Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ist. vs. K100 vs. K10

Hello all, new to the forum and looking for some feedback. I own the K10d but am looking for a second body for a backup/girlfriend to use. I don't have any experience any of the ist models or the K100/110 and was wondering what the real difference was between them and the K10 concerning image quality (enlargements), speed, noise, optional vertical grips any anything else you can think of.

I want to know if i should save a few bucks and down grade or go all out with another K10 because it is that much better. thanks for the input.

07-16-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
Inactive Account

For a backup I'd probably wait for a K100D Super due in August. The main issue with the K100D or any of the other Pentax cameras IMO (forget the sensor) is the lack of lithium ion batteries. The K10D uses the Lithium ones which I think are much better and easier to manage. Maybe it's just me but I hate having heaps of AAs hanging around. The K10D goes down to ISO100 which is useful and has a battery grip option. The very first Pentax DSLR had a battery grip but didn't have SR. If it's just a backup I'd wait for a K100D Super or just get another K10D on the cheap or secondhand off this forum.

Tim H

PS> Welcome to the forum!!
07-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
Hello all, new to the forum and looking for some feedback. I own the K10d but am looking for a second body for a backup/girlfriend to use. I don't have any experience any of the ist models or the K100/110 and was wondering what the real difference was between them and the K10 concerning image quality (enlargements), speed, noise, optional vertical grips any anything else you can think of.

I want to know if i should save a few bucks and down grade or go all out with another K10 because it is that much better. thanks for the input.
I think you have to define your useage better. Generally a backup should be a dead equal camera (another k10). That way you have fully interchangeable parts. ie grip, batteries, even eyecups, accessories ect. not to mention you will know the response characteristics. If all your looking for is lens interchangeability then any of the bodies will do. You then have to decide on priorities. Will you accept 6mp vs 10mp (k10 vs all other current models)? Are you waiting for the new lenses w/ built in motors? An area of possible incompatability or at the least, loss of full performance so again a K10 or the K100 successor). Do you like night shots or high isos? 6mp are arguably better and any BUT the k10 will do. Do you need 100ASA (K10)?
Do you like the antishake feature? (leaves you 2 choices K10, K100).
So if you don't want a clone backup (k10) and you shoot a lot of high iso or underexposed shots and need AS, the k100 is your choice. ect. ect...
Do you want to use a bunch of old TTL flashes (DS or D)?
Best to draw a table.........
Personally if i was you I'd just get another k10 if your happy w/ it. Or an older model (pick one) but view it as disposeable and destined to be replaced in the near future so it must be priced accordingly. A k100 is probably best..A used or new D is a fun choice and has some features worth noting ie wireless flash, TTL, and pTTL, sync socket. Stronger AA filter so little moire and clean high iso. No noteable banding ect...
If your girlfriends like my wife anything short of equal or better is unacceptable so stick w/ a k10, and if you buy it used make sure she uses yours and you use that one

Last edited by jeffkrol; 07-16-2007 at 09:50 PM.
07-17-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hello all, new to the forum and looking for some feedback. I own the K10d but am looking for a second body for a backup girlfriend to use.
I wish I had a backup girlfriend.. . :dream:

. ..khm, other than that, posters before me have laid out your options pretty well. I'd narrow it to K100D and K10D. If you need a body that would save the day if K10D breaks K100D would do (if you have time wait for Super), but if you need something that you can handle just like K10D than get another K10D.

07-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #5

ist D

The ist D is the closest in feel to the K10D (dual control dials, button rather than menu driven), and is noted for the best low light/high iso performance of the CCD cameras (almost equal to the Canon DSLR CMOS sensors). As a backup (or travel camera), the AA battery and extremely long life CRV3 batteries (over 1000 shots) provide a better solution than a rechargeable battery only camera. Also, with a shelf life of up to 10 years, the CRV3 batteries are ideal for backup use.

The K100 is nice too, and it does share the SD cards with the K10. Since I also shoot with Olympus, the CF cards used in the ist D is an advantage for me (although at the current price of flash cards, this is pretty much a non-issue).

If you like the way the K10 handles and the all the controls it offers, then the ist D is the way to go. If you feel that the anti shake is important, then the K100 would be better. Oh, if you like long exposure night shots, you should really check out the ist D. But, because of the mild in-camera processing (much like the K10), the default settings will yield a softer, less contrasty image than the K100 (but this also means that the image will stand up to post processing well).

Wayne
07-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
... The main issue with the K100D or any of the other Pentax cameras IMO (forget the sensor) is the lack of lithium ion batteries. The K10D uses the Lithium ones which I think are much better and easier to manage. Maybe it's just me but I hate having heaps of AAs hanging around. ...
Huh? Am I confused here? My wife uses Lithium Ion in her istD, I use NiMh in my K1x0Ds. I just plugged her backup set into my K110D and they came up fine. I've read the focus motor is a bit slower but they do work.
07-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The K100D is $419 after rebate. Get that for your girlfriend, and another lens for yourself.
07-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would also have to say *istD, for many of the reasons others have suggested.
- Battery life is good, even with AA batteries.
- Dual controls, and similarity to K10 in that respect.
- Excellent 3200 ISO performance (about 1/4 of all shots I took with the *istD)

Additionally, what it can do that the K10D can't. Specifically use TTL flash on ALL K mount lenses.

The only down side of the *istD as a second body is the compact flash memory.

It is not so much a back up, but a second body that can do different things.

Many people had the same approach with film cameras, Yes on interchangeable lenses, but that is where it stopped. My film back up is a KX, because except for the light meter, it didn't use batteries at all, and I had a photo cell reflected light meter for a back up to everyting else in the kit. The Idea was simple, when it really had to work, it did.