Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #16

To get the flash to pop up on its own, it has to be in auto-flash.

While in shooting mode, press the 'down' key. This brings up the flash options. For beginners, experiment with just two of the option -- <lightning bolt> and <lightning bolt with A>. (The rest are red-eye, slow sync, trailing slow sync, and remote.)

With <lightning bolt> set, the camera will never flash until you manually pop it up. If the flash is up, it always flashes. I think the confusion here is that, on a point & shoot, a <lightning bolt> usually means always flash while a <lightning bolt with circle and diagonal line> means never flash. On the K-x, this third symbol does not exist.

With <lightning bolt with A> set, camera will flash when there is not enough light, just like a point & shoot.

Another thing, some of the scene modes will lock certain flash modes. Best to stick with one of the P/Sv/Tv/Av/M modes instead.

Last edited by grillfire; 06-18-2010 at 12:26 PM.
06-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #17

C menu 3, 16 is off, and it doesn't help.

No matter what mode, or what flash mode, manual or auto, no matter what do, it won't flash. Or, pop up on it's own. I can pop it up manually, but it still won't flash.
06-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't believe that a camera left the factory with the flash not working.

Maybe you should try to run the firmware update again.
06-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I can't believe that a camera left the factory with the flash not working...
You are assuming it was a brand-new purchase

It may be a second hand item bought from Craigslist or eBay or something. In which case you never know it's history.

A previous owner may have dropped the camera, or put in over-charged NiZn AA batteries, which have been said to fry flashes.

Etc etc etc.

06-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You are assuming it was a brand-new purchase

It may be a second hand item bought from Craigslist or eBay or something. In which case you never know it's history.

A previous owner may have dropped the camera, or put in over-charged NiZn AA batteries, which have been said to fry flashes.

Etc etc etc.
Excellent point:

The OP disappeared, and now we're talking to Cinders.
06-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #21

yeah, i bought it on ebay :[
i know, probably not the best idea, but i couldn't find many other places that had it for $485. Also, the seller lived literally 30 mins. from me, so the shipping was sure to be fast.
06-19-2010, 01:19 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hey Cinders, if it's any consolation, I've had my K-x for about 8 months I guess, and I think I've used the built-in flash about 5 times.

During that time I've done a lot of interior and night-time shooting too, so you can probably survive without the in-built flash for a while. That is until you decide to get it fixed, or it decides to fix itself (which seems to happen sometimes with complex equipment like cameras).

Look on the bright side - think of the dead flash it as a learning opportunity - fate is giving you an opportunity to learn how to shoot well using ambient light. The K-x gives you plenty of room to move when it comes to that kind of shooting, so you might be surprised at how little you miss having the flash...
06-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #23
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Hey Cinders, if it's any consolation, I've had my K-x for about 8 months I guess, and I think I've used the built-in flash about 5 times.
Same situation here, but if the pop-up flash doesn't work, communication to the hot shoe might be screwed too.

06-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
OK, this is a longshot, but it wouldn't be the first time someone has been bitten by this:

You weren't by any chance wearing a baseball cap (or other hat with a low/stiff brim) when testing, were you? The brim often pushes the flash down just enough to keep it from firing.

If not a hat, do check out the flash mechanically to make sure it is popping all the way up - maybe something lodged in the hinge is interfering just enough to keep it from firing.
06-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #25

It manages to go up all the way when I manually pop it out. I tried to lightly pull it up some more, but it won't go any higher.

But you guys have a point, that's why I'm not too worried, I bought the camera mostly for it's low light ability. I can do without a flash for now, but it'd be nice to get a fix at some point. Hopefully someone will come up with a fix here one day, so I don't have to pay some sketchy camera repair place.

Anyways thanks for the help, I'll be fine without it for now.
11-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #26

Hi, I am another user of the pentax k-x that is having trouble with the built-in flash.
I already tried to make the firmware update (for the second time), but it didn't make any difference.

I already used the flash many times, but suddenly it didn't work anymore.
At least the hotshoe still works.

The sad thing is that I bought it new, from amazon in US, but now I am at home (Brazil) and I think I won't have any help from the warranty.

I know this is not a very important contribution, but at least you (and anothers like me) may know that this is a recusive problem with this otherwise great camera.
11-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #27

Hmm, your hotshoe does work? That's reassuring.

I haven't been able to test the hotshoe yet, maybe I should buy the cheapest flash I can to test it out (a vivitar flash for $40)
11-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #28

Hey guys, you won't believe this. I'm ecstatic right now. My on board flash is working perfectly now (i'm assuming the hot shoe is fine too).

It just started working today right after I.....took the plastic cover off the hot shoe. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, or if it's because I haven't tested it since I bought these new batteries, but I've tried all sorts of batteries before with no luck. So I'm thinking it must have had something to do with the hot shoe cover, which is strange because I could have sworn I tried using the flash without it on before.

Anyways, it works perfectly, and I'm happy. Time to start looking into buying a proper flash.
11-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cinders Quote
Anyways, it works perfectly, and I'm happy. Time to start looking into buying a proper flash.
Well, I'm not sure it is a proper flash, but I got a Bower SFD290 that swivels, bounces, manually zooms, and has 2 auto ranges, plus M. Not anything fancy. I think it was $36 or $39.

I'm not a flash guy which is why I sold the AF540. I think I used it twice over a couple years.

In the last few months I have used this one to "paint with light" on a building during long exposures, as fill-flash in contrasty morning sun, and a few "regular" interior shots. I'm more likely to carry it around as well, as it is a little smaller and lighter than the AF540.
11-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #30

Hey Cinders, congratulations!
My camera is already without the plastic cover, I took it of few days ago..

"It just started working today right after I.....took the plastic cover off the hot shoe. I don't know if that has anything to do with it"

Probally is the switch that is at the left side of the hotshoe, I think that if it is pressed, the camera understands that there is a flash over there, isn't that?