Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How do you copy/transfer files to the computer?
Remove memory card from camera, insert memory card to computer's card reader 13880.70%
Connect the camera to the computer using the USB cable 3319.30%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #31
Veteran Member

I use the card reader built-in the laptop or use the thumb-drive card reader that acts like a flash drive for the SD cards..no cables to mess up the computer table nor an camera that could get knocked-off the table too!
Although, I'm always thinking that, won't taking the SD card out always would somehow loosen the memory card door on the camera or loosen up the fit, more so when I'm doing it to the W80 since it should be waterproof and I always open the battery door to access the SD card.

04-16-2010, 03:46 AM   #32
Inactive Account

We are one the road with an HP laptop which has its own SD card slot. We have downloaded from SD cards out of Canon and Konica/Minolta compact cameras with Windows Explorer. No worries.

At home we use a multi-card reader.Sd cards from the above two cameras plus a Kodak and also a Compact Flash card from an older Canon. Again, no worries.

Unless Pentax are building something in to their formatting to prevent reading the card outside the camera I cannot see why this card, only, should need re-formatting by the computer. And, if it comes to that, by which computer? We use more than one, the abovementioned and an IBM desktop. Windows XP on both. We have cleared Konica/Minolta and Kodak supplied software off our computers and only have Canon's on because we find this drives our Canon printer the best regardless of which camera took the photo.

If no one on this forum can make a suggestion I might have to have recourse to Pentax themselves but do not know how to do this either. Any suggestions?
05-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Targus card reader. Multiple SDHC cards. You can go to the laptop without any power other than the computer battery and also make backup #2 with a Seagate wallet sized external harddrive and never plug into any power. Nice in the boonies.

JB
05-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I download by putting the card into my laptop's SD reader. Funny thing is, my card is about to go in the garbage, as the seals on it much have broken due to frequent use, and it's come apart!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Card reader built in to the computer.
05-30-2010, 02:29 AM   #36
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

SanDisk's Microdrive is very fast - it also spares the camera's USB connection from being damaged.
It's just easier overall to remove the card and use the card reader.
05-30-2010, 03:14 AM   #37
Forum Member

USB cable

Never liked to fiddle with the card
/Lars
05-30-2010, 03:23 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Does the K-7 come with a USB cable?

I suppose it must still be in the box with the manual.

05-30-2010, 03:26 AM   #39
Forum Member

I never Use the USB cable, always take out the Card and put it in my laptop
05-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
WOW! you are a busy shooter who have no time to download, wondering what is the shutter count of your camera, my guess is you need to replace camera every other month. Do you have a gallery page on internet?
I don't think this thread needs any of your sarcastic remarks nor do I need to explain anything to you. So buzz off and direct your remarks elsewhere.
05-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #41

pentax k7

Dear pentax forums,I would really appreciate some help with the downloading of photos to my computer as I have photos all over the place in the computer but different numbers & different leading letters. I would really like to know if it is possible to turn off the numbering system in the k7 body & use a numbering system I designate. Thanks cameraboy.
05-31-2010, 07:20 AM   #42
Pentaxian

As the SD readers in my desktop (HP) and notebook (Toshiba) failed in the first year, and I'm not in the mood to return them for what I expect is a very temporary repair, I use a reader. Wouldn't know where to find my cable if there were one.

While I use SanDisk Micromate out of paranoia, I'm sure others will generally work fine. The Micromate seems faster than a couple of others I've tried but that hasn't been put to a test.

One reader is in each of the two the camera cases and another is in my desk. I've kept the less-expensive readers about as a fallback - just in case.

I prefer the card reader to the cable owing to problems hanging on to things. I'm convinced (paranoia again) that I'll knock the camera off the desk/table/etc. organizing and carrying out the transfer.

The card readers are particularly helpful when I've several cards to get to the HD. I can fill a 4GB card easily (did two at the latest museum visit) plus I've a P&S on my belt for times when I'm not lugging the SLR about or when it's awkward to extricate the SLR from the clutches of a well-zipped bag or simply don't want to look intimidating. Makes for a lot of cards over the weekend ....
05-31-2010, 09:55 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cameraboy Quote
Dear pentax forums,I would really appreciate some help with the downloading of photos to my computer as I have photos all over the place in the computer but different numbers & different leading letters. I would really like to know if it is possible to turn off the numbering system in the k7 body & use a numbering system I designate. Thanks cameraboy.
The place to fine tune your naming isn't in the camera but on the computer. Most decent image management programs can batch rename files (both existing files and automatically upon import) according to a user-defined template. Check into programs like Elements, Lightroom, ACDSee, Aperture, etc - probably even free utilites like Picasa?