Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax *ist DS vs. Olympus Pen E-P1?

I know this is a weird comparison, but I'm just thinking about the possibility of getting a nice "travel" camera that'll always be in my carry-on bag, as well as for international travel.

I currently own a *ist DS, which is already very small/light by DSLR standard. My lightest setup is with the FA 35/2. It comes to about 900g with batteries and a SD card on the *ist DS. However, I find it's still too big to put into my bag, and I feel the weight when hiking for more than an hour or so.

Do you think the Pen (or a GF1) would work well