Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-x movie problem

I was trying to record something with my K-x today and when looking at the LCD before pressing the shutter button it looked great...but as soon as I pressed the button to start recording it got really dark and I could barely see anything...playback was exactly the same...all dark.

I was using a Pentax-M 50/1.7 ----- Could this be why? I had the aperture set to 1.7 and all the way up to 22...and no change in light.

04-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
when looking at the LCD before pressing the shutter button it looked great...
It looked "great" because the aperture was wide open. Prior to depressing the shutter, the M50 1.7 will be at f1.7 regardless of what you set the aperture as.

but as soon as I pressed the button to start recording it got really dark and I could barely see anything...playback was exactly the same...all dark.
Because you probably had set the shutter at f8 to f22 and as soon as the recording began, the aperture went down to f22, hence the darkness.

I was using a Pentax-M 50/1.7 ----- Could this be why? I had the aperture set to 1.7 and all the way up to 22...and no change in light.
When the recording is on, there will be a change in aperture. When it's not recording, it will stay at a constant f1.7 regardless of what you set the aperture at. You have to press the GREEN button to get an aperture preview.
04-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok so then what explanation is there as to why it was dark when I had the aperture ring set to 1.7? It should have been exactly as the preview...right?
04-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ok so then what explanation is there as to why it was dark when I had the aperture ring set to 1.7? It should have been exactly as the preview...right?
I'm testing this out on my K-x and M50 f1.7.

It should be exactly as the preview at f1.7. The other possibility is the exposure compensation being set to -1 or lower, however that doesn't explain the difference after shutter depression.

What happens when you press the shutter preview key? Does it get dark?

04-05-2010, 04:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I'm testing this out on my K-x and M50 f1.7.

It should be exactly as the preview at f1.7. The other possibility is the exposure compensation being set to -1 or lower, however that doesn't explain the difference after shutter depression.

What happens when you press the shutter preview key? Does it get dark?

Nothing happens at all......I think I've changed that button to something else.
04-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If you're using manual focus lenses like the m50 1.7, it would be advisable to configure the green button to aperture preview.