Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 06:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
I've been shooting exclusively with SR off.... really wondering if I really need SR on the camera because I almost never use it now.
Depending on the focal length and shutter speed, you will gain some advantage with a couple of stops when you are using it.

04-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

@edwin13:
In my opinion your shots at 1/30s show that you're not stable, you move forward and backward once the camera has focus locked. I don't think that conclusions can be drawn from them.

You're shots at 1/100s look similar to akpch' ones. I would suggest that you take the camera to the shop where you bought it and show the results and ask for a swap/repair.
04-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #18

Issue seems to be reported on serial number ranges

346XXXX - 350XXXX

Although there are also one report on 343XXX body. Color does not seem to matter.
05-20-2010, 01:37 AM   #19

Original Poster
In the end I took my camera to the supplier here in Sydney (CR Kennedy) and they sent it off to Melbourne to be looked at. Judging from the receipt it would appear they just replaced the gyro circuit block:

Gyro Circuit Block
Repair to Pentax K-X Digital SLR
Dismantled unit to S/F new gyro circuit assembly
Reassemble and check

Cost for the part would've been $6.67 were it not under warranty. Camera is black, serial number 344XXXX. Based on a couple of quick test shots the problem seems to have been resolved, but I'll let you know if this changes.

Edwin

05-20-2010, 04:02 AM   #20
Inactive Account

On thing that I rarely see mentioned is how you actually trip the shutter. It is important that you do so gently. If you stab at it, you could well be introducing some shake that the camera is not able or ready to over come. Roll your finger over the shutter, do it smoothly and gently and your photos sharpness should improve.
05-20-2010, 04:27 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
Your images look like mine. I only get it at 1/80 - 1/250, portrait mode, SR on. With SR off, no problem.
05-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edwin13 Quote
In the end I took my camera to the supplier here in Sydney (CR Kennedy) and they sent it off to Melbourne to be looked at. Judging from the receipt it would appear they just replaced the gyro circuit block:

Gyro Circuit Block
Repair to Pentax K-X Digital SLR
Dismantled unit to S/F new gyro circuit assembly
Reassemble and check

Cost for the part would've been $6.67 were it not under warranty. Camera is black, serial number 344XXXX. Based on a couple of quick test shots the problem seems to have been resolved, but I'll let you know if this changes.

Edwin
Great, enjoy it.

05-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by akpch Quote
Issue seems to be reported on serial number ranges

346XXXX - 350XXXX

Although there are also one report on 343XXX body. Color does not seem to matter.
My K-x also has similar symptoms and it's serial number is between that range. Does any one know Pentax know about this issue, will Pentax replace/fix this for free?
05-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
My K-x also has similar symptoms and it's serial number is between that range. Does any one know Pentax know about this issue, will Pentax replace/fix this for free?
Pentax USA would not. They replaced mirror assembly at first then started blaming user error. Calling headquarters did not help, complaining through BBB either. Return this camera for refund if you can otherwise I have no idea what to do. I am stuck with mine. Attempting to repair would be first logical step though, just don't expect much out of it.