Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

K1000 to K-x, split screen compatibility?

Hey guys, along the lines of the "Chinese focusing screen" thread here...

My mom has an old film K1000, that has a split focusing screen.

Since I've already raped the film camera of all it's lenses, I was wondering if I could swap the focusing screen from it to my K-x as well. Using the old PK lenses is torture on my eyes with the stock K-x screen and I'd rather not spend more money if I don't HAVE to (I'm unemployed sadly).

Would it fit? Same process with installing the screen IF it fit?

Thanks for your time, in advance.

04-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #2

You check if it fitts by removing the lens from the K-x and hold the focusingscreen carefully ontop of the one on K-x. And if itīs the same size, look for a "hook" on the middle of the focusingsreen, towards the lensmount. If thereīs a "hook" you can change it. Just be careful and not scratch the screen on the K-x.
Here are a site called Katzeye(Pentax K100D K110D K200D K x Focusing Screen - KatzEye Optics). And they sell focusingscreen for Pentax
04-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K1000 is a full-frame camera. The Focusing screen is, therefore, the size of a full frame of film. THe APS-C K-x has a much smaller screen, if my K10D is any indication.

Not only that, but you need to basically tear the K1000 apart to get the screen out, then you'd have to trim the screen to fit the K-x. This is GHASTLY and I will not allow it. If it has a split-screen, it's a K1000SE and deserves a better fate than that.

Go on eBay and find a cheap split-focusing screen for the K10/20/100/200D. That will drop right in.
04-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndersPS Quote
You check if it fitts by removing the lens from the K-x and hold the focusingscreen carefully ontop of the one on K-x. And if itīs the same size, look for a "hook" on the middle of the focusingsreen, towards the lensmount. If thereīs a "hook" you can change it. Just be careful and not scratch the screen on the K-x.
Here are a site called Katzeye(Pentax K100D K110D K200D K x Focusing Screen - KatzEye Optics). And they sell focusingscreen for Pentax
Indeed, I'm aware of the Katzeye website but the "hook" thing...I'm not sure what you're talking about.

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
The K1000 is a full-frame camera. The Focusing screen is, therefore, the size of a full frame of film. THe APS-C K-x has a much smaller screen, if my K10D is any indication.

Not only that, but you need to basically tear the K1000 apart to get the screen out, then you'd have to trim the screen to fit the K-x. This is GHASTLY and I will not allow it. If it has a split-screen, it's a K1000SE and deserves a better fate than that.

Go on eBay and find a cheap split-focusing screen for the K10/20/100/200D. That will drop right in.
And that's the answer I was looking for, thanks unix! lol

For some reason, she won't let me get rid of the K1000, must be sentimental to her, or I'd have sold/traded it by now.

Yeah, I'll probably just snag up a cheap screen and hope for the best.

Thanks guys!

04-08-2010, 04:37 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by FattyMcJ Quote
Since I've already raped the film camera of all it's lenses, I was wondering if I could swap the focusing screen from it to my K-x as well. Using the old PK lenses is torture on my eyes with the stock K-x screen
I hope the new screen goes well for you, but I'm afraid what's torturing you might actually be the size - nothing to be done about that except to change the camera - to a K20D or even a Sony a900.
A comparison of viewfinder sizes - Neowin Forums
04-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FattyMcJ Quote
Indeed, I'm aware of the Katzeye website but the "hook" thing...I'm not sure what you're talking about.

And that's the answer I was looking for, thanks unix! lol

For some reason, she won't let me get rid of the K1000, must be sentimental to her, or I'd have sold/traded it by now.

Yeah, I'll probably just snag up a cheap screen and hope for the best.

Thanks guys!
Since she won't let you get rid of it entirely, why not load it up with film and a fresh LR44/A76/S76/303/357 battery and shoot with it for a while?

You may find you like the little bugger. I know I love mine.
04-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I know you can trim those split image screens from 35mm to fit the APS-C.
Chinese sellers have been doing this.
The split image screen is made of a plastic like material anyway and not glass, so it should be easy to trim..sandpaper maybe or grinder?
04-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I know you can trim those split image screens from 35mm to fit the APS-C.
Chinese sellers have been doing this.
The split image screen is made of a plastic like material anyway and not glass, so it should be easy to trim..sandpaper maybe or grinder?
Nope, it's glass. It's called a groundglass for a reason!

Yes, a grinder works. I ground down a split screen from a dead Nikon film camera to fit in my K10D. Just wrap the screen with something to pad it during the process.

04-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Most of the split screen I have read about are plastic..but maybe the old ones coming from the older SLRs must be glass since they made things very differently then.
04-15-2010, 04:13 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I've yet to see a glass focus screen in any of the standard Pentax SLR cameras. Though the LX may have had some. I've pulled screens from many different SLR's for cutting down to APS-C size, all plastic.
04-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
I've yet to see a glass focus screen in any of the standard Pentax SLR cameras. Though the LX may have had some. I've pulled screens from many different SLR's for cutting down to APS-C size, all plastic.
Just as I suspected and read.
I know at least that there are some there that are glass.
For nowadays though, even camera body is plastic.