Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2007, 05:17 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Too much to quote

LOL. Yep, the messages replying to the wishlist are gettings as long or longer than the wishlist itself. And that's pretty darn long.

QuoteQuote:
I do not need high frame rates - and 3 works just fine for me when I do use it.

This will likely happen anyway since so many seem to want it. Like I said, though, I have no particular need for it either.

QuoteQuote:
High sync rates - I grew up with 1/60 sync rates - 1/180 x sync rate is OK with me. I hate flash anyway (let's not start that again).

The only real benefit I see is with fill flash outdoors. Since I use fill flash often, this would probably be on my short wishlist.

QuoteQuote:
Live view - I got rid of the LCD useage on my P&P (see above) because holding a camera at arms length is just -- sorry for being blunt -- stupid. Now imagine holding a K??D with a 300mm f1.4 at two feet in front of you looking at a LCD "live view" screen that is 3" across. I don't care what SR you have in that thing - you will not get a good shot.

Yeah, but just think about how much physical exercise one would get from holding that heavy camera at arms length for hours on end during a long photo shoot (like lifting weights for all those hours). Active K10D users could eventually be the most muscular photographers in the world - able to bend metal tripods with their bare hands, leap tall camera bags with a single bound, faster than a speeding camera-to-PC file transfer, and so on.

QuoteQuote:
If the next Pentax does not have a beer bottle opener on it --- I ain't gonna buy it.

Lets also make some allowances for the international users on this forum. A wine bottle opener would be nice as well.

By the way, I've started a new thread entitled "Realistic Next Generation K10D Wishlists" with an explination of it's purpose there. Hopefully those reading this thread to this point will also add their comments to that thread.

stewart

07-26-2007, 05:58 AM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Live view is more useful than you think. Not talking about using it for arms length snapshots (like P&S). There are situations and places where you can't get your head and body to take a photo. Try it with camera sitting on ground angled up to shoot underside of mushroom or flower. waiting for you viewfinder people to pull it off. Have to use a right angle finder attachment. That is very limiting. The 7X and 10X live view allows incredible focusing accuracy at 1x or greater macro. Not always easy to focus at f5.6-8 with viewfinder. I love slr viewfinders and don't want them replaced. Kept DS because of big viewfinder with glass prism. Love my K10D for same reason. Live view does have its uses. Why do you think the pro Canon has it? Don't compare it to P&S. It will be on all future slrs.
thanks
barondla
07-26-2007, 06:03 AM   #78
Veteran Member

From what i have gathered reading this thread, one camera from pentax will not satisfy or suit the needs of everyone (do you agree?).

So, smart thing for pentax to do is release 2 (yes thats right, 2) bodies. One to appeal to those users who need things like fast frame rates, bigger buffers and a metal body. And another to appeal to the users who's needs differ, things like better high ISO noise management (room for a different sensor perhaps), more MP and live view (shouldnt be included in an SLR, but thats my opinion).

Just my take on things.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Live view is more useful than you think. Not talking about using it for arms length snapshots (like P&S). There are situations and places where you can't get your head and body to take a photo. Try it with camera sitting on ground angled up to shoot underside of mushroom or flower. waiting for you viewfinder people to pull it off.
If its going to be useful in situations like you described, then they would need to come up with a separate AF system for live view. You would still have to fiddle around pre-focusing and checking every shot anyway.

If im shooting the underside of a mushroom, i would trust to have a general idea of where the focus points would be pointing and use AF anyway. Besides, i just dont trust camera lcds for anything other than chimping the histogram or checking composition. Ive gotten too used to seeing the scene as it should look through mirrors.
07-26-2007, 07:57 AM   #79
Site Supporter

AF doesn't work for extreme closeups and macro. You look at the liveview lcd and manual focus or move camera back and forth to achieve focus. This works best with an articulated screen but could work if top lcd also showed image. 7X and 10X is more accurate for critical focusing than viewfinder! More accurate than Olympus varimagni finder (2.5X) on Pentax. Not talking about using liveview for everything - just specialty situations. It is wonderful on a dark bellows. Try it out once.
thanks
barondla

07-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #80
and
Veteran Member

To those who want live view> have you considered the zigview s2? it can be detatched and you have a cable connecting the lcd to the camera, even more flexible than having live view on the camera lcd even if it was an articulating screen.

seems to be an interesting product although i doubt id use mine a lot if i had one, more of a novelty item for me.
07-26-2007, 06:03 PM   #81
Inactive Account

In reply to "PDL" to be fair, what I actually DID say was:
Quote: "what might realistically be found on the eventual successor to the K10D".
Nowhere do I remember insisting that somehow the majority of these ideas ought to be compulsorily included in whatever forthcoming model eventually replaces the K10D !
This lengthy compilation of contributors suggestions was purely an attempt to try and clarify them into some kind of coherent reality check of what may or may not be possible to incorporate in future Pentax DSLR's !

QuoteQuote:
I do not need high frame rates - and 3 works just fine for me when I do use it.
I utterly agree with you. I presently have no overwhelming desire to shoot five frames in quick succession, but such a feature would doubtless be invaluable to those who attend air shows, motor-racing events or athletic meetings etc.

QuoteQuote:
A bigger buffer would be nice - I would like to take maybe 10 frames (RAW) before the buffer gets hosed.
Watch this space ! I will personally be highly disappointed if a bigger buffer is not incorporated in the next model, to allow for more RAW frames to be stored in quick succession !!!

QuoteQuote:
High sync rates - I grew up with 1/60 sync rates - 1/180 x sync rate is OK with me. I hate flash anyway (let's not start that again).
If at all possible I also try to avoid using flash 'like the plague', but many other photographers regularly operate in a studio environment and find such sync rates desirable or essential !

