Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
I finally took out the Energizers that came with my K-x today. They weren't drained but figured I'd switch them out before they were. I put in the rechargables that I bought when I got the camera which were charged for a full 8 hours. I made sure to change the battery type to Ni-mH and at first it showed full charge and I took about 5 pictures turned it off then turned it back on and it showed a red battery meter. Tried another set of the same type of batteries and the same thing except these ones started off with a yellow charge.

These are what I bought.

Amazon.com: Zeikos ZE-4AA Rechargeable AA 2900mAh Batteries (pack of 4): Camera & Photo
I was going to suggest a firmware upgrade from reading months ago about issues with the battery meter and using different types of batteries. Something about the camera not recognizing the type and the meter not knowing what to do with them (or something like that).. Not all is lost though.. Get yourself a shoe mounted flash and use the batteries in it. Or your remote controls. Or your electric toothbrush.. Or........

Good luck...

04-11-2010, 02:08 AM   #17
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
I finally took out the Energizers that came with my K-x today. They weren't drained but figured I'd switch them out before they were. I put in the rechargables that I bought when I got the camera which were charged for a full 8 hours. I made sure to change the battery type to Ni-mH and at first it showed full charge and I took about 5 pictures turned it off then turned it back on and it showed a red battery meter. Tried another set of the same type of batteries and the same thing except these ones started off with a yellow charge.
These are what I bought.
Amazon.com: Zeikos ZE-4AA Rechargeable AA 2900mAh Batteries (pack of 4): Camera & Photo
Timstone,
JeffJS is right: check your firmware. The latest firmawre update for K-x did solve a lot of issues with the batteries.

What version of the firmware do you have in your camera? Typically your camera is packed and sold with firmware 1.00. The latest update is 1.01 with "Improved battery level indicator accuracy and stability" [Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site]. You can download the latest firmware from that URL.

Hope that the comment will help...
04-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
I use Eneloops on my Kx since Day One,.
never failed me...
now I got 2 sets of Eneloops in my gear
04-11-2010, 03:22 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redeleon Quote
I use Eneloops on my Kx since Day One,.
never failed me...
now I got 2 sets of Eneloops in my gear
I second it.
My friend have a K-x camera, first he bought a set of GP 2700 mAh, and also upgrade the firmware but have the same issues.
Then he ordered Eneloops, and since then he's happy.

So, get Eneloops, make sure that you upgrade to the latest firmware, and if you can - buy an external flash (good to save batteries and to have more power and flash options).

04-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I had the same problem when I had my K100D. However, after I invested in a set of eneloops all of my problems went away.