Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Chinese eBay split-screens from cowy07

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I recently got one of the usual "Travor" double 45 degree split prism focusing screens for K10D from eBay, and apart from the fact that I don't like the angle or the double split design, (what's the point?) I managed to scratch it up pretty bad while installing. No biggie, it wasn't very expensive. Anyway, looking for a horizontal-split alternative (KatzEye is not an alternative, no way in hell am I paying that much money for something I'm likely to ruin during installation anyway) I found this:

Split Image Focus Screen for Pentax ist D DL K10d K100D - eBay (item 220489291839 end time May-01-10 00:28:54 PDT)

Seller says it's made from a Minolta screen. Looks good, but has anyone tried screens from this particular seller? Also, the K100D has the exact same screen size as the K10D, correct?

04-08-2010, 02:38 AM   #2

These chinese screens are almost always machine from screens for other cameras (some from nikon screens, others from K1000...) I think they are pretty much the same, because even stock screen can be off and you may need shims.

Katzeyes are supposed to be much better (and it shows on price) the problem for me is they are expensive and still get dark almost as easily...

Use plastic pincers next time, or look for a seller who sells the package with those installation aids (pincers and rubber finger tips).
04-08-2010, 03:50 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Am eyeing this one for my K-X - at least it comes with installation aids...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Split-Image-Focusing-Screen-for-Pentax-K10D-K100D_W0Q...item35a83e6c79

Anyone can confirm that K10D K100D focus screen is OK for K-X ?

Edit: Think I found more details in post here - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/80851-k-x-focus-screen.html

Last edited by eyew; 04-08-2010 at 04:04 AM.
04-08-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by edumad Quote
These chinese screens are almost always machine from screens for other cameras (some from nikon screens, others from K1000...) I think they are pretty much the same, because even stock screen can be off and you may need shims.

Katzeyes are supposed to be much better (and it shows on price) the problem for me is they are expensive and still get dark almost as easily...

Use plastic pincers next time, or look for a seller who sells the package with those installation aids (pincers and rubber finger tips).
QuoteOriginally posted by eyew Quote
Am eyeing this one for my K-X - at least it comes with installation aids...

Split Image Focusing Screen for Pentax K10D K100D - eBay, Other Cameras, Accessories, Cameras. (end time 29-Apr-10 14:51:44 AEST)

Anyone can confirm that K10D K100D focus screen is OK for K-X ?

Edit: Think I found more details in post here - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/80851-k-x-focus-screen.html
Focusing Screen has very good quality screens for all our Pentax DSLRs . . .

04-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WHile some people have been satisfied with the quality of the cheap screens, I basicly threw away my money on one. It was so bad, it really wasn't usable. The center prism was on an odd angle. I thought at first it was the double split (which I did not order) but it was a just a bad screen. I really should have known better. I contacted the seller and returned it. I never heard a thing again or recieved a replacement. I doubt these are ground down SLR screens from old film cameras. The one I got was a prism pressed into a piece of plexiglass. Buy a Katz eye or make do without one.
04-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a Katz Eye in my K20D and a cheapie Jinfinance double diagonal one in my K-7.

You know what? I much prefer the ~$30 Jinfinance to the ~$100 Katz Eye... but only because of the double diagonal split, which I find vastly superior to a single horizontal split on the Katz Eye. I can determine focus much quicker and more accurately.

Quality-wise... ehh, the Katz Eye is probably better but 3x better? No way. Installation is about the same. The Katz Eye required a shim (I actually just sent it off to them to get it done 100% correctly) and the Jinfinance is accurate enough as is. I would guess this is more due to the camera than the screen.

What I don't like about the Jinfinance is that the screen, apart from the center prisms, is a little darker than the Katz Eye, which makes the Lensbaby a little tricky to use off-center - but I haven't tried it on the Katz Eye. It is quite difficult to use on my K1000 so again, that may not be the screen's fault. I do find acceptable contrast and "snap" in the edges on the Jinfinance. The prism may darken slightly earlier with the Jinfinance but ultimately I don't find it to be an issue.

I do find more metering errors with the Jinfinance than the Katz Eye. Some lenses are fine (Lensbaby and M42 lenses seem OK), most "modern" lenses need about a half negative compensation. Easy enough to dial in so not a big deal for me.

If Katz Eye starts selling a dual diagonal split, I might consider it for my next DSLR... but for now, I am pretty happy with the Jinfinance one.
04-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I intalled the Travor double diag that I got from Link Delight in my k200d. I had to figure out the latch and put a scratch on the stock screen but put the new one in fine. It matches the af when testing. That was with the stock shim. There are some spots on there that wouldn't come of with a rocket blower. I like the double compared to a single diag in my old Mamiya NC1000.

04-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edumad Quote
Oh, it came with the finger condoms and both plastic and metal tweezers (not sure at which point in the process you're supposed to use the metal ones..?) but I still managed to scratch it up. Not really familiar with the process. Next time I'll just use latex gloves; a little dust I can deal with, but the scratches have gotta go. I found it pretty hard to position the screen correctly using the tweezers... Seems to me like one of those things where you'd better have three hands