Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2007, 06:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Surprised

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
In the next generation, I would like a couple of things that are not available on the K10D. I want a Flash Synchro-X input, so I don't need to put an adapter in the Hot Shoe.
I would also appreciate a CF card slot as well as the existing SD slot. I would also like a 12.8 megapixel sensor that can be used up to 3200 iso. That is all I am asking for in the next generation.

Ben
I would have though radio slave triggers were more your thing- I thought you would have hated being tethered...

07-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I would have though radio slave triggers were more your thing- I thought you would have hated being tethered...
Yeah, Ben, I'm also wondering about that. Why are you using sync cords anyway? :-)

I've written about my dream pentax body before, and my list keeps changing. The reality is that right now pentax needs to get their glass out. All of it. Make it available. I really don't want to see another body introduced until they have some of their roadmap available.

Okay, that said, here is my wishlist:

1. High max flash sync (1/1000 would be nice. You would have to use an electronic shutter, but it would be worth it for creative flash lighting outdoors in sunlight). I would settle for 1/500 which is doable with a traditional shutter as well. HHS doesn't cut it.

2. I want the body to be a little smaller. I know - where are they going to find the space to put all the stuff into?

3. I would love to see them implement some cool stuff in the optional grip. The grip could have a second SD card slot (I would rather have two SD slots than an SD and CF combo), a WIFI chip, a x-sync port, pocketwizard chip, etc. The basic idea is to put the essentials in the body, and the optionals in the grip.

4. A usable 3200 would be nice as well.

That's all I want. :-)
07-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #18
wll
Veteran Member

Next K?

12 to 14mp is more than enough for me .... high quality 3200 iso would be very nice for concert work.

I would also like better DR but that comes with each generation I suppose and Pentax knows that is a big issue.

Having an option to set you Auto Focus for your main lenses you use most of the time would also be great.

Having an option to set JPG edge sharpness would also be a great idea and silence the JPG trolls.

Yes an x-sync would be great....... but I would really love a movable lcd or a Pentax adapter (like Zigview, but better). That would make life so much easier for those low shots and some of my studio work.

Keeping the camera body size and feature set already in the K10D and with a few more usable features, would make the next step up a winner for me.

wll
07-18-2007, 08:03 AM   #19

- 12 or more MP sensor
- low 3200 iso noise
- Higher FPS speed something like 5 of 8 FPS
- Bigger and faster Buffer, minimal 35 RAW's
- Bigger Viewfinder 100% coverage
- Better place for the green button
- A AF button on the grip
- WB selection with a switch

And one of the most important parts, more lenses !

And for me personaly the most important part, more service ! Give us something like NPS or CPS, I don't want to wait a month to get my body or lens repaired.

07-18-2007, 08:29 AM   #20

meaningless

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Could it please be explained what this means?
It doesn't mean anything. Its an output not an input.

Its a little X-sync socket that you plug an external flash into to use x-sync. Pentax had it on the *Ist D, but have neglected to put it on the K10D. This will be for a simple reason. Cost/benefit analysis will almost certainly show that most new buyers of digital slrs will also buy a ptl flash. It's only us hairy old pentaxians who will miss the x-sync, because it used to be all we knew.

If you have a compatible hammer-head or other off-shoe flash, it will run from the hot-shoe perfectly well, as long as the trigger voltage is not high enough to fry the camera. You just wont have all the sums done for you and will have to work some stuff out for yourself....or chimp till its right.
07-18-2007, 08:59 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the wifi + wireless flash trigger grip idea. Brilliant.
07-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I Don't

QuoteOriginally posted by ncallender Quote
Yeah, Ben, I'm also wondering about that. Why are you using sync cords anyway? :-)

I've written about my dream pentax body before, and my list keeps changing. The reality is that right now pentax needs to get their glass out. All of it. Make it available. I really don't want to see another body introduced until they have some of their roadmap available.

