Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 01:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kx or K20?

I hope I don't cause too many headaches here: I had a Km that always seemed a little blurry on focus. So took two pictures with same lens etc with 1st d and with Km and quite a difference. Finally got camera back 'fixed' but same prob. the lovely Pentax rep allowed my camera house to give me a Kx as a replacement. I then wondered should I add extra dollars and get the K20 ($500) or the K7 ($700). I then read the reviews on all three and got totally bamboozled! In fact it seemed that the Kx was just as good as the K20 and not that different to the K7. So I am throwing my hat in the ring and asking you good people: should I stay with the Kx or fork out $500 extra for the K20.thanks in advance.

Last edited by trishytee; 04-08-2010 at 03:32 AM. Reason: spelling error
04-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Tough question. I own both and really like the K-x. But in some ways the K20D is better for my shooting style. Thinks like the dual e dials, adding a grip, higher res sensor that in some ways renders a slightly better image IMO. But it's bigger and heavier. If you liked the KM for it's size and style, I think the K-x is the way to go. Plus if you decide to switch to another body, you can easily sell the K-x and get whatever you want.
04-08-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

G'day Trish.
Your K-m should have done well with focusing being faster and more efficient than the K20D or earlier cameras. But Peter's said it all, the K-x is great, particularly with its very fast focusing, but I'm more than pleased with my K20D. I use it for just about anything (just not extra-long exposures) and it's performed brilliantly - I rarely need ISO >1600, so it's perfect for me.

Consider these aspects to decide which one is best suited to you.
04-08-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm going to agree with Peter Zack here. I own the K20D and have tried the K-x, but I enjoy my K20D much more due to the additional features as well as the bigger and more robust size. However, if size does not matter and the camera does everything you want it to do, then I would probably stay with the K-x due to having video and better high ISO quality.

04-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
I'm going to agree with Peter Zack here. I own the K20D and have tried the K-x, but I enjoy my K20D much more due to the additional features as well as the bigger and more robust size. However, if size does not matter and the camera does everything you want it to do, then I would probably stay with the K-x due to having video and better high ISO quality.
I owned a K20D and loved it due to its weather-sealing and professional build quality and features. Go for K-x if you want:
1) compact size
2) high ISO performance

Also take K20D if you think that your camera will see rough times. You can get a pre-owned one for a good price.
04-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #6

go with the k-x great sensor - one of the best out there
04-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #7

I don't think the K20d is worth $500 over the K-x. If you want both get the K-x and you can find a nice used K20d for around $500.

04-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess since the issue is auto focus, I would get either the kx or the K7. I have used a k2000 and it was roughly the same as my K20 (depended a little bit on the lens, but I felt like the auto focus was pretty snappy), the K7 and kx both will be a step up. To sort out which of those two you want, you need to decide what is important to you. In normal shooting, you won't find a big difference in image quality, but for those who push the envelope of high iso shooting, the kx offers some significant boost.

I have a K7 and am very impressed with it over all. Definitely makes photography more enjoyable to have a good tool to use.
04-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
G'day Trish.
Your K-m should have done well with focusing being faster and more efficient than the K20D or earlier cameras.
Why would that be? As far as I've ever heard the AF system didn't change until the K-7 (and K-x).
04-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
I then read the reviews on all three and got totally bamboozled! In fact it seemed that the Kx was just as good as the K20 and not that different to the K7.
I don't get that, as good in what way? The K20D and K-x have totally different strengths.

If you want faster AF in low light, AA batteries, small size, more frames per second and one stop higher ISO performance, go for the K-x. The K20D is a more professional style body, with buttons instead of menus, WR construction, more resolution (for cropping and larger prints), larger size (for better balance with larger lenses and external flash), a grip, more control over settings (e.g. User and TAV Modes), a larger viewfinder. Tests show the K-x has greater dynamic range, but I haven't noticed anything in actual use. I do have a slight preference for the K20D image quality at low ISO, but I tend to use the K20 and K-x for different purposes. They really are very different beasts.

The K-7 low-light focussing equals the K-x except it has an AF-assist beam (nice feature) and focusses more accurately than K-x or K20 in Tungsten light (great feature). It shoots frames a bit faster than the K-x. It's a bit smaller than the K20D but otherwise is very similar.

Trishytee, you sometimes shoot weddings don't you? Personally I think the K-7 is the one to get as a main camera for pro use and learn to work around the ISO disadvantage. It's just more camera than the K-x and addresses the main weaknesses of the otherwise superb K20D.
04-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #11

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I've found the after market split screen focus screen makes a larger difference for me, personally, as to whether I pick up my K-7 or my K20D than any other feature. I haven't used a K-x, but to me personally, saving up for a focus screen for my K-7 may easily turn it into my ultimate camera. The focus lamp is great, and I've had more than one occasion where I've gone shooting with a Canon friend that stopped shooting when dusk killed her ability to get focus lock and I could keep plugging right along, but it really doesn't make a bit of difference for manual lenses, and to my eye, the larger viewfinder really isn't all that significant either. The focus screen switch on my K20D makes it my go-to camera for tight depth of field.

However, if you're used to the drawbacks of the K-m already, the strengths of the K-x are just going to seem that much better and you aren't going to notice what you already have learned to live without until you get used a K-7 or K20/10. If you were going to trade up, cost is the only reason to choose a K20D, in my opinion, over the K-7. Since you got a K-x for free, I'd imagine you were buying a K-7, then spend 700 on a lens instead...
04-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Why would that be? As far as I've ever heard the AF system didn't change until the K-7 (and K-x).
It gets tweaked quite often, it seems. The K-m did specifically advertise "Thanks to a thorough review of the AF algorithm, this AF system also offers improved autofocusing speed under poor-lighting conditions, in which conventional AF systems take longer to focus on the subject."
04-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

We have a K20d and K-x in the household. It boils down to this:

It you like taking photos in the rain, or like rapid access to manual settings, consider the K20d.

In you like taking photos with available light and/or of moving objects, consider the K-x.
04-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #14

if you are shooting a lot high iso, then go and get the kx. if you are not , get the k20.
04-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't think I could give up the better ergonomics on the K20D, but I might change my mind should someone decide to give me a K-X. :-)