Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
RAW format to use for new K-x?

I just received my brand new white K-x. I have a couple of questions: which mode does it make most sense to shoot in (JPEG, RAW), what setting do y'all usually use (I'm a strict amateur at this), and if RAW, I have a choice with this camera to use Pentax's PEF format or Adobe's DNG format. Thoughts? Many thanks!

Peter

04-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What do you use to edit files? If you use Lightroom or Photoshop, then it's probably going to be a better idea to use the DNG files. There isn't really much of a difference with them other than the size and type of compression though. It all depends on what program you use for the most part, although I suppose there are a few other factors in it.
04-08-2010, 03:38 AM   #3

i usually use jpg , it is smaller ,and faster to record. i use raw when i shoot landscape or HDR. and Adobe DNG for raw.
04-08-2010, 03:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Stick to DNG, loads of pp programs support it.

04-08-2010, 04:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A few notes of jpg versus raw shooting.

PEF files are somewhat smaller than DNG files, a year or more ago DNG files were less compressed being much larger than PEF.
DNG has a few advantages now:
- It can store its postprocessing changes in the file.
Which means that your postprocessing changes can be added to the file without altering the original photo data.
- It is recognized by much more software than PEF, like Win7 etc.
- It is recognized correctly by Picasa 3.6 (newer PEF formats are displayed with wrong colours)

RAW has a lot of advantages over JPEG.
The only drawbacks are: size and less compatibility (you'd need to export to jpeg or gif before you can put it on a webpage for instance)

The advantages are:
- RAW is a lossless format, while JPEG is not. JPEG compressed will always loose some information. If you rotate a JPEG image and store it again, you've (again) lost some information.
- RAW files contain the unprocessed image data and the camera settings. This means that no postprocessing is done on the data. You're software will show the image as if it was processed using the camera settings, but anything is alterable. Specially when the colour balance is off, no problems, you can change it any way you like it.
- RAW images contain somewhat more dynamic range. This means that you can recover some more high light and shadow detail in post processing.

If you want to store JPEG, that is fine. Shoot in RAW and bulk process the files exporting to JPEG, then throw away the RAW files. At least you will have the opportunity to repair much more then you could have with having original JPEG files.

- Bert
04-08-2010, 04:30 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
DNG has a few advantages now:
- It is recognized by much more software than PEF, like Win7 etc.
However, Bibble, which is one of a very small list of programs I would consider using, supports PEF and not DNG.

If you keep PEF, you can always get DNG from it. But you can't get the PEF from the DNG.

So I use PEF, even though it is twice as large as DNG for my camera (K100D).
04-08-2010, 04:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Barkowski Quote
However, Bibble, which is one of a very small list of programs I would consider using, supports PEF and not DNG.

If you keep PEF, you can always get DNG from it. But you can't get the PEF from the DNG.

So I use PEF, even though it is twice as large as DNG for my camera (K100D).
I think you are mistaken.
Bibble supports the Samsung GX20 which only supports DNG as its RAW format.
See: Introducing Bibble 5

- Bert
04-08-2010, 04:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I shoot Raw + all the time and have the camera set to DNG. Just easier as more programs support it and ist's a great option available to us.

04-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It depends on if you plan on doing a lot of photo editing with Photoshop or anything like that. If you are a strict amature and all you want to do it take pics and put them on your computer or print them then I'd say use jpg. If you really want to be able to play with the color, lighting, shadows, correct abberations, etc... then go with RAW because that will allow you the most freedom to do with the pictures as you please.

Also note that with a 8gb card you will be able to hold approximately 1300 jpg photos (on 12MP) and only about 400 RAW photos.
04-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
I normally shoot in RAW only, and use DNG. I switched from PEF because some PP programs don't support it, as previously said. I edit some of my pictures in school sometimes (because I have to, and plus, 27" iMac doesn't hurt! ) and I had to switch to DNG because PEF didn't work there.
04-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p-bags Quote
I just received my brand new white K-x. I have a couple of questions: which mode does it make most sense to shoot in (JPEG, RAW), what setting do y'all usually use (I'm a strict amateur at this), and if RAW, I have a choice with this camera to use Pentax's PEF format or Adobe's DNG format. Thoughts? Many thanks!

Peter
I used to shoot in jpeg on my Gx-20, for the reason that my computer is way too old to process DNG 14.4 mp pictures. It would seriously take minutes to just load a file. I run a Powerbook G4 with some 700 mb of ram. The pictures turned out okay but something always seemed a little missing.

Well when that camera was stolen in Shanghai, I bought a K100D Super a few months after. When I got the camera, I wanted to give RAW (PEF since that's what the camera supports) another shot. The files are only about 10 mb per file and I have the Pentax software to work with which makes a difference. (The Samsung didn't include any software.) Several hundred photo's later, and lots of practice tweaking and experimenting on photos, I will not shoot jpeg again...

That's how much of a difference to me it is. I don't like using auto wb on the K100D and as a result I sometimes forget to change it before I take a picture. With jpeg, I would have to shoot it over again much of the time. Shooting in raw means, going home and then adjusting the wb and done. It really gives you so much more headroom in PP. I'm now trying to get my gf to shoot in RAW too but I don't think she will do so though :-(

Try shooting in RAW and use Lightroom, or Aperture and have at it! You will be glad that you are shooting in RAW after you're done learning how to edit it and work with the file format. :-)
04-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Shoot RAW, and PEF.

The Pentax software can convert PEFs to DNG if needed.

Pentax software can "extract" the imbedded JPG from the RAW file for a quick and dirty look of a whole card in 60 seconds. It also can convert PEFs to hi-quality JPGS in a batch, but it takes a little more time - a few seconds each.

Photoshop Elements (Less than $100 ) or Fastone image processor (free) read PEF files directly.

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-08-2010 at 11:10 AM.
04-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I'd observe that are quite a few existing threads on this topic here and in the beginner's forum, as well as in the PP forum. Would suggest browsing the hundreds if not thousands of existing posts on the subject.
04-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
RAW v JPEG discussion

Thanks to everyone for the input (and sorry for the repeat thread topic). I have been a strictly amateurish photographer ever since I had to give up my darkroom many years ago; but I WANT to do much more. So based on what I've read here, I'll switch my camera to RAW. (More questions occur to me, though, like Elements versus Lightroom, but I'll save that for later, and hunt for that topic elsewhere!).

Best wishes to everyone,

P.
04-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The PP forum would definitely be the place to find the many discussions of photoshop and lightroom, and to ask any followups suggested but not answered by the existing threads.