Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account

istDS built in Flash is sticking

I have an istDS SLR camera and suddenly the built in pop up flash is sticking. When I set the mode to MANUAL FLASH and push the button to pop the flash it takes about 3 mins to pop up. Finally after it pops up for the first time it will work fine. Then when I put the camera away for a while and use the flash for the first time, it will stick again. It's seems like it needs some kind of lubrication or something, I don't know. I take good care of the camera, and always keep it in it's case when I am not using it. This is my first SLR camera, does it need annual maintenance like cleaning or something? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks SD

07-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a little metal hook on the grip side when the flash is popped. Just lub the inner edge with light grease or oil a little and see if it goes away.
07-19-2007, 01:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash sticking!

I had exactly the same problem with my istDs. The button to pop the inbuilt flash would not operate. I believe itis a problem that has surfaced with that particular model. Tried the above but problem persisted.
As I was about to sell the camera I sent it to be repaired. It cost me $70 (Australian Dollars).
Hope I am not the bearer of bad news. Best of luck with it!
07-19-2007, 02:05 AM   #4
and
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just adding that this is happening to my DS as well. It just started doing it after being stored in the closet for a while (because I got the k10d)

07-19-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Mine has this problem since it was brand new. After I press the flash button I just tap the flash and it pops up.
07-19-2007, 05:10 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
my sticky problem

Thank you for all your responses, I really appreciate it. I will try and lubricate that hook-clip and see if that helps. It's exactly as Matjazz stated, I can tap the top of the flash after I push the release button and then it pops up. The pressure of the tap must release the metal hook or. something. Definitely a bug in these cameras. Well at least I know it wasn't something I did. Thanks again, SD
07-21-2007, 05:11 AM   #7

Mine doesn't pop up at all. I guess that's what I get for buying a used DS. Of course 99% of my shooting, I don't need a flash, so it works out just fine. That and considering I paid $213 for it, I can't really complain.
07-21-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stelladew Quote
I have an istDS SLR camera and suddenly the built in pop up flash is sticking. When I set the mode to MANUAL FLASH and push the button to pop the flash it takes about 3 mins to pop up. Finally after it pops up for the first time it will work fine. Then when I put the camera away for a while and use the flash for the first time, it will stick again. It's seems like it needs some kind of lubrication or something, I don't know. I take good care of the camera, and always keep it in it's case when I am not using it. This is my first SLR camera, does it need annual maintenance like cleaning or something? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks SD
I guess the magnetic relay switch, for releasing the hook for the RTF, is aging and your camera need servicing.