Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 02:23 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-7 & 18-55 WR - Condensation

Am I the only one with this problem?
I've had my camera since February and I've had three instances where internal condensation on inside of front element has rendered the view through the lens is a gray foggy mist.
The first time was me pouring chilled water onto the warmed up lens on a hot day. My bad. But other two times have been in circumstances where the change in temp was rather insignificant and gradual.
The latest was a few days ago where I was fishing , the day was fine and sunny and the air temp was up to 24-25 Celsius. I washed the camera down with freshwater around 4pm, downloaded files and then drove in the car (no air conditioning or heating running) for an hour then got out at about 8pm (after sunset) and took the camera into a large camp hall full of noisy kids. Over the next 15-20 minutes the lens developed condensation inside the front element until the camera could only photograph a misty grayness.
When I got home three hours later, still fogged up. I removed the lens and put in the hot water cylinder cupboard where it took about 12 hours to clear away the droplets.
At no time has there been any indication of actual water intrusion, so I am confident the lens is indeed sealed OK. But maybe the sealing is the problem, because it stops the internal air from equalising with the temp outside. It almost seems like I should take the lens off if the camera gets warmed up in order to prevent condensation. Not very conveient!
Or should I paint the lens white to reflect bright sun and reduce internal heating?

Last edited by Ps3737; 04-08-2010 at 02:29 AM. Reason: my bad typing
04-08-2010, 02:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well the best way to get rid of condensation if it's becoming a problem is to put it in an airtight baggie with those little silica gel packs that you get in some clothes. That will dry it out overnight. I'm not sure why you would be getting condensation though, it could have been because of the first time there was still some moisture in the lens so every time a similar situation occurs, the condensation comes back. Is it as bad as the first time still?
04-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

In the name of all Pentaxians - refrain from "pour" water or "wash" with fresh water the camera. WR means "weather resistant" and not "shower resistant" or "dishwasher safe" ).

My advice - next time you want to clean the camera consider it non WR and wipe it down with a slightly damp cloth after blowing the dust.
04-08-2010, 02:56 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi JCT US101,
You may have a point in that the lens/body is such a sealed combo that maybe I should give them both a dry-out session while separated to eliminate any internal humidity.

KYTRA - I'm very aware that WR is not water-proof - I used to sell cameras and wathces and had to educate many customers than 50 m WR watch is not for scuba diving fifty metres deep!
I never squirt or splash water with any force onto the camera or lens, and it has never shown any signs of leaking. I certainly have not taken it into the shower like the YouTube video!

04-08-2010, 03:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
In the name of all Pentaxians - refrain from "pour" water or "wash" with fresh water the camera. WR means "weather resistant" and not "shower resistant" or "dishwasher safe" ).

My advice - next time you want to clean the camera consider it non WR and wipe it down with a slightly damp cloth after blowing the dust.
Tell that to the guy that showered with his K10D.
04-08-2010, 04:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote

I completely agree. WR does not mean pouring water over the camera or lens. It's just designed to keep rain drops, fog, snow etc that land on the outside surfaces from getting inside.

You replied that you know better but then poured water on it on 2 seperate occasions? You most likely got the moisture inside the lens the first time you did it and now it's trapped in there.

Dry it out the best you can and don't pour water on it again. If for some reason it needs to be cleaned off, use a damp cloth.
04-08-2010, 04:13 AM   #7
Inactive Account

This will happen under the circumstances

Your problem has nothing to do with the camera but with the variations with temperature and washing camera down with water doesn't help!!!
The water temp is going to be some where in the mid teens. So as the out side is slowly cooling down. The air inside the lens would be a nice cozy temperature, most likely around the day time temperature you where fishing in. So as the out side cools, thats going to cause the internal fogging. It's like breathing on a cold bathroom mirror or glass, the moist warm air you are breathing is going to fog the mirror. I see this regular in my field of work, with lenses fogging!
I would just wipe you camera down with a cloth just. I also have a lens pen and it has a nice soft brush which is good for cleaning any dirt from those hard to get places. Good luck with your K7, I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it, and you capture those big fish you catch!!
Any way as a fisherman speaking to a fisherman I hope you caught a big one!!!

Last edited by mattyjm; 04-08-2010 at 04:18 AM.
04-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I had this kind of issue last weekend. It was a cloudy day, not very warm taking pictures outside on a orchid exibition. When we went in a tropical greenhouse, everything got fogged, my glasses and of couse the lens and viewfinder. It took some 10 minutes te get clear again.
I haven't noticed any fog inside the camera, and didn't dare to remove the lens to check it