Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K100d vs. k10d for a film slr user.

Hey everyone, Im about to buy a pentax dslr but i dont know which one to get. I know there are other threads like this but i didnt want to take over their threads. I guess a bit of background would help. I started out with an old kodak point and shoot then i bought an mz-5 (which is a great camera btw!) Then i bought a canon s3is. I bought that over a dslr but when i got it i realised it was just lacking for my needs.

I'm thinking of a k10d or k100d with the kit lenses (Da18-55 and 50-200). I understand aperture and shutter speed and all that and how it will affect my photos. With all the features and the less time in menus that the k10 offers is it worth the extra money? thanks in advance!
-hoodsa

07-16-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've had a K10D for about 8 months now and so far (with headaches included) i've had a great time learning about photograqphy. Since you are not new to photography, I think the K10D will take you to the next level where as the K100D leans more to the beginner.

The extra cost for me was well worth it as I doubt I will be buying another DSLR in the near future and I wanted something that had some breakthrough technologies for it's price (weather/dust proof, anti shake).
07-16-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

In my opinion K10D is more then worth those extra money it's more expensive than K100D.

I had *ist DS (which is almost identical camera to K100D) and now I have K10D. K10D is so much better camera, if you can afford getting K10D insted of K100D -- do it You won't be disappointed.
07-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Have to concur with the post above. If you're used to using a film dslr then IMHO the settings for portrait/landscape/... and others won't be used much on the k100d.

The k10d would be the logical one to go to.

07-16-2007, 11:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The k100d is more than "the settings for portrait/landscape/...".

You have to put on paper the specifications of both the k100d and the k10d. Then you have to compare them to your needs and wants.

Don't forget that for the extra money you spend on the k10d you could buy a nice lens for the k100d. The price difference between the 2 cameras is $400+. The k100d is no slouch.
07-17-2007, 02:20 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow thanks for the fast reply everyone! i think i might go for the k10d because i do want it too last a long time! thanks again and hopefully ill post some photos soon
-hoodsa
07-17-2007, 02:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
You have to put on paper the specifications of both the k100d and the k10d. Then you have to compare them to your needs and wants.
I may sound offensive, but it is not wise to judge cameras looking at their specifications. Specifications doesn't tell how camera is performing in real life usage.
For me K10D wins over K100D hands down not on specifications but in convenience to use on field, in flexibility, possibility to tailor it's controls to suite particular photographer. I don't need weather sealed body, I don't need dust removal (not working IMHO), I don't need 10 megapixels. I need those two configurable e-dials and all those switches and buttons K10D has and K100D doesn't have
07-17-2007, 03:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I may sound offensive, but it is not wise to judge cameras looking at their specifications. Specifications doesn't tell how camera is performing in real life usage.
For me K10D wins over K100D hands down not on specifications but in convenience to use on field, in flexibility, possibility to tailor it's controls to suite particular photographer. I don't need weather sealed body, I don't need dust removal (not working IMHO), I don't need 10 megapixels. I need those two configurable e-dials and all those switches and buttons K10D has and K100D doesn't have
I agree, but I wouldn't pay twice the price of the k100d for some extra buttons and an extra wheel , if that's the only difference you see .

Anyways the topic starter already chose a camera and I'm shure he'll be happy with it .

Enjoy your K10D hoodsa .

07-17-2007, 03:28 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
I agree, but I wouldn't pay twice the price of the k100d for some extra buttons and an extra wheel , if that's the only difference you see .

Anyways the topic starter already chose a camera and I'm shure he'll be happy with it .

Enjoy your K10D hoodsa .
thanks very much!!! i have a feeling i will
07-17-2007, 03:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I had been looking for a while now ... and although not like you ... I hadn't used an SLR camera prior to my purchase ... but i am willing to learn though and found I went for the better specced K10D body ... yes it is more expensive ... but the features that are available and the flexibility it offers is excellent. I am very happy with my purchase.
07-17-2007, 04:34 AM   #11
Banned

Not true.

The k100d is not a begginners camera.

It is the best 6 mp camera on the market.

I would just say that the k10d is the better value.
07-17-2007, 07:07 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you don't know what you are doing than a DSLR isn't going to take better pictures than your point & shoot, so don't expect great photo's out of the box. It will take plenty of reading and shooting before you start getting results that you want.
07-17-2007, 09:50 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
Hoodsa

Read this review, then go out and purchase your K10D....

If you are a [former] film user, this camera fits exactly the way you're used to shooting.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K10D/K10DA.HTM

I have two of them....

My only complaint is shutter lag/focusing in dmly lit situations....

All of the photos on this site

www.photography.byeric.com

were taken with the K10D
07-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoodsa Quote
Hey everyone, Im about to buy a pentax dslr but i dont know which one to get. I know there are other threads like this but i didnt want to take over their threads.
Don't worry about that. There are several threads here on the K100D vs K10D topic and you might find the answers you want there.

QuoteQuote:
I guess a bit of background would help. I started out with an old kodak point and shoot then i bought an mz-5 (which is a great camera btw!) Then i bought a canon s3is. I bought that over a dslr but when i got it i realised it was just lacking for my needs.
I came to the Pentax DSLRs after owning a Canon PowerShot S3 IS myself. Very fine camera, I think, and remarkably versatile.

