Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2007, 05:06 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
high ISO performance is useless in most practice;
Actually I think ISO performance is very very important. IMO it's one of those things that will really be helpful.

In low light situations, ISO is the only factor that hasn't reached its limits yet. You may have fast glass, but the further you need to reach, the heavier and larger will be the glass. When you're shooting non stationary objects in low light you're going to need that iso performance badly.

07-20-2007, 02:21 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by countzero Quote
What I would like implemented is a workaround for the crippled KAF2 mount - just like we tell the body the focal length of the K or M lens we're using, can't they put in a mode (an "M-Av" mode if you will) were we could tell the body what's the max aperture of the lens attached (once for lens, like the SR length input) and then use the scroll wheel to tell the camera what aperture is set on the ring, and so allow it to meter properly? This could be done in firmware, right?

I dream of this... all that wonderful K glass at wonderful prices...
I would accept this as a workaround. It's not the initial per-lens setup time that annoys me, it's the per-shot setup in an area with varying lighting that drives me nuts with my 50mm/2 Pentax-M or 135mm/2.5 Takumar-Bayonet (yeah yeah I know not SMC - still quite a nice lens compared to most of what is available nowadays).

Edit: Even if we're stuck with "hypermanual" mode, I would really like the ability to pre-dial some EC.

Right now, the steps if you KNOW you need some EC are:
Hit green button
Move front dial N steps corresponding to the amount of EC you want
Look at the shutter speeds to make sure you didn't accidentally dial in one extra or one too few
Take shot
Repeat for every shot

What I'd like to be able to do:
Set exposure compensation in advance
Hit green button
Take shot

Similarly, I've been thinking of buying a fixed-aperture mirror lens (like maybe the Rubinar 500/5.6). For such a lens, exposure compensation in "forced aperture priority" mode would be nice. Right now dialing in EC is disallowed in "forced Av" mode.

Last edited by Entropy; 07-20-2007 at 02:26 PM.
07-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Yes, higher ISO speeds with low noise are VERY important!

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Actually I think ISO performance is very very important. IMO it's one of those things that will really be helpful.

In low light situations, ISO is the only factor that hasn't reached its limits yet. You may have fast glass, but the further you need to reach, the heavier and larger will be the glass. When you're shooting non stationary objects in low light you're going to need that iso performance badly.
Yes, exactly, the high ISO is unimportant only for someone who don't need to shoot indoor and at lower light. Even more, fast glass decrease much the DoF so that again higher ISO is needed to keep more things in focus.

Frankly, the higher ISO desire and need will never be satisfied :-) My 5D's ISO 1250 (actually measured speed is 1600) is more or less having the noise level of ISO 800 (actually accurate) of my K100D. But then I still want that the ISO 1250 and 1600 of the 5D to be cleaner and that the 3200 to be more usable (of course it is already yet better than that of the K100, but still rather noisy).

Anyway, the 5D is already the best I have ever seen for any DSLRs I have ever seen. I do hope that Pentax some days later can make a DSLR has that high ISO performance, or even better. But it's just like a dream unless they can find a better sensor with some kind of technology breakthrough. Our friend Roland (Mabo) once told me that such sensor is coming will possibly be used in the upcoming K1D (or whatever it is called) which will appear autumn next year. So, let's hope it is true and will come true!
07-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Yes, exactly, the high ISO is unimportant only for someone who don't need to shoot indoor and at lower light.
Which is what drove me back to canon when i was ready to make the switch. Just after i shot a musical with the k100d, i was offered some more work in that area and someone also approached me about shooting their wedding. I went back and looked over my results from the musical and I knew with both better glass and better high iso performance, my end product would be better.

I looked at the lenses on offer from pentax at the time as well as high iso results from the k10D and made the decision that the canon was the better choice given my needs. Especially with the 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 35mm f1.4 and the 85mm f1.8 that i have coming my way in about a month.

Now if pentax could either equal what my 20D can do or even better, beat it, well then there may be a reason for me to switch down the track.

07-20-2007, 11:10 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
Which is what drove me back to canon when i was ready to make the switch. Just after i shot a musical with the k100d, i was offered some more work in that area and someone also approached me about shooting their wedding. I went back and looked over my results from the musical and I knew with both better glass and better high iso performance, my end product would be better.

I looked at the lenses on offer from pentax at the time as well as high iso results from the k10D and made the decision that the canon was the better choice given my needs. Especially with the 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 35mm f1.4 and the 85mm f1.8 that i have coming my way in about a month.

Now if pentax could either equal what my 20D can do or even better, beat it, well then there may be a reason for me to switch down the track.
I think the noise level of the 20D is comparable to the K100D up to ISO 800, that is, the difference is not huge. As for lenses, Canon do have more choices and their lenses are easier to get too than Pentax's, though.
07-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Great...

