Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I Want from Pentax

In the next generation, I would like a couple of things that are not available on the K10D. I want a Flash Synchro-X input, so I don't need to put an adapter in the Hot Shoe.
I would also appreciate a CF card slot as well as the existing SD slot. I would also like a 12.8 megapixel sensor that can be used up to 3200 iso. That is all I am asking for in the next generation.

Ben

07-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Its strange that they did not include the x input in the k10d, I dont view this as something very complicated or expensive to add.

Im happy with the k10d body and I think the key point in getting me to go for a newer, more expensive next gen model is the sensor. 1 stop better iso performance (ie add 3200 as good as 1600 is now) is not gonna do it for me, although if they make 800 and 1600 really clean like with the 1d mkIII then we are talking but I dont see that happenig with APS-C, and especially not with more mpixels. Some new technology like foveon would be interesting if it can perform.

No, the killer feature would be a bigger sensor and all the advantages that brings. Compability problem with DA lenses? Make it a dual function sensor that can work as a lesser megapixel APS-C as well as an APS-H or even near FF.

I too drool a bit when I see the canon 5D, 1D or 1Ds, but thats not because of 10fps or AF performance or whatever, its because of those big, goregous sensors.

Oh, in closing I do have one more usefull thing apart from the normal sensor whining, Id like to see features such as GPS and/or wifi either built in or as accsessories. wifi is not too big a deal for me, altho the network add on to the 1DsmkIII was too cool for all its features. But built in GPS would be brilliant! I dont think it should be too difficult, I dont need to have actual gps capability like showing maps and all, I just want the exif tagging.
07-17-2007, 11:03 PM   #3

All I want from Pentax is...

I am really happy with most features on the K10D, if I had to choose two things that really drive me crazy they would be....

1. A decent focus assist for low or very low ambient light, such as the laser holographic focus assist like Sony had in their bridge cameras, 707, 717 and 828 etc, and lose the annoying 'buzzing flash' assist feature that does not really help.

2. A viewfinder that projected at least 6mm more than the current one, so I do not have to bury my cheek in the display screen, smearing it in the process.

Other than those two little things, this camera kicks butt!! Best camera I have ever owned, and I think this is probably #20 or so.

Phil
07-18-2007, 12:18 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote
I am really happy with most features on the K10D, if I had to choose two things that really drive me crazy they would be....

2. A viewfinder that projected at least 6mm more than the current one, so I do not have to bury my cheek in the display screen, smearing it in the process.

Phil
that can be resolved easily already: just get the magnifier. its cheap, has a very soft and comfortable coating at the edges and protrudes just as much as you'd like it to. besides, it helps with manual focusing (after all its a magnifier). i had it on my DS and now its on my K10D.

what i'd like (if its technically possible) on an updated K10D: a fast synching onboard flash (for occasional fill-flashes in daylight). currently, you have to shell out at least 250 EUR for an external flash to get that feature.

07-18-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
No, the killer feature would be a bigger sensor and all the advantages that brings. Compability problem with DA lenses? Make it a dual function sensor that can work as a lesser megapixel APS-C as well as an APS-H or even near FF.
And who would want to waste half of sensor surface?? Face it it's not going to happen.
Nuf talk about the holly grail. Sensors will get better and better and a 12mp low noise APS-C sized sensor is just a matter of time. There are tricks that haven't been utilized yet and tricks that haven't been invented yet.
I remember computer magazines writing about physical limits of transistor CPU technology and that in the near future will have to replace it with nano, organic... whatever technology because current technology can't go much faster than 1ghz. Needles to say CPUs are several times beyond 1ghz and still growing in speed.
07-18-2007, 02:00 AM   #6
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
And who would want to waste half of sensor surface??
waste? its not a waste its just a legacy compability option. Does that mean youd rather they left it out so you just plain could not use any DA lenses?

Oh, and people often play the "technology will improve" card, but a bigger sensor will still give narrower DOF with the same lens at the same F stop, you cant get around that. And as for noise, any improvement you can do to an APS-C sensor, you can also do to an FF sensor. Lets say the APS-C got noise free iso 1600, then the FF would have equally noise free iso 6400.

Well lets not fight the FF battle I am curious what will happen when nikon and sony go FF. let see when the time comes
07-18-2007, 02:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I want a Flash Synchro-X input
Could it please be explained what this means?

07-18-2007, 03:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sorry but...

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
waste? its not a waste its just a legacy compability option. Does that mean youd rather they left it out so you just plain could not use any DA lenses?

Oh, and people often play the "technology will improve" card, but a bigger sensor will still give narrower DOF with the same lens at the same F stop, you cant get around that. And as for noise, any improvement you can do to an APS-C sensor, you can also do to an FF sensor. Lets say the APS-C got noise free iso 1600, then the FF would have equally noise free iso 6400.

Well lets not fight the FF battle I am curious what will happen when nikon and sony go FF. let see when the time comes
How much would you be prepared to pay for a FF camera? What are the advantages as far as you can see? Any disadvantages?

Lower noise? The noise on Canons 8MP APS sensor is the same as their 12MP FF sensor and better than their 16MP FF sensor. In no way is there even a 1 stop advantage if you keep the technology the same.

None of the Kodak FF sensors were usable above ISO200, and none of the MF backs are rated higher than ISO400. Any idea why? Because what you gain in terms of sensitivity you pretty much lose in terms in terms of thermal noise. APS is the "sweet spot" (in fact its 4/3 but noone made a decent sensor yet). That sweet spot would disapear pretty rapidly too if live view became more common. Lots of thermal issues then.

