Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How do you copy/transfer files to the computer?
Remove memory card from camera, insert memory card to computer's card reader 13880.70%
Connect the camera to the computer using the USB cable 3319.30%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I hardly ever hook the camera to the computer. I use a card reader, it faster & I have more control. I have a small ScanDisk USB reader that will fit in the bag easily. Most of the time I have my netbook with me so using a public computer is almost unheard of for me.

04-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #17
Forum Member

Card reader built into the PC.

Cheers MZ
04-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #18

If you have Linux on your PCs, the decision is made for you - by the Camera Makers!

Not to pick on any Brand - none of them make Tools / Applications for Linux and put them on their CDs. They're not stuck for CD space - even after the Windows and Mac applications are on - there's plenty of space for a Linux version. Linux apps / tools are quite small file sizes.

And no - like the debate about why Viruses-Trojans-etc don't bother Linux - it's not nowadays because "there are hardly any Linux PCs about". There are now many tens of millions around the planet.

Linux does have apps like Digikam, which can link downloads from model-name or generic cameras, but it's no faster than the Makers' apps when used on Windows. So I just use a Card-Reader - which also works at Windows-using friends' places.

(Another interesting discussion might be about why the Camera Makers are now placing their H264 Video in Apple's proprietary MOV container.... But this isn't the thread for that.)

Regards, Dave.
04-06-2010, 04:23 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
55 card reader VS 17 USB cord, ATM

04-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #20

Use the built in card reader on my PC. Plus I usually have a couple of cards full by time I get to my computer.
04-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always use a card reader ( I have 3 actually).
I do this since, "in the beginning" I had the camera connected to my computer, the cable fell from my desk, unnoticed, and when I moved my chair, pulled the cable and wrecked the cable port on my camera. Had to be sent in for repair.

As for leaving card in reader,have done that too, but I never go out without a couple of spare cards, one is actually stored in my battery grip on the K20d where facility is supplied for carrying a spare card.
04-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #22
Forum Member

USB 2.0 card reader with SD cards and SDHC cards, a lot faster than in camera. and yes, it is a san disk mini reader with miniSD card reader, to copy cell phone pictures.
04-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I actually do both - I've got a card reader on my laptop, and a multicard reader I carry in my camera bag.

But on my old desktop system (needs to be retired IMHO ) I use the USB connector on the camera.

In general, the card reader options are a lot faster - but it depends on my location.

Cheers

04-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Looks like I one of the few who just shove the cable into the camera Oh well, I'm lazy.
04-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The reason I use a card reader is battery charge life. Why deplete/tax the charge when a card reader performs the same purpose?

Last edited by Indecent Exposure; 04-07-2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: dislexic typing fingers
04-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #26
Veteran Member

My laptop has an SD card reader. Most ingenious invention ever created, I swear. Why can't it have one for CF on my Canon DSLRs though? I absolutely hate USB.
04-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #27

i ve got a card reader and i just transfer straight away from my sd card.
04-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess you could say I use the former, but I actually have two of the SanDisk Ultra II USB 4GB. This SD card folds in half, becoming a USB flash drive.

I don't like connecting the camera, as you drain the camera's battery to offload photos this way.
04-14-2010, 03:39 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Like around 80% of users I prefer to remove the SD card from the camera and put it into a card-reader. I had no trouble getting Windows Explorer to copy .jpg files from the card to a folder of choice on the hard drive until I recently bought a Pentax Km. Windows Explorer simply will not recognise the SD card formatted in this camera. Nor will My Computer.

I have been forced to connect my camera to the computer, which is a great nuisance. I am away from my home town for six weeks and do not have the cord with me. The standard USB cable does not fit the camera, which requires a special fitting at the camera end of the cord.

I have had no problem with SD cards from Kodak, Canon, Konica-Minolta and Traveller digital cameras. It seems that something in the way the Pentax Km (maybe other Pentaxes too) formats the card makes it unreadable by the standard programmes.

Can anyone suggest a way of getting around this?

Last edited by Kendrick; 04-14-2010 at 03:43 AM. Reason: clerical error
04-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Generally, at home or if I've hauled my netted notebooks and external drives around with me, I use a multi-card reader for the 4 different card types (SM, SD, MS and xD) used by my A/V devices. If on the road with just a mini-laptop, I use the stick-size SD-USB reader that came with my Transcend 16GB SDHC card, and plug the other gizmos in via USB cables. I wrote a script that performs the actual file moves, not trusting any of the canned programs to put stuff where I want it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kendrick Quote
I had no trouble getting Windows Explorer to copy .jpg files from the card to a folder of choice on the hard drive until I recently bought a Pentax Km. Windows Explorer simply will not recognise the SD card formatted in this camera. Nor will My Computer.
What version of Windows? You may need to go into Device Manager, look at your USB ports, and update the drivers. Or you may need to reformat the card from your computer, then rebuild the directory structure.

The only SD problem I've ever had was using a card formatted on a Minolta P&S and inserted into my K20D. Reformatting in the K20 made the card usable in the Minolta, the K20, and three card readers I tried it on. (On reader insisted on reformatting cards after all images had been moved off, which deleted my script also, so that reader is now GONE.)