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote

Well, hopefully that shouldn't be such a long wait!
07-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #52
Veteran Member

I think the noise level of the 20D is comparable to the K100D up to ISO 800, that is, the difference is not huge. As for lenses, Canon do have more choices and their lenses are easier to get too than Pentax's, though.
Yup, the lens availability probably is of concern for people new to Pentax. Let's see if they can push through with the release of the DA* lenses on the date they set.
07-21-2007, 08:46 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Yes, exactly, the high ISO is unimportant only for someone who don't need to shoot indoor and at lower light.
I've been taking sports photos recently outside with my Sigma 70-200/2.8, and the games have been finishing around 5pm, and as it's winter the ISO has been pushed up to 3200 on my Ds. So high ISO performance is important to outdoor shots too!

07-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #54
m8o
Veteran Member

I thought of another one after working with a Bower 2X TC. Many TCs support AF I find. However, the focal length transmitted to the camera is only a fraction of what it is with the TC.

I'd like the ability to tell the camera's shake control to multiply the lens's advertised focal length by whatever the TC multiplier is. I bought this camera in part because of its superior in-body shake control. I hate losing that if I use a TC.
07-21-2007, 10:36 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Mechanical
- weight reduction
- improved dust removal
- larger buttons and D-Pad
- swivel style strap holder (ala K1000)
- ability to light up the side LCD
- accept AA battery just like K100d
- beep and shutter volume control
- competitor mount adaptor (yeah I know this is wishful thinking)

Exposure
- better auto WB
- improved JPG, or larger sharpness, brightness, and contrast configuration range
- ability to diffuse fill flash
- in-viewfinder blowout warning indicator
- selectable user defined profiles
- face detection based auto focus

Misc
- user extensible firmware plug in (open source community salivating ...)
- bluetooth
07-22-2007, 12:28 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
- weight reduction
I dont agree. The reason i moved to a magnesium alloy body was because i need the camera to actually feel like a solid lump in my hands. I was always a little scared of breaking my 400d when i had it because it was a plastic body. So my wish would be a weather sealed magnesium alloy body.

- ability to light up the side LCD
Cant you already do that on the k10D?

- competitor mount adaptor (yeah I know this is wishful thinking)
Haha, oh now that would be good. It would have to retain AF and auto exposure though, then i would buy one to go with my current canon set up
07-22-2007, 04:37 AM   #57

You know what I would like?

Enough supply to meet demand when those DA* lenses come out.
07-22-2007, 08:38 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
In the next generation, (snip)

I'm way too busy enjoying the K10D camera I have to be even thinking about the next generation of cameras. Since there are many new capabilities yet to learn, and many new image ideas yet to explore, the current camera and accessories will keep me well occupied for many more months to come.

stewart
07-24-2007, 03:09 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I was thinking last night, if i am seriously looking to get into the motor sport photography area (and other sports as well) then what would pentax have to offer to woo me to their side for good? This is what i came up with...

- A "pro" body not unlike the nikon D2HS. I like how the nikon pro bodies arnt as tall as the canons are.

- 10mp, only because the k10d has that and i dont see them going backwards. Although that said, 8mp would be just fine as well. Id have no problems using the 1.5x crop either. No need to go full frame for me.

- 5 to 8 frames per second. 8 would be overkill but not too bad. The buffer would have to be able to handle a decent amount of RAW files as well.

- Both an SD and CF card slot. I trust a sandisk extreme CF card a lot more than an SD card. Besides, SD cards are a bit small and fidly for my larger hands. The ability to write to both cards at the same time would be handy.

- If possible, a larger, brighter viewfinder and more AF points. Predictive AF points when using continuous AF like on the 1D series cameras would be welcomed as well.

Now for the lenses.

- An upgrade to the 16-45 f4. That lens with SDM would be one of my main walk around lenses at car shows or in the pits.

- 60-250mm f2.8, after using a 70-200 zoom on the 20D something in that range with constant f2.8 and a tripod collar would be very nice.

- 400mm and 500mm primes. f4 or f5.6 certainly wouldnt be too bad. Although i could live with the 300mm f4 and a 1.4x TC if i had to.

If they did those things, I would be first in line to sell all of my canon gear and buy up pentax. Now, wonder if they would like me to test their stuff in the real world if they did that ?
07-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Of Course

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
You know what I would like?

Enough supply to meet demand when those DA* lenses come out.
That seems to be a major issue at this point in time. I don't think that Pentax could anticipate the current successes and were caught off guard. I think they are laying down the groundwork to accommodate their now anticipated future growth.