Their lowest noise sensor is a 10MP APSH (1.3X crop) in the ID mk 3 but thats more to do with image processing. The images from that camera look pretty smudgy to me.

All FF means to me is back to rediculously heavy/expensive tele lenses and soft corners with plenty of CA. I can hardly wait. I just dont see why people think they need it. Its just bragging rights.

I am far more interested to see what the performance of the new 12MP APS sensor is like and whether the CMOS design manages to reduce noise, since thats actually all anyone seems to care about these days.
07-18-2007, 03:31 AM   #9
sft

Well put Steve. FF has about a 1 stop advantage - not more and people love to quote the 1DMK3 indeed and that camera only has an APS-H sensor - still a 1.3x crop compared to 1.5x of APS - not that huge a difference so most of the difference in noise is due to the in-cam processing indeed.

I do also think people want FF just for bragging rights. How many of the photographers in here really need a FF? What happens when we get FF? We can't use a whole bunch of lenses, need to pay expensive, heavy and large new lenses, we probably lose in-body SR. We lose a bunch of things that makes Pentax attractive to me in the first place and leaves no reason to not use a Canon anymore. All I want is further improvements to APS-C and no we don't need to go over 12MP's IMO - in fact I'd rather stick at 10MP - we'll have to see how the eventual Sony CMOS APS-C sensors will fare out too.
07-18-2007, 03:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm also the one who doesn't need FF. I like compact DA lenses

I would prefer K10D with DA*16-50/2.8 (600g, 98mm length) and DA*50-135/2.8 (765g, 136mm length) instead some FF with FA*28-70/f2.8 (800g, 104mm length) and FA*70-200/f2.8 (1510g, 195mm length). And how much would weight and what size would be 90-375/f4 lens (FF equivalent of DA*60-250mm/f4)?

BTW, I've noticed, that some people are bashing Pentax for DA*50-135 for "weird focal length" and want 70-200/2.8 lens, however at the same time they want FF camera, which effectively would make 70-200/2.8 lens the same as 50-13mm on APS-C camera

I miss just the one thing from FF camera: really large and really bright viewfinder.
07-18-2007, 03:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm with you Ben on the high ISO business. High ISO as good as even a 350D would be nice.
07-18-2007, 04:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wish list?
Ben's ideas:
I want a Flash Synchro-X input, so I don't need to put an adapter in the Hot Shoe.
I would also appreciate a CF card slot as well as the existing SD slot. I would also like a 12.8 megapixel sensor that can be used up to 3200 iso.
and Matix's:
1. A decent focus assist for low or very low ambient light, such as the laser holographic focus assist like Sony had in their bridge cameras, 707, 717 and 828 etc, and lose the annoying 'buzzing flash' assist feature that does not really help.

The Viewfinder extension particularly. I'm partially blind in the right eye and have to shoot with my left. So my nose was always hitting the OK button until I adjusted my face a bit. I don't want to magnify the image and have found those a bit of a nuisance in the past.

I know it won't change but I miss the old TTL flash shooting. I like the AF540 but nothing beat my PZ-1p with an AF400T for ease of use and consistent correctly exposed shots every time. P-TTL has it's advantages but just seems like you have to be a rocket scientist to figure out all the possible 'correct' ways to get the flash to do what you want. When I saw the size of the manual I got nervous and I still haven't mastered that flash/camera combination.

Added to that list is a re introduction of the FA* series. The engineering is already done and since they are FF they would be great for any future sensor changes although I don't expect that is going to happen for a long time to come. Come on Pentax lets have those lenses back now that we have a camera good enough to use them on!!! I'm ready to sell the car for about 3 no 4 no 5 of them and start walking to work....
07-18-2007, 04:51 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by stern Quote
that can be resolved easily already: just get the magnifier. its cheap, has a very soft and comfortable coating at the edges and protrudes just as much as you'd like it to. besides, it helps with manual focusing (after all its a magnifier). i had it on my DS and now its on my K10D.
Hi Stern, I have the magnifier from Pentax... while it did bring the soft padded part out a bit, it made it so hard to take a shot, a bit like using a microscope.. the eye has to be exactly in the centre of the viewfinder or you can not see the full frame.

I have just received it, and it will now go on sale... thanks for the suggestion though.

Phil
07-18-2007, 06:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I want additional exposure mode

Ok, here's my wish:

I want additional "anti blown highlights" Multi-segment exposure mode

I hate when K10D makes picture look "right" but with blown highlighs. I want mode, when my DSLR won't allow blown highlights

Oh, and I want all those bugs in firmware fixed.

Permanent sensitivity display on LCD panel and viewfinder.

One or two konfigurable buttons. Oh, I would like that useleless (for me) RAW button on K10D to be configurable, I would configure it for drive mode change.
07-18-2007, 06:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Oh! Well..

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
In the next generation, I would like a couple of things that are not available on the K10D. I want a Flash Synchro-X input, so I don't need to put an adapter in the Hot Shoe.
They have it - in the *ist D, a higher grade DSLR of them as marketed (at least what Pentax put it in the market segment).

QuoteQuote:
I would also appreciate a CF card slot as well as the existing SD slot. I would also like a 12.8 megapixel sensor that can be used up to 3200 iso. That is all I am asking for in the next generation.

Ben
12.8 MP?? The Canon 5D is the only DSLR in this planet has a 12.8 MP sensor. What a coincidence! Of course, the ISO 3200 of the 5D is somehow better than the ISO 1600 of the K10, although it actually looks somehow noisy already.

Actually, the 5D already has all the 3 things you want, do you wish to switch back, Ben? ;-D