Okay, that said, here is my wishlist:

1. High max flash sync (1/1000 would be nice. You would have to use an electronic shutter, but it would be worth it for creative flash lighting outdoors in sunlight). I would settle for 1/500 which is doable with a traditional shutter as well. HHS doesn't cut it.

2. I want the body to be a little smaller. I know - where are they going to find the space to put all the stuff into?

3. I would love to see them implement some cool stuff in the optional grip. The grip could have a second SD card slot (I would rather have two SD slots than an SD and CF combo), a WIFI chip, a x-sync port, pocketwizard chip, etc. The basic idea is to put the essentials in the body, and the optionals in the grip.

4. A usable 3200 would be nice as well.

That's all I want. :-)
I don't use a cable..I use a radio slave..But if something were to happen and things got nasty for what ever reason, I would love to have the classic backup as an option.
07-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #23
Forum Member

I don't use a cable..I use a radio slave..But if something were to happen and things got nasty for what ever reason, I would love to have the classic backup as an option.
I hadn't thought of the x-sync socket as playing backup for the hot shoe (or visa versa). I'll remember that in case I tear up the hot shoe on a body. Now, I'll also second an x-sync socket (I'll settle for it in the optional grip). I'm sure pentax can get the actual sockets for $0.25 in bulk. :-)

Ben - I've been wanting to ask you this - not to hijack the thread (I can start a new one if needed) - but if the Digital 645 were released, would you keep shooting with the APS-C bodies and the limiteds? What was it about the K10D that drew you to using it? Just curious... :-)

07-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Ok, here's my wish:

I want additional "anti blown highlights" Multi-segment exposure mode

I hate when K10D makes picture look "right" but with blown highlighs. I want mode, when my DSLR won't allow blown highlights

Oh, and I want all those bugs in firmware fixed.

Permanent sensitivity display on LCD panel and viewfinder.

One or two konfigurable buttons. Oh, I would like that useleless (for me) RAW button on K10D to be configurable, I would configure it for drive mode change.
Well for me, that Raw button is great. I shoot a few test shots in Jpeg, get it to were i want it, then hit the raw button and shoot it.
Delete the other ones and i have my "perfect shot" or atleast for me.:-)

My D2H and D200 have the function button, that i set for CW metering. No reason Pentax can't add one more button, since the DOF button is now the lever by the shutter.

Dave Brooks
07-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #25

How about interchangeable viewfinders?

It's been a while since we've seen those, and pentax is known for it's excellent finders, and it'd give them yet another edge over the competition. How about it for the K20D, or whatever it'll be?
07-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm quite happy with my K10D already, and I see myself using it for years to come.

What I want from Pentax now is glass, glass, and more glass. I do think they're missing out on a great opportunity by delaying the release of the DA* lenses. The market is already growing, but once people get tired of the delays, some might just switch back to another brand.

Even Sigma can't make HSM lenses for Pentax until the DA* lenses arrive.

And I whole-heartedly support Peter's want for the return of the FA* lenses. I mean, why not reintroduce them? The technology and designs are there, there's now a market wanting to buy those, so why not make profit off them? I myself would be willing to save money for some FA* lenses. At the very least, it would be a stop-gap measure for the delays they're having with the DA* lenses. And not all Pentax users have existing glass already. I know I don't. I switched from Canon some time back.
07-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #27
Veteran Member

In the next generation, I would like a couple of things that are not available on the K10D. I want a Flash Synchro-X input, so I don't need to put an adapter in the Hot Shoe.
I would also appreciate a CF card slot as well as the existing SD slot. I would also like a 12.8 megapixel sensor that can be used up to 3200 iso. That is all I am asking for in the next generation.

Ben
Since good "new glass" is hard to come by/nonexistent, and the same goes for flash units (A total of 3 P-TTL capable flashes exist), I'd like to see the following:

Ditch the "Crippled" KAF2 mount and bring back a REAL KAF2 mount that provides equivalent functionality to Pentax film SLRs when combined with manual aperture rings. It's nice that the "classic" K and M series lenses sort of work on the camera, but they're a massive pain to use. My old 50mm f/2 Pentax-M worked great on my old PZ-70 film camera even for action photography (such as hockey games). There's no way I could use that lens as effectively in such situations with the K10D. The current limitations also make shopping for extension tubes for macro photography an incredible pain.

