Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #1

Pentax K-x Tilt shift filter?

I am almost ready to purchase a K-x after finding some videos showing that the cross processing effect can be used when recording movies.
I cant find any videos showing the 'minature' filter being used. Is it possible to use this filter when recording movies so that it has a tilt shift effect like the 'diorama' filter on the Epl-1.
Many thanks.

04-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacos Quote
I am almost ready to purchase a K-x after finding some videos showing that the cross processing effect can be used when recording movies.
I cant find any videos showing the 'minature' filter being used. Is it possible to use this filter when recording movies so that it has a tilt shift effect like the 'diorama' filter on the Epl-1.
Many thanks.
Been a while since I used the K-x, and I can't remember if it has that capability or not.

I definitely WOULDN'T use its presence on the E-PL1 as a buying point though - it's so limited that it's effectively a non-feature. The PL1's Diorama filter takes so much processing power that even for still images, the live view framerate plunges to somewhere around two frames per second. The same is true in movie mode, but Diorama movies still play at 30fps -- so they play back at about 15x normal speed. A further limitation is related to the accelerated playback - audio is completely disabled when recording Diorama movies, and cannot be re-enabled.

To be honest, you're far, FAR better advised to just add the tilt/shift effect in software afterwards, rather than using the PL1's Diorama filter when recording a movie.
04-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Actually, it was niggling at me that I couldn't remember being able to use filters during movie recording, so while I don't have a K-x to hand, I checked the manual (no mention of being able to use filters during movies), and I also checked my K-7 (which definitely does not allow use of filters during movies).

What did you see that suggests otherwise? I'm pretty sure you can't use any of the filters for movie mode on the K-x either...
04-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Actually, it was niggling at me that I couldn't remember being able to use filters during movie recording, so while I don't have a K-x to hand, I checked the manual (no mention of being able to use filters during movies), and I also checked my K-7 (which definitely does not allow use of filters during movies).

What did you see that suggests otherwise? I'm pretty sure you can't use any of the filters for movie mode on the K-x either...
This clip has the cross processing effect on it.

Its not the be all and end all if it has or hasnt got the facility to tilt shift when recording movies but i would just like to know from anyone who has tried with a K-x.
Thanks again.

04-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Inactive Account

While Cross Processing can be selected and used in movie mode you cannot use digital filters while recording, and the "miniature" filter is a post-process only when you convert raw to jpg (to be more precise, it's one of the filter you can't use directly when you're shooting).
04-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by matam Quote
While Cross Processing can be selected and used in movie mode you cannot use digital filters while recording, and the "miniature" filter is a post-process only when you convert raw to jpg (to be more precise, it's one of the filter you can't use directly when you're shooting).
Thanks for confirming this for me. I think i will still be purchasing a K-x later in the week.....
04-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Interesting. learn something every day. I think I must've missed that when I tried out the K-x (or forgotten since).

04-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
Inactive Account

actually i discovered it could be used after reading this thread
04-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

actually i discovered it could be used after reading this thread
We're all learning, then... This thread has served great purpose!