Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shutterbug review of K10D

The August 2007 issue of SHUTTERBUG has a lengthy and very positive review of the K10D by Joe Farace. (Concidentally, Farace is the author of the Magic Lantern book on the K00D.) The review seems to have been written quite a while ago. He notes for example that Lightroom doesn't yet support the K10D's PEF format; news to me, as I've been using Lightroom since I got my K10D at the start of the year, and I have never had a problem. He also mentions the 1.10 firmware update. We're now up to 1.30, I think.

He has a few complaints, all of them petty. He doesn't like the way the SD card door latches. But it's a fair review and overall, it's quite enthusiastic about the camera. His concluding paragraph begins, "The Pentax K10D has the look and feel as well as performance of a much more expensive camera." Well, yeah.

It's not worth buying the mag for this review, at least not if you already own a K10D. It may be worth buying the mag for the other stuff (it's a pretty decent mag for enthusiasts). I just wanted to mention that a another very widely read US photo magazine has given the K10D a really good review.

Will

07-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
(Concidentally, Farace is the author of the Magic Lantern book on the K00D.)

Hey!! Is the K00D a newly released model, Will?

QuoteQuote:
The review seems to have been written quite a while ago.

Fairly typical. Some magazines have production times (layout to printing) exceeding one to two months, with contributors submitting articles well before even that. After production, magazines have to be delivered and finally put on store shelves. As such, that article could have been written as far back as February or March. Not exactly "hot off the press" coverage, is it? Regardless, nice to see another overall positive review.

stewart
07-18-2007, 02:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Hey!! Is the K00D a newly released model, Will?
Personally, I'm waiting for the K007! Should be a killer.
07-19-2007, 03:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I read that review before I purchased my K10D. I had done my research and I knew the K10D was the camera I wanted and that review supported my decision. It did, however, sway my decision to also get the battery grip.

Ray Allen.

07-19-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
He has a few complaints, all of them petty. He doesn't like the way the SD card door latches.
Ya, that one I don't get at all. I personally love the little twist latch. Good to hear there's good press tho anyway. Hopefully that'll translate into sales, even given the Hoya takeover (it had me worried in deciding to buy it), and if the audiance gets big enough may just result in some quality long lenses being produced again.