Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Customizable firmware?

I wished we could have customizable firmware, so we can add/remove tools/functions that we want/don't want.

Example... I'd like a panorama function ;D so it can stitch it right inside the camera!

04-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

don't we all? but it will not be happening any time soon, IMO.

Keep an eye on the marketplace, I might be selling an A f1.4 in the next weeks...
04-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
don't we all? but it will not be happening any time soon, IMO.

Keep an eye on the marketplace, I might be selling an A f1.4 in the next weeks...
Hehe okay man, I hope I have enough by then ;P. If not then... I'll probably be out of luck.

Thanks for the heads up.
04-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
I wished we could have customizable firmware, so we can add/remove tools/functions that we want/don't want.

Example... I'd like a panorama function ;D so it can stitch it right inside the camera!
That'd be amazing. I'd love to get a timelaps function for my K-x. But yeah, not gonna happen.

04-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sometimes it is good to know how real development happens for low level stuff.
It is nature that is preventing such things, first.
And users don't need all this crap, second.
I mean normal users, not geeks :-)
04-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what would be better would be for pentax to provide the compiler and source code, after some time, and a moderate price, to users who want to develop or make custom modifications, with the provision that pentax would charge for restoring back to the origonal latest version if the person screwed it up totally such that firmware would not load correctly.

I can think of several functions that I would want, or want to modify, and would be willing to do so,

There could even be a disclosure agreement with pentax that provided some form of compensation either way with respect to commercial use of the modified code.

For example

I would want to add
- a function to include teleconverters, with modification of focal length, aperture or both such that exif data was correct, and shake reduction and exposure were correct (especially on K10D), but for shake reduction on all cameras supporting it.
- rescale my K10D exposure for the split image screen I use and manual aperture lenses.
- add a function for stop down of manual aperture lenses inputting max and min aperture, for "A" type controls. including TTL flash
- modify the shutter speed controls in flash mode to use manually input focal length as opposed to setting shutter speed to maximum if focal length is not read from the lens.

If the functions worked. I would be willing to hand them over to pentax for future use, with a small royality, or the other way around for me to sell them and pay pentax a lisencing fee for the base software.
04-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no news or rumor of this being available, just wishing, so I'm moving this to the DSLR section.

04-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

How about customisable hardware ;)

I don't need AF for my manual lenses on one of my bodies, so AF sensor and motor drive can be out. And I like to add a split prism.

Yeah, definitely sounds like a good idea to me.
04-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I forgot; how about a user swappable sensor

User swappable sensor. Stick a 12MP Kx sensor in for low light. And stick a 36MP with base ISO 50 or so in for those times that you really want the highest resolution.

Hmm
04-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I don't need AF for my manual lenses on one of my bodies, so AF sensor and motor drive can be out. And I like to add a split prism.

Yeah, definitely sounds like a good idea to me.
User swappable sensor. Stick a 12MP Kx sensor in for low light. And stick a 36MP with base ISO 50 or so in for those times that you really want the highest resolution.

Hmm
you need to understand that those changes are not firmware, but hardware

firmware means the software imbedded into the camera that makes it a camera, and the associated functions that are implemented
04-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Lowell, if you look at the titles that I gave the posts, you will see that I know it's hardware
04-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But why want that in a camera while a pc is much better in things like that.
Take for example the HDR function in the K7. After taking a HDR picture it takes several seconds before you're cam is ready to take it's next shot.
Second negative point is that for HDR you are almost convicted in using a tripod.

When i want a HDR picture, i simply take 1 picture in RAW (or PNG) format, and "develope" it with my favorite editing software in 2 or 3 versions with different light settings. Merging those in 1 HDR image gives much better results as the HDR of the camera itself.
04-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lowell, if you look at the titles that I gave the posts, you will see that I know it's hardware
the difference is, and I believe this is the intent of the OP (who I hope will comment), is to have customizable and selectable features on an existing camera, without having to modify hardware.

while some of your ideas may also have merrit, they would require new camera designs. and a change in camera layout.

Not that I wouldn't mind an interchangable back (or 5) for my PZ-1 with different full frame sensors as opposed to a film back.

The PZ-1 is in many ways still technically better than any of the DSLRS, with its 1/8000 shutter, 1/250 sync speed, fully functioning K mount, etc...

It would make an excellent DSLR starting point.
04-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the difference is, and I believe this is the intent of the OP (who I hope will comment), is to have customizable and selectable features on an existing camera, without having to modify hardware.

while some of your ideas may also have merrit, they would require new camera designs. and a change in camera layout.

Not that I wouldn't mind an interchangable back (or 5) for my PZ-1 with different full frame sensors as opposed to a film back.

The PZ-1 is in many ways still technically better than any of the DSLRS, with its 1/8000 shutter, 1/250 sync speed, fully functioning K mount, etc...

It would make an excellent DSLR starting point.
Hehe HERE I AM! and yes, those are really cool ideas. Basically I posted this is because, I feel like there's a lot of useless crap in the camera that I don't need, and also some REALLY good stuff. There are a lot of functions sure, but I don't really like to play around with the filters in the camera ;P.

Also... customizable hardware WOULD be really cool, but I feel that it may end up costing a lot to upgrade your camera into a super camera! We need a specific body design that allows you to do so though. We also need to find out if Pentax or third-parties would be willing to build these parts that fit.

It's a lot easier though to customize firmware than to customize hardware in my opinion. Though... the menu seems pretty user friendly, it just doesn't feel like home yet.
04-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hehe HERE I AM! and yes, those are really cool ideas. Basically I posted this is because, I feel like there's a lot of useless crap in the camera that I don't need, and also some REALLY good stuff. There are a lot of functions sure, but I don't really like to play around with the filters in the camera ;P.

Also... customizable hardware WOULD be really cool, but I feel that it may end up costing a lot to upgrade your camera into a super camera! We need a specific body design that allows you to do so though. We also need to find out if Pentax or third-parties would be willing to build these parts that fit.

It's a lot easier though to customize firmware than to customize hardware in my opinion. Though... the menu seems pretty user friendly, it just doesn't feel like home yet.
the crap that is included is only useless until you delete it and then have a need.

Basically the Crap is not all that useless, at least I have never found the features on the *istD, K10D and K7D useless except for some of the post processing, but then your panographic idea would also fall into that area.

For me, I would like to customize basic camera functions,. if I want to PP i use a desktop with a 22 inch monitor, even the monitor on the K7 just does not cut it compared to my high resolution 16 x 9 format 22 inch monitor.