Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the crap that is included is only useless until you delete it and then have a need.

Basically the Crap is not all that useless, at least I have never found the features on the *istD, K10D and K7D useless except for some of the post processing, but then your panographic idea would also fall into that area.

For me, I would like to customize basic camera functions,. if I want to PP i use a desktop with a 22 inch monitor, even the monitor on the K7 just does not cut it compared to my high resolution 16 x 9 format 22 inch monitor.
Better to have than not to have... but better to replace ;D! Personally the only real thing I don't use often is the filter stuff... rather replace that with.... PANORAMA YAY!

04-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #17
Forum Member

It's gonna be like it was with the mobile phones. At least i hope so.
04-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LinXitoW Quote
It's gonna be like it was with the mobile phones. At least i hope so.
Between 2002 and 2 months ago, I had no cellphone, so I don't know how things were in that period. But if you mean the emergence of phone apps... yeah, that would be good.

Hey, how about downloading DOF and diffraction limit calculators?!? And a weather app to warn you when you're about to lose your light or get hailed upon. And a dust app that tells you when to clean your sensor. And a klaxon that goes HONK! when your shot is out of focus. In fact, it could keep the shutter from firing if the subject is blurry. Oh wait, we already have that -- it's called Catch-In-Focus. Ok then, an app that pops your flash for fill-light when needed. And a portrait app that says SMILE! when you half-press the shutter. And... I'd better stop now.
04-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by riorico Quote
...and a portrait app that says smile! When you half-press the shutter. And... I'd better stop now.

04-07-2010, 05:40 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One parting comment here before I leave this thread, and that is:

WHen you look at cell phones the reason there are so many apps for them is that the hardware is merging with PDA's and MP3 players due to the readily available memory and cheap processors, and the very limited real processing power needed for a cell phone. With all that spare power, sure go ahead and add a bunch of crap that you play with and dont really use, or merge functions to reduce the number of things you carry (not only the units but spare batteries, chargers which are all different etc...)

BUT when you look at cameras, people are still bitching about the raw image processing speed, limited buffer size, down time to write the buffer to memory etc, and at the same time the resolution of the sensors is still increasing (but hopefully it wall trend towards flat soon). As a result, there is not the same spare processing power available, and while some may want all the frivolous functions in a camera, I would prefer, and I think many would agree, it would be better to have improved performance as a camera first and not waste the camera maker's development time on a bunch of unnecessary crap that will drive the hardware cost at this point.

Perhaps in the future, when processing power and batteries are improved by 3-4 orders of magnitude, we can have a 20 MP Camera with Electronic 20MP viewfinder a cell phone, PDA, IPOD (or other MP3) and image processor, with 1TB of memory, for image storage, and it will be the size of your wallet. and, I forgot, a 1mm to 1000 mm F1 equivelent lens, ISO 1,000,000 maximum, and most importantly Mindread.exe so it takes pictures of what we want to see as opposed to what we actually see.