Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How do you copy/transfer files to the computer?
Remove memory card from camera, insert memory card to computer's card reader 13880.70%
Connect the camera to the computer using the USB cable 3319.30%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
How do you copy/transfer files to computer?

How do you copy/transfer files from your camera to the computer?

Do you remove the memory card from the camera then insert it to the computer's card reader?

Or do you use the USB cable to connect the camera to the computer?

04-05-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I use card reader. it's more comfortable and I think faster too
04-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I voted the cardreader option, but when I'm traveling, hotel computers often only have USB ports, so I use the cable when necessary.
04-05-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Using the USB cable means keeping the camera on, which uses up batteries and prevents you from using the camera to shoot. Secondly, transfer by a card reader is noticeably faster. I also don't like to connect the USB cable as the physical connection to the camera is kinda flimsy imo plus one has to be careful not to eject from the computer side prematurely or risk corrupting any image files while downloading. A card reader is so much smaller compared to the USB cable size wise, a consideration when packing. Using an external card reader means having the camera ready to use by inserting a fresh SD card while images from the other card is being downloaded.

04-05-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Kingston USB card reader for me most of the time - quick and easy. If i'm on the go, I have an SDHC slot on my thinkpad
04-05-2010, 01:46 AM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First my answer to the poll: I do use both a card reader and the USB cable, depending upon which computer I use. At home I use the card reader, but I use the USB cable when I travels or am at work.

Second, you were provided already with some good feedback: (a) the transfer rate with a card reader is faster indeed, and (b) you do not to switch on the camera.

But there is nothing wrong with a file transfer by USB cable: I have done it for 9 years with all my cameras without a single problem.

I add that I tend to empty my card as soon as possible for safety and backup, as well as for having a maximum storage space on the card at any one time. In addition, I tend to reformat the card every so often: (a) everytime there is a firmware update off course, and (b) every 2-3 months to check the card integrity.

Hope that the comment will help, although I could not contribute to the poll since there is no option for people using both card reader and USB cable.
04-05-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

USB only. Cable is far easier in my opinion. Disavantage, specially on AA powered models, is that it will drain battery power faster leaving less shots. Solution for that is obvious an external power supply.
04-05-2010, 01:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a little SanDisk MicroMate. It's fast enough for me.

04-05-2010, 05:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter

On board laptop card reader
04-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter

$9.99 Targus card reader, which also reads just about any other card. Fast enough for me and I don't drain my camera batteries.
04-05-2010, 06:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think the biggest risk of using a card reader is that you sometimes forget to return the card to your camera afterwards. It's extremely disappointing to find that you've lugged you camera and heavy lenses around and you can't take any photos because of a lack of memory.
04-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

In my PC at home if I use the USB, I am not able to tranfer the Raw files. While if I use the card reader I am able. I have no time now to see what is the problem, so i continue to use the card reader.
04-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I think the biggest risk of using a card reader is that you sometimes forget to return the card to your camera afterwards. It's extremely disappointing to find that you've lugged you camera and heavy lenses around and you can't take any photos because of a lack of memory.
Having a spare card in the bag would prevent that from being an issue. Also, leaving the card door open while downloading, so you'll notice it next time you go to use the camera, helps prevent it happening in the first place. I always put the card back in the camera immediately after downloading; it's just part of my routine.
04-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I do the same as Marc. I leave the door open so I know that the card isn't in the camera and as soon as the photos are moved to the computer, I put the card back in the camera. And I also have more than one card.
04-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I always use the USB cord.
Along with an exterior power supply (AC Adaptor) that I purchased with my K100d.
Transferring to my iMac which, fortunately for me is foolproof, fast and imposes no drain on the batteries.

I also use the power supply when I clean the sensor.

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 04-05-2010 at 10:07 AM.