Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

k20d screen fits fine. been using one for months now and its operating perfectly.

04-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I'll go back and look, but what's the K3 about? And as a nearsighted 53-year-old fart, am I better off with the larger circle? My close-up version is perfect.
The K3 is from old Nikon SLRs and the split is horizontal. The circle is bigger so that our old eyes get clearer views.
04-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
The K3 is from old Nikon SLRs and the split is horizontal. The circle is bigger so that our old eyes get clearer views.
Thank you!!!
04-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you!!!
Your Welcome

04-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The difference in FSX and FSB is mainly the texture of the micro prism, NOT the size. If you really wanted a larger micro prism, the K-3 would be the correct choice.

FSX

FSB

Ira, now that I've used the the $20 double 45 degree split prism from Ebay/HK for an extended period of time, I would not recommend it. It back focuses by a tiny bit and I have to compensate by having the center slab measure ~.5 mm to the left in order to grab the correct focus.

My K-x's original focusing screen came with a rather thick shim, the $20 ebay version requires a thinner shim, which is a pain in the ass to make out of post-it notes and not advisable for a self-proclaimed spastic. The quality control of the $20 one is also pretty awful, mine came with slight stains that I could not clean off, they're dragging their feet with the refund. The 2 tweezers that came with it were also of poor quality, the plastic one snapped while the metal one has a propensity to scratch anything it touches.

My next choice is the $30 Jinfinance one that people claim to have the correct thickness. Although to be fair the $20 Ebay one has the same thickness as the original Pentax one, at least to the naked eye.

I don't think I can ever justify spending $100+ on Katzeye.

--------------------------

I've found the split prism to be more useful than the microprism. The microprism has only been useful for objects with extremely fine textures that can't be differentiated easily on the split prism (hair, fur, canvas, etc), even then it's hard to pull the correct focus. The 45 degree or the cross shape EC-L seem to be the best choice for someone with failing vision.

I'm interested in the S TYPE focusing screen, I wonder if the precision is vastly superior to the Pentax screen.

Last edited by hangu; 04-04-2010 at 12:15 PM.
04-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
The difference in FSX and FSB is mainly the texture of the micro prism, NOT the size. If you really wanted a larger micro prism, the K-3 would be the correct choice.

FSX

FSB

Ira, now that I've used the the $20 double 45 degree split prism from Ebay/HK for an extended period of time, I would not recommend it. It back focuses by a tiny bit and I have to compensate by having the center slab measure ~.5 mm to the left in order to grab the correct focus.

My K-x's original focusing screen came with a rather thick shim, the $20 ebay version requires a thinner shim, which is a pain in the ass to make out of post-it notes and not advisable for a self-proclaimed spastic. The quality control of the $20 one is also pretty awful, mine came with slight stains that I could not clean off, they're dragging their feet with the refund. The 2 tweezers that came with it were also of poor quality, the plastic one snapped while the metal one has a propensity to scratch anything it touches.

My next choice is the $30 Jinfinance one that people claim to have the correct thickness. Although to be fair the $20 Ebay one has the same thickness as the original Pentax one, at least to the naked eye.

I don't think I can ever justify spending $100+ on Katzeye.

--------------------------

I've found the split prism to be more useful than the microprism. The microprism has only been useful for objects with extremely fine textures that can't be differentiated easily on the split prism (hair, fur, canvas, etc), even then it's hard to pull the correct focus. The 45 degree or the cross shape EC-L seem to be the best choice for someone with failing vision.

I'm interested in the S TYPE focusing screen, I wonder if the precision is vastly superior to the Pentax screen.
So the K3 from focusingscreens.com, or elsewhere?
04-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just ordered the FSB screen for my K7.
I would love the Katz again (had one for my K100D) but the costs are way to high. Not only the screen itself, but also the P&P are some 25 dollars and added to that are some 30 dollar taxes

Focusscreen P&P are only 14 dollars.

Ordering anything from the USA is almost always to expensive for the P&P and taxes

/edit

btw, i live in The Netherlands

04-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Honestly, I think a magnifying eyepiece might do more for you than a split prism.

My vision is pretty terrible and I'm not even half your age. I haven't been completely happy with my split + micro prism to date.

Prisms are overrated because:
1) I've used focus confirmation far more than the prisms.
2) I like having a clear view finder, a giant circular mass in the middle is distracting.
3) I find myself taking far too many photos with the subject at dead center. You just don't have the time to do a focus-recompose shot when you're using manual lenses.
4) Prisms are utterly useless on such things as surfaces of water, fine fur, hair, fine textures, SKIN, or any big flat areas with tiny details or any object with lines parallel to the split prism angle.
5) You often resort to focusing on the edge of the subject since it has the strongest contrast with the background. Unfortunately, the edge is not on the same focal plane and you end up back-focusing.

I'm tempted to try the prism-less S-type with a magnifying eyepiece at this point since it should let me focus on any subject in the viewfinder, not just the one in the center.

Last edited by hangu; 04-04-2010 at 02:51 PM.
04-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Honestly, I think a magnifying eyepiece might do more for you than a split prism.

My vision is pretty terrible and I'm not even half your age. I haven't been completely happy with my split + micro prism to date.

I have used split focus screens with prism with my Pentax MX camera for years, and i really love it. It is really a very good help with manual focus.
So they are absolutely not over-rated. Maybe they aren't the best solution for you, but that is really a very personal matter.
04-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #25
Veteran Member

OK, they're not over rated.
04-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ira, go for the K3 from Focusing Screen. It is not those ebay tyoe and of much better quality.
04-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1) I've used focus confirmation far more than the prisms.
2) I like having a clear view finder, a giant circular mass in the middle is distracting.
3) I find myself taking far too many photos with the subject at dead center. You just don't have the time to do a focus-recompose shot when you're using manual lenses.
4) Prisms are utterly useless on such things as surfaces of water, fine fur, hair, fine textures, SKIN, or any big flat areas with tiny details or any object with lines parallel to the split prism angle.
5) You often resort to focusing on the edge of the subject since it has the strongest contrast with the background. Unfortunately, the edge is not on the same focal plane and you end up back-focusing.

I'm tempted to try the prism-less S-type with a magnifying eyepiece at this point since it should let me focus on any subject in the viewfinder, not just the one in the center.
Out of curiosity, but do you use manual lenses at all?
04-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

No, I'm just talking out of my butt. Manual lenses are over rated too.
04-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I've found a magnifying viewfinder to be more helpful than a split prism. The K-x's 95% viewfinder leaves something to be desired. It's not even close to the size of a Pentax MX's viewfinder.

I've heard great things about the KPS viewfinder and it's about the same price as a focusing screen.
04-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've found a magnifying viewfinder to be more helpful than a split prism. The K-x's 95% viewfinder leaves something to be desired. It's not even close to the size of a Pentax MX's viewfinder.

I've heard great things about the KPS viewfinder and it's about the same price as a focusing screen.
The split prisms are more for those who use manual lenses in low light situations. The magnifiers are good for all types of views.