thickness as the original so no shimming needed. I also use the Pentax magnifying viewfinder (1.3x I believe) and the combo seems wonderful so far. After 48 hours, it exceeds all my expectations working with my A50/1.4, M65-250 Soligor and a A*400/2.8 x2TC= 800mm. Suddenly I can be sure what is manually focused for the first time. Did a quick check with a couple AF lenses and it does not hurt but does visually get in the way a little. Here is a shot with my P&S looking into the viewfinder. Its zoomed so could not get the whole screen, just the center. The screen is NOT dark, just vignetted for this shot of the center. I really like it so far and my keeper rate with the A50/1.4 went from 20% to 80%. Dual diagonal split-prism + 1.3x viewfinder = Ahhhhh! for my 60 yr old eyes.

Here is a peek into the viewfinder at a flower box 75m away at 800mm. Of course not everything has nice solid lines but so far I have very few shots that it does not improve my focusing.
Attached Images

04-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Do you have pictures of the packaging and installing instruction?
Just want to understand if it's the same screen (judging by the picture it seems so to me) so other user may save some $ and get the tool for free.

p.s. talking about "blackout" now it's almost 22 PM here and inside my livingroom the microprism and split part work quite well till f8 (unless you're pointing to a pitch blach object)

04-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by matam Quote
Do you have pictures of the packaging and installing instruction?
Just want to understand if it's the same screen (judging by the picture it seems so to me) so other user may save some $ and get the tool for free.

p.s. talking about "blackout" now it's almost 22 PM here and inside my livingroom the microprism and split part work quite well till f8 (unless you're pointing to a pitch blach object)

The packaging was just plastic film to peel off the screen and it plus the finger cots were in a rigid plastic box. Very simple. Tools? I just used tweezers I had covered the tips with masking tape. Held it by the tab and dropped it in. I have removed the screen previously for cleaning so it was no mystery this time. Took all of 45 seconds. Jinfinance will include plastic tweezers for a small fee if you ask them.

I have never used the Katzeye which I was going for but decided to try a cheap one to see if I even liked it. Now I don't see a need for a more expensive one.

If somebody needs pictures of anything or description I would be happy to accomodate the request.
04-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #36
Forum Member

I'm trying to order between Jinfinance ($31) and LinkDelight ($21) for the K7. Obviously, I would like to avoid having to do anything with the shims. Can someone drop a note as to which one worked better for the K7?

Thanks!
04-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #37
Forum Member

Some killer info in this thread, subscribed for further information

04-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Is the k10/20d screen compatible with the K-x? Or will you need to manually cut it down?
04-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #39
Veteran Member

On another note, I have the FSB screen from focusingscreens.com and find it a joy to use. It is a bit darker (maybe 1/2-1/3 stop) than the chinese jinfinance screen, but doesn't 'blackout' nearly as faster at smaller apertures. However, if I were to choose a new focusing screen now, I would go with a double diagonal screen to help MF in both landscape and portrait modes.
04-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #40

i have not try this before ,but i can tell you that chinese products are not that bad.
04-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K7er Quote
I'm trying to order between Jinfinance ($31) and LinkDelight ($21) for the K7. Obviously, I would like to avoid having to do anything with the shims. Can someone drop a note as to which one worked better for the K7?

Thanks!
Today i recieved my focus screen from focusingscreen.com. And to my suprise it came with to shims.

I am extremely happy they did, i was already looking around where to get them.

After some trail and error, i ended up with the original shim on the table and both plastic shims in the camera.

Finally i am able to get sharp pictures with manual lenses. Regular pictures wasn't a problem, but close-up with my 50mm 1.4 SMC manual lens wide opened was totally horror.
With the new shims i finally am able to get rid of the 2mm backfocus.

So please don't start with not want to do anything with shims, they can really make the difference.

I am really happy with my cam again

Last edited by Sakura; 04-14-2010 at 01:33 PM.
04-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
I'd rather spend $10.00 than $40.00. That's why I make my own.
I'm cheap as well, and I have screens from a Canon Ae1p and a Pentax ME Super that are in perfect condition and I believe can be made to fit my K10.

Somewhere, I have seen the dimensions but for the life of me I can't find them now. Has anyone got the link to the topic anywhere?
04-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #43
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote

It comes with condoms?

And for me, those look around the right size.
04-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
It comes with condoms?

And for me, those look around the right size.
Ira,

Those are for your fingers so that the screens do not have any fingerprints on them.
04-15-2010, 05:55 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
Is the k10/20d screen compatible with the K-x? Or will you need to manually cut it down?
It's compatible and a tiny bit smaller from what I hear.