Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
David Pogue Review

David Pogue reviewed the K10D last month as part of a larger article on under $1K Digital Slr cameras....while he said the camera's photos were slightly wased out, he did call the camera a "bargain for semi-pros." He did not include it in his great photos out of the box roundup up digital slrs, just because of the in-camera processing of JPEGS by pentax.

07-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi,

these 'out of the box" tests amaze? me.

Lets take a tool aimed at semi-professionals use the relatively poor kit lens that comes with it (regardless of brand the kit lens isn't exactly a semi-pro lens) and then we'll use it like a point and shoot with adjusting anything and see which is best??? somehow I think most people of a semi-pro calibre are going to be adjusting settings and changing lens ?

Regards
Phil
07-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
Phil,

There isnt a pro wedding photographer out there that doesn't touch up most of their stuff in photoshop...regardless of whether they are shooting Nikon, Canon or Pentax....

I like David Pogue, he's an honest and fair reviewer... Let's not make the K10D anything more OR LESS than what it is ------ a great camera, with SOME...oh...shall we say deficincies.....and by the way...as I have mentioned on this forum....I have two K10D bodies.....I love the camera.....but it's not perfect.....

And let's not lambaste David for his honest review....at least the camera is being mentioned....I was merely pointing to David's review not lamenting it...

Of course there are those of us who wish that he reviewed it in the company of the D200 and 30D, but hey.....we can't have everything..... The important thing is...do you get good shots from your camera that you're happ with.....and if you're a pro shooting with the K10D (and there are a few of us) are your customers happy with them? If they are, than everythings cool!

07-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
Hi,

these 'out of the box" tests amaze? me.

Lets take a tool aimed at semi-professionals use the relatively poor kit lens that comes with it (regardless of brand the kit lens isn't exactly a semi-pro lens) and then we'll use it like a point and shoot with adjusting anything and see which is best??? somehow I think most people of a semi-pro calibre are going to be adjusting settings and changing lens ?

Regards
Phil
These tests also really amaze me because some of the high-end point and shoots take better pictures out of the camera than a lot of SLRs on auto mode. I didn't understand these conclusions, or why so many people made such a big deal out of them until I realized that probably a lot of people who buy these cameras actually use them just like a point and shoot and never take the time to learn about photography. They just get sucked into the idea that SLRs take better pictures...

Okay, that's my cynical thought for the day. :-)

07-16-2007, 08:01 PM   #5
Forum Member

I agree with the "out of the box" review. I have a couple of high end Oly P&S cameras that take better jpgs than my DS. However, the DS in raw mode with a good lens (e.g FA 50mm 1.4) blows them away. The sad thing is that it took me almost a year of shooting jpg on my DS before I "discovered" the huge quality difference between raw and jpg with the pentax camera
07-17-2007, 09:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
These reviewers are taking off-the-shelf cameras and comparing them for use by the GENERAL PUBLIC...

The average purchaser....and I do mean average, (which is just about 90% of those people who purchase a DSLR).....is not going to go through the menutia and discussion that we experience here in this forum....

Rather, they are going to take their camera out and start shooting......AND they are most likely not going to take 3-4 cameras and compare them.

In the case of David Pogue, that's all he was doing....COMPARING a bunch of different cameras to see how they function right out off the box, FOR THE AVERAGE USER. Again, most users are going to take the files to costco and have them printed directly without manipulation in photoshop, so in this case, I think there is a certain amount of validity to the comparison.

07-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awjweb Quote
I agree with the "out of the box" review. I have a couple of high end Oly P&S cameras that take better jpgs than my DS. However, the DS in raw mode with a good lens (e.g FA 50mm 1.4) blows them away. The sad thing is that it took me almost a year of shooting jpg on my DS before I "discovered" the huge quality difference between raw and jpg with the pentax camera
This jpeg debate really annoys me . I have the DS and have shot jpeg alongside the supposed jpeg champ in C***n (I mean shoulder to shoulder, same time, same subject) and posted the shots on the other forum.

Blind freddy could see that the Pentax shots were better in every aspect, which I think had more to do with the settings being used by the individual photographers rather than anything the cameras were doing.

The point..?? is that any dslr will take good shots if used properly and in accordance with the manufacturers directions, conversely they will all take 'bad' shots if used incorrectly.

Now lets move on.
Cheers
Grant