QuoteQuote:
I'm thinking of a k10d or k100d with the kit lenses (Da18-55 and 50-200). I understand aperture and shutter speed and all that and how it will affect my photos. With all the features and the less time in menus that the k10 offers is it worth the extra money? thanks in advance!
The perennial question -- and the perennial response is, this question has no answer, or at least none of us can answer for you.

Couple quick thoughts.

Both K100D and K10D are fine cameras. You can take a prize-winning shot with either camera.

Don't worry too much about obsolescence. Whatever you buy today is going to be replaced by a newer model pretty soon. That's just the way it is. If you're rich enough to buy every new model that's released, God bless you -- buy the K10D. There is a new version of the K100D coming out soon, I think. But if you want a camera today, don't let that paralyze you. If you can wait, wait. If you want a camera today or this week, don't feel bad about buying (and saving some money).

Do study the specs and try to see which ones matter to you. I agree with the poster who said something like specs don't make the photo. That's true, but it's untrue to suggest that specs are unimportant. One of the reasons I upgraded from the K100D to the K10D is that I take a lot of sports photography and I wanted the (somewhat) faster continuous-shooting rate that the K10D provides. That's a spec, and it mattered to me. Some of the other advantages of the K10D in the specs department mattered much less (like extra megapixels, weather sealing).

For me and for many buyers, the decision has a lot to do with money. Remember that lenses are as important or almost more important than the camera body. You'll replace the body sooner or later, but you'll keep your lenses. And a K10D with a mediocre lens will take mediocre photos (in technical terms), while a K100D with a superior lens will take technically superior photos. If you have an unlimited budget or at least a big budget, well, go for the K10D. But keep in mind that the body is only a part of what you'll very likely want to end up buying. After you get the body, you're going to want to buy one or two or three or six extra lenses. For the cost of a K10D and the kit lens (now around $800 in the US, I think), you can buy the K100D with the kit lens and get a pretty decent additional lens.

Many of the advantages of the K10D are in the ergonomics or usability of the camera body -- the way that the controls are placed on the body, the way you access those controls to change settings. This matters more if you do a LOT of shooting than if you do less. What's a lot? I don't know, really, but I'd say, if you think you're going to shoot weddings, get the K10D. At a typical swim meet, I will take anywhere from 300-600 or more photos, in a couple of hours. I get no prizes for this and taking lots of pictures does not make me a better photographer -- but it does mean that I really appreciate the fact that I can change the controls on the camera very quickly and most of the time without having to dig into the menu. It also means that I appreciate the sturdier build of the K10D. On the other hand, I don't want to give the impression that shooting with the K100D was frustrating or awkward. Shooting with the PowerShot S3 IS was frustrating and awkward. And I don't want to give the impression that the K100D is cheaply built, it's not. The two cameras are like power tools, say, power drills. One drill costs $200, the other drill costs $300. The one that costs $300 doesn't drill better holes than the less expensive drill. But there is a reason why some carpenters buy the $300 drill.

It's really a personal decision, having to do with the kind of shooting you do, your budget, and a bunch of other factors. Some folks think the K100D is too small. Some folks think the K10D is too big. Some of us really like having the grip for the K10D; others think the grip is a pain and do not miss it on their K100D. Some folks are convinced that the K100D is decisively superior (less noisy) at higher ISOs. Some folks think that the K10D is decisively superior at lower ISOs.

I think the K10D is the safe decision. I think there may have been one person in this forum who got a K10D and wanted to go back to the K100D, but only one that I can remember. While there have been quite a few of us who have moved from the K100D to the K10D.

But the K100D is the economical decision. Unless you're Bill Gates, money matters. And the K100D has its own set of advantages.

You can't go far wrong whatever you get. Learn what you can learn. Good luck.

Will
07-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshooter Quote
Hoodsa

Read this review, then go out and purchase your K10D....

If you are a [former] film user, this camera fits exactly the way you're used to shooting.

Pentax K10D Digital Camera - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!

I have two of them....

My only complaint is shutter lag/focusing in dmly lit situations....

All of the photos on this site

www.photography.byeric.com

were taken with the K10D
I'm a former film user and I've manauled the GX-1L so much I don't even know how to Auto. Like the other day I tried a Pentax AF400FGZ and a Vivitar Series 1 600 M/P/O and blew all my shots on TTL. Then I was like screw it, I got the nikon ttl Vivitar (it was in the best shape) cuz I figured all I needed was the central sync pin. Shot old school (start 100th, ISO 200, f5.6 or f8, flash WB) with a diffuser/bounce card and the shots were great.

All my lenses are manual, the flash has auto and manual. (forget ttl). If all you fuss with is aperture, shutter speed, ISO, WB...honestly any Pentax dslr can more than easily take care of the job. If you don't need the extra 4 megapixels and features offered in the K10D, save yourself $400-500 and get a K100D body, pick up your old lenses and maybe some extra second hand and a swivel/tilt flash and you'll be just as ready as anyone else.