Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K7 pop up flash @#%!

As robust as the K7 is, I've had the pop up flash disengage under handling a sufficient number of times, that I have now taped it closed. Perhaps it needs a locking mechanism for those who have no need for the flash? Super Glue?

04-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Super Glue is semi permanent, so when you go to sell it it'll be a tough sell. I'd just use Black electrical tape, or clear scotch tape. The better quality stuff is usually easier to use, lasts longer, and comes off cleaner.
04-03-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Get an O-ring, available at the plumbing department of your local hardware store. Use super glue or rubber cement to glue the O-ring around the button to pop up the flash. Use glue sparingly, don't let it contact the button.

This does not destroy the camera's good look; and you can still use the built-in flash when needed.
04-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't you totally disengage it from firing, even if it accidentally pops up?

Not sure though.

04-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Forum Member

I've never had mine even remotely pop up if I havent clicked the button.
What do you guys do to your cameras?
04-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Man I love my K10D in these situations. No auto-popups or anything :P
04-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Super glue will bond to the camera finish and possibly leave a tough to remove white film on plastics. If you happen to touch it before it dries, you will leave your finger prints behind as well. Using any glue is likely to cause you problems you just don't want to deal with.

Either disable the flash option or just use a rubberband to hold the thing down.
04-05-2010, 02:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ordinaryimages Quote
As robust as the K7 is, I've had the pop up flash disengage under handling a sufficient number of times
Can't say I've ever had that problem with my K-7. Nor my K10D for that matter.
It might be the way you're handling/holding/carrying the camera, and I'd look into the exact manner in which the flash is popping up first, before doing anything to it.

04-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #9

This is an honest question and not meant to offend, but doesn't the flash popup automatially in certain shooting modes (i.e. auto or a scene mode). I suspect the OP isn't making this mistake but it never hurts before we start taping things!
04-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Never had my K7 pop up unless I wanted it to. I shoot almost 100% Manual.
04-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Can't you totally disengage it from firing, even if it accidentally pops up?

Not sure though.

No. I do believe however if P-TTL reports no flash needed, it will not fire but not 100% certain of that

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
This is an honest question and not meant to offend, but doesn't the flash popup automatially in certain shooting modes (i.e. auto or a scene mode). I suspect the OP isn't making this mistake but it never hurts before we start taping things!
K7 does not have scene modes. The flash release is a mechanical one and does not automatically pop up.

Last edited by JeffJS; 04-05-2010 at 03:51 PM.
04-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
Forum Member

Black gaffer tape—use a thin (1/4 inch) strip of this along the sides of the pop-up part of the flash to tape it to the body if you're never going to use the flash, and you'll avoid the pop-ups.

I'd avoid clear/electrical/duct or other household tapes, as the glues degrade over time, and turn into a gummy, gross mess that's really hard to remove, and the elbow-grease you end up applying down the road to get the tape off is just as likely to mar the finish as any of the suggested glue-based solutions.

Gaffer tape holds well, and generally comes off when you want it to. Looks good too... nice and matte-ish.
04-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
Forum Member

Just to add to the above—I occasionally deploy the flash, or hit the raw button by accident when I'm handling the camera, typically when I'm shooting quickly in portrait orientation... I don't have a battery grip, and sometimes shooting portrait gets a bit cramped, depending on which way I decide to rotate the camera.