Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Forum Member

K10 Menu

I am new to the K10 and am finding the setup menu shutting down before I get finished trying to set the camera up. It seems as though I get maybe 30 sec then when I hit the menu a second time it may stay on 10 to 15 sec. Is there a way to set the menu to stay on longer or am I missing something ?

07-16-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Which menu are you referring to? When you press "menu" in the back? or you are referring to the info you see when you look through the viewfinder?

As long as I am making changes, neither of these menus turn off for me. You can set how long the metering display show up in the viewfinder though.
07-17-2007, 03:42 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
Which menu are you referring to? When you press "menu" in the back? or you are referring to the info you see when you look through the viewfinder?

As long as I am making changes, neither of these menus turn off for me. You can set how long the metering display show up in the viewfinder though.
Sorry should have been clearer in my explanation. I am referring to the menu button on the back, for setup/playback/custom settings.
07-17-2007, 04:32 AM   #4

With Sigma 24-135?

This is a common issue with Sigma 24-135 in Pentax mount (at least on K100D), if I recall correctly it is fixable at Sigma service.

Best and happy shooting, JR

07-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by property#1 Quote
I am new to the K10 and am finding the setup menu shutting down before I get finished trying to set the camera up. It seems as though I get maybe 30 sec then when I hit the menu a second time it may stay on 10 to 15 sec. Is there a way to set the menu to stay on longer or am I missing something ?
QuoteOriginally posted by property#1 Quote
Sorry should have been clearer in my explanation. I am referring to the menu button on the back, for setup/playback/custom settings.

As far as I know, that menu should remain on until the "MENU" button is pressed once again to turn it off. At least that is how it behaves on my K10D. However, the camera itself will turn off after a preset amount of time has passed with no user activity. This may be what you're referring to. That feature can be adjusted using "Auto Power Off" in the "Settings" menu. The available options are 1, 3, 5, 10, 30 minutes, and off. The default is one minute (feels as quick as 30 sec), while I prefer three minutes.

stewart
07-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You might want to check your battery level. I’ve noticed this behavior just before the battery dies. Powering the LCD on the back is fairly taxing on the battery.
07-17-2007, 04:33 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Also be careful of touching the shutter release button, that automatically turns of the menu as it thinks you are about to take a shot.

I do this all the time especially with the battery grip attached.

The edge of my hand touches the shutter release button on the grip and turns off the menu/image playback.

07-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reps Quote
This is a common issue with Sigma 24-135 in Pentax mount (at least on K100D), if I recall correctly it is fixable at Sigma service.

Best and happy shooting, JR
You are right reps. After reading your post I put my 50mm sigma on and the menu stays on after the 24-135 reinstalled menus shuts down almost continually. Thank-you for your response.