Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Battery problem??

I finally took out the Energizers that came with my K-x today. They weren't drained but figured I'd switch them out before they were. I put in the rechargables that I bought when I got the camera which were charged for a full 8 hours. I made sure to change the battery type to Ni-mH and at first it showed full charge and I took about 5 pictures turned it off then turned it back on and it showed a red battery meter. Tried another set of the same type of batteries and the same thing except these ones started off with a yellow charge.

These are what I bought.

Amazon.com: Zeikos ZE-4AA Rechargeable AA 2900mAh Batteries (pack of 4): Camera & Photo

04-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You bought the wrong AA batteries. Buy Eneloops. Period.
04-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You bought batteries that 12 of 15 people rated 1-star....

Yes, Eneloops are recommended, and a good peak charger like a BC-900.

BC-900 by La Crosse Technology - Tomorrow's Weather Today
04-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When did you charge the batteries? Eneloops and other slow-discharge batteries will hold a charge for quite a while. The non-slow-drain rechargeables lose their charge very quickly even when not in use. I had a set of 2700mAh batteries, brand new, but they drained very quickly. Eneloops and other slow-discharge batteries like these Ansmanns work much better.

Still, even with the 1.01 firmware update, the battery meter on my Kx remains inaccurate. It quickly goes from green to that half-empty orange. When I turn the camera off and back on, it's green again for a bit. It does take quite a while before the battery meter goes red, and even then the camera keeps going. I have the battery type set to NiMH, and it's still wonky. Since the meter is clearly inaccurate, I just make sure I've got an extra set of Eneloops or Ansmanns with me. Usually the SD card runs out and not the batteries!

04-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
Inactive Account

If i remember correctly most Ni-mH batteries start to lose their charge right away. the expections are eneloops and a couple other brands. I have a set of eneloops that were charged about 3 months ago, i just put them in my camera 2 days ago and i took 200 pics so far. i say eneloops all the way.
04-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I guess it's my fault for not looking at the reviews...but then again I don't understand why Amazon would recommend something that is such shit....oh well. Lesson learned I guess.
04-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
Forum Member

as said, the batteries are a do not buy. if you cannot find eneloops, then the next choice is engeizers sold at kmart and walmarts. as they say buyer beware, you get what you pay for, for $9.99 I can get 4 energizers AA batteries that work... a really loooonnnng time.

04-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
Well I guess it's my fault for not looking at the reviews...but then again I don't understand why Amazon would recommend something that is such shit....oh well. Lesson learned I guess.
Amazon recommends it because $ goes into their pockets and I 2nd the Eneloops. I thought I had problems with the Eneloops at first but they get better with each charge (at least for the first few charges).
04-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Other NiMH cells often work fine in less demanding demaning devices like flashlights, radios, etc. But Pentax DSLR's place a heavier demands on the cells than most. See the sticky thread at the top of this forum for further advice on batteries.
04-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Eneloops are #1, but they are hard to find. Ray-o-vac makes a very similiar battery called the 4.0 (which is a relabeled Ray-o-vac hybrid). I've used the Eneloops and Hybrids in my K200D, and bought some 4.0's recently but haven't had the chance to use them.
04-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #11

Anyone can print "2900 mAh" on their batteries. Doesn't make it true.

Be extra careful of any "too good to be true" deals out of china/ebay. One especially egregious example had a AAA battery inside a AA shell with some high capacity printed on the outside. Some forgers are actually getting pretty good at making batteries and packaging just like the real ones and which are really hard to spot.

This is another reason to buy a charger like the Maha C-9000, which can measure the capacity of your cells, so you at least know after the fact that you've been had.
04-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
You bought the wrong AA batteries. Buy Eneloops. Period.
Absolutely correct Eneloops are the only way to go
04-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #13

I've use Eneloops for a long time in all sorts of cameras and other devices. But - my K-x doesn't particularly like them. I have the latest firmware, but when I put in Eneloops that may have been charged a week ago, I get a red (or sometimes yellow) battery indicator on the camera. I found that if I pull the Eneloops right from the charger and into the K-x it will sometimes show green.

I emailed Pentax and they said to use batteries that are rated at 2500 mAh or higher. I bought a set of PowerEx 2700's, charged them up and put them in the camera. Green indication and holding, so far. Time will tell, I guess.
04-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I don't understand why Amazon would recommend something that is such shit....oh well.
They don't.

Automated software makes "recommendations" based on similar categories, what other items people buy, etc.
04-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by fernley Quote
I've use Eneloops for a long time in all sorts of cameras and other devices. But - my K-x doesn't particularly like them.
Comparing new "Brand X" NiMH cells to (very) old "Brand Y" cells is like comparing apples to oranges.

Eventually all NiMH cells (even Eneloops) will start losing capacity and developing high internal resistance, both of which are bad news for a demanding application like the K-x. (This happens more rapidly if you use a charger that "cooks" your batteries.) I think your K-x would new Eneloops (perhaps after a few cycles).