Similarly, it would be nice if at least the top-tier DSLRs in Pentax's line retained the light sensors needed for normal TTL (not P-TTL) operation, allowing compatibility with existing TTL flash systems.
07-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #28
Forum Member

Another thing I would like to see from Pentax with their new DSLRs - well this is in addition to their dslrs - is a radio based p-ttl flash system where the camera body could control multiple flashes on the same channel both in P-TTL with EV compensation and also in full manual mode. You could use the screen on the back of the body to adjust a whole multi-flash setup and since it's radio based it could be used without the line-of-sight problems that current wireless setups now have.

I would be fine if you had to buy a transmitter to put on the hot shoe, but have the receivers built into the flashes and the program logic built into the firmware. Nikon is the king of flash, but pentax could be the king of strobist-eque lighting.

PocketWizard may not like it, but why doesn't pentax just team up with them to develop the system. So, I guess my real suggestion is to license PW tech and integrate it with the body and flash units.

I know, it's a bit of a stretch, but maybe some of the pentax engineers are reading, right? :-)
07-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Since good "new glass" is hard to come by/nonexistent, and the same goes for flash units (A total of 3 P-TTL capable flashes exist), I'd like to see the following:

Ditch the "Crippled" KAF2 mount and bring back a REAL KAF2 mount that provides equivalent functionality to Pentax film SLRs when combined with manual aperture rings. It's nice that the "classic" K and M series lenses sort of work on the camera, but they're a massive pain to use. My old 50mm f/2 Pentax-M worked great on my old PZ-70 film camera even for action photography (such as hockey games). There's no way I could use that lens as effectively in such situations with the K10D. The current limitations also make shopping for extension tubes for macro photography an incredible pain.

Similarly, it would be nice if at least the top-tier DSLRs in Pentax's line retained the light sensors needed for normal TTL (not P-TTL) operation, allowing compatibility with existing TTL flash systems.
I second the stupidity of the 'crippled' mount. It probably seemed like a great way to cost production costs when they first came out with that idea, but in hindsight the amount of confusion and frustration it brought to pentax-land I think has been pretty detrimental. Don't get me wrong - the other camera companies do this stuff too. probably more than pentax, but they have the weight to do stuff like that. Oh well, we all do dumb stuff, but they could bring back the 'uncrippled' mount and people would appreciate it.
07-18-2007, 07:22 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Very happy with aps sensor and the K10D. To improve it.
1. Bigger buffer. Want to be able to shoot raw more than 9 shots. 3 fps is fast enough for me.
2. TTL flash, or P-ttl that actually works at less than .7 meter. Don't understand why this is so hard. The flash is emitting a preflash. Why does being close screw that up thru the lens? Camera always underexposes in that situation. I leave flash on + 1 exposure comp for macro and have to dial another 1/2 step in on body. Hard to believe it can constantly underexpose at 12" away with 540 flash.
3. 100% viewfinder.
4. T setting with wireless remote.
5. Mark the sensor postion on the body.
6. Rough up bottom of camera/grip near tripod socket so it isn't as slick.
7. Make lcd screen cover user removable. Had a Konica P&S with thick clear perspex held on by four screws. If you killed it just unscrew and replace. Beats every lcd protector . Even ship camera with extra cover.
8. Make raw button configurable when in raw.
9. Video input! Allow checking images on portable harddrive without buyig expensive Epson. We already have great lcd on camera.
10. Uncripple K mount.
11. Allow us to renumber files in camera.
12. Optional split image focus screen for maual focus users.
13. Live view. With articulating lcd or allow top lcd control panel to show image!
14. Panning mode for SR.
15. Builtin gps or place to plug one in.
Just some ideas.
Doesn't Nikon have a camera that shots a smaller format to allow higher speeds and shoots normal aps at other times?
thanks
barondla