QuoteQuote:
ISO - for the life of me I can not figure out why everyone is so enamoured with high ISO. I shoot at 100 (K10D) 95% of the time and I really do not care for going higher. I want ISO down to 25 - just like Kodachrome.
I yet again concur with you on this point. However, many photographers need to shoot wide-open in low-light situations without using a tripod and are always looking for a camera that provides that all-important edge, allowing them to capture those special moments ! I remember when Fuji introduced 400ASA Fujichrome slide film, I was initially very sceptical about grainy images, until I first tried using it to photograph architectural interiors. It was truly a revelation and I've never stopped using Fujichrome since. IS0 25 simply wouldn't 'cut the mustard' in this kind of situation.....well not without severely 'burning-out' the highlights on a sunny day !

QuoteQuote:
Live view
There is one particular scenario where I find this feature invaluable and that is when my C***n A630 is affixed to a tripod, in order to photograph stately homes or cathedral interiors etc. On occasion the pivoting screen is an utter godsend when shooting upwards at a spectacular ceiling. Instead of craning your neck to look through the viewfinder and suffering severe discomfort, you simply compose your photo by rotating the LCD to a suitable angle, whilst finely adjusting the tripod head accordingly. It's truly brilliant and equally great for capturing difficult or inaccessible low-down photos.

In rely to "stewart_photo"

1. Adjustable Beep Volume Control

QuoteQuote:
Do remember the EEPROM used for storing firmware is not infinitely large.
This is a very valid point, but my A630 consumer P&S has it, as does my venerable old Fuji S602Z !!!

5. Permanent Sensitivity/ISO Display.

QuoteQuote:
Since customizing this setting was considered something only the more advanced photographer would seek.
Precisely ! If I wasn't an experienced photographer myself, I probably wouldn't be a using a K10D in the first place !
The K10D IS an advanced DSLR and the ISO/Sensitivity is an ESSENTIAL parameter that should be visible in the viewfinder AT ALL TIMES !! I'm afraid I'm not giving way on this one !!!!

12. Built-in GPS Facility

QuoteQuote:
Don't understand the logic behind this at all. I can't think of a single worthwhile benefit to be gained by adding GPS to a camera.
I believe the idea is that if your camera had a GPS module in it, then it could embed the precise location where you'd taken your photograph in the EXIF data of each image. This info could subsequently be passed on to others, who might like to visit that exact location in order to take their own photos. It could even come in handy providing irrefutable evidence following a car accident (especially for insurance purposes) when travelling in a foreign country, as many people carry a camera in the glovebox to record such incidents.

17. Low Ambient Focus Assist Light - Badly needed in my opinion.

QuoteQuote:
Agree somewhat. The K10D does a fairly good job of focusing in low light (especially with DA lenses). It only starts to fail when scenes are dark enough to truly require some additional lighting.
Not much more to be said really and I hope this feature might be incorporated somehow, but I don't know what's involved from a technical standpoint. I'll leave that one to the 'boffins' !

Last edited by Confused; 02-03-2008 at 04:30 PM.
07-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #82

OK, so now we have Ned Bunnel's "announcement" that PENTAX will begin running ads to sell the K10D in some major newspapers across the country beginning August 3rd.

And we have the NEW MSRP for the K10D of $899+ $50 Rebate making it $849. If you purchase from B&H its $819 + $50 rebate meaning $769 for the K10D.

So Ben, are we nearing the release of the next generation DSLR? The suspense is killing us........
Attached Images

07-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
In the next generation, I would like a couple of things that are not available on the K10D. I want a Flash Synchro-X input, so I don't need to put an adapter in the Hot Shoe.
I would also appreciate a CF card slot as well as the existing SD slot. I would also like a 12.8 megapixel sensor that can be used up to 3200 iso. That is all I am asking for in the next generation.

Ben
Just one thing - Do you mean output? Originally I was wondering what in the world you were talking about, but after rereading your post I'm thinking you meant output? I agree, having a dedicated sync output with a standardized connector (PC, or as a compromise, 1/8" or 3/32" mono jack) would be nice.

(While in some ways you COULD call it an input since the external device applies the voltage and the triggering occurs when this voltage is pulled to ground, the fact that the camera originates the signal makes it an output. pull-down signaling can be so confusing sometimes! )

07-29-2007, 10:43 PM   #84
Veteran Member

i shoot a lot on canon digital 1 series bodies

now every time i grab my k10d in portrait, im trying to grab that built in grip

PLEEAAASE build the next pentax with a grip. my wrist is starting to hurt.

then add the computer stuff like low noise and better AF
07-29-2007, 11:32 PM   #85
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote

Get a grip man I dont really see that much of a problem in having the grip as an addon, altho I always use mine so it wouldnt make too much of a difference if it was builtin. Tho I think, with the price tag of the grip as well, they should have put more in there, at least the same set of buttons (where is the af button? I like having af on the af button only but its not confortable to press the af button in portrait mode), and make the sd slot not just a storage space but an actual slot so I dont have to swap my cards i can just keep shooting untill both are full.
07-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote

Why don't you just buy the grip?

It's far better to have a grip that can be removed for portability than to have one built in, resulting in a camera that is ginormous whether you need that ginormity or not.
07-31-2007, 04:08 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I Agree

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Why don't you just buy the grip?

It's far better to have a grip that can be removed for portability than to have one built in, resulting in a camera that is ginormous whether you need that ginormity or not.
With the grip the K10D is a totally different camera. More balanced verticle control and just plain "good looking!"...

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 07-31-2007 at 07:08 AM.
07-31-2007, 04:15 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Not saying it's bad or undesirable (I'm seriously considering one, I just have too much else higher on my shopping list.), just nice that it's optional for when you want something more portable (like when hiking).