Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2006, 07:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Question

Well I have been doing some reading in two other forums and there is alot of talk of Banding with the K10D at ranges as low as 800 ISO.

Has anyone of you lucky people who has the camera experienced this problem as of yet?

The reason I am asking is.. I have a plan to purchase a K10D body at the end of December.. and was wondering if it was too soon.. I love the quality in my K100D. But the lure of a 10 megapixel camera is strong.

11-26-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

there is some slight noise @ ISO 800, but it's no so much where it's really really bad. some post processing work will make it go away, and if you print it on a 4x6, it shouldnt even show up. It's as good as you would see on an ISO 800 film..not so sharp, slightly grainy....

actually lemme take that back..hardly noticeable at all. I shot a lot of ISO 800 shots over the holidays, and from a normal stand point you really cant see it. (unless you view ur photos at 10x the magnification)

honestly, it's quite ridiculous at the amount of complaints this thing is getting...

go out shoot...look at ur photos at normal magnification, not at the level of microscopes

here's one shot @ ISO 800 1/8 @ f/3.5

quality of the resize sucks, banding as you can see is pretty much non existant...
11-26-2006, 08:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
Great Example, Thanks.

I guess its just post-release talk.. but something to keep a eye out for
11-26-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Banding and what I'd like to call it...

It seems to be very popular to take a new piece of equipment and purposefully operate that equipment on the edge or beyond the edge of it's operational envelop. In the case of the K10 it is to purposefully underexpose or mis-set the white balance and then underexpose and then further to claim that the device is flawed because it shows significant problem with this technique of operation.

You may have read the purple blob thread elsewhere-look at the WB setting in the ACR screen captures-2050K???? What color light is that? Or the threads showing massive 'calibration' values required for RAW conversion. Under a measured 6000K condition I get corrections of plus/minus 3-9 for all hues and saturations using the Fors' Simplex optimizer at Chromaholics-not plus/minus 40-60.

Or the multitude of vertical banding claiming to be different from horizontal banding. Especially in dark areas. Did these 'users' notice the flashing aperture and shutterspeed values indicating underexposure? Did they read their manuals? I've got about 300 similar shots taken at Carlsbad Caverns, because I failed to heed those indicators.

This really is a soapbox I shouldn't be on because I detest purposefully obtuse behavior, so the short of it is: use your camera as it was meant to be used and you will be fine. If the results under normal operation are not reasonable and predictable you might have a problem--but that is a mighty slim chance.

I've got three K10s in my house. Short of a few surprises caused but incomplete reading or understanding of the manual, ALL function very well, and very predictably--they generate beautiful images, shot after shot after shot--near a thousand captures coming up on one week of ownership.

Most of these 'so-called' problems are strikingly similar to the stuff I scrap from my boots when I leave the cow pasture.

11-26-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

yep...A lot of those so-called "test shots" were badly exposed....

the user still needs to know how to take pictures in order for the camera to take pictures...
11-26-2006, 10:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
It seems to be very popular to take a new piece of equipment and purposefully operate that equipment on the edge or beyond the edge of it's operational envelop. In the case of the K10 it is to purposefully underexpose or mis-set the white balance and then underexpose and then further to claim that the device is flawed because it shows significant problem with this technique of operation.

You may have read the purple blob thread elsewhere-look at the WB setting in the ACR screen captures-2050K???? What color light is that? Or the threads showing massive 'calibration' values required for RAW conversion. Under a measured 6000K condition I get corrections of plus/minus 3-9 for all hues and saturations using the Fors' Simplex optimizer at Chromaholics-not plus/minus 40-60.

Or the multitude of vertical banding claiming to be different from horizontal banding. Especially in dark areas. Did these 'users' notice the flashing aperture and shutterspeed values indicating underexposure? Did they read their manuals? I've got about 300 similar shots taken at Carlsbad Caverns, because I failed to heed those indicators.

This really is a soapbox I shouldn't be on because I detest purposefully obtuse behavior, so the short of it is: use your camera as it was meant to be used and you will be fine. If the results under normal operation are not reasonable and predictable you might have a problem--but that is a mighty slim chance.

I've got three K10s in my house. Short of a few surprises caused but incomplete reading or understanding of the manual, ALL function very well, and very predictably--they generate beautiful images, shot after shot after shot--near a thousand captures coming up on one week of ownership.

Most of these 'so-called' problems are strikingly similar to the stuff I scrap from my boots when I leave the cow pasture.
as I said before, it could be a lot of DP'ers were looking for a "perfect" camera that will solve all the exposure problems they can throw at it.
when my K10 arrives I know it wouldn't be a kill all DSLR, but it will be a "tool" that will be more then capable then I am..... I think when those people who thought the k10 would be a perfect camera are coming back to earth..... and most of them must have forgotten that the same exposure on the old non digital cameras likely would have been a write off.

just my humble opinion

cheers and enjoy it!
11-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote

Excellent and correct.

11-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kitanis Quote
Great Example, Thanks.

I guess its just post-release talk.. but something to keep a eye out for
I'm getting my K10D tomorrow, (FedEx tracking's telling me that it's already in Phoenix and ready for delivery), so I'll be posting some comprehensive sample shots soon (with respect to ISO, SR, and RAW). Can't wait!

Expect these to be on mosphotos.com, but I'll also make a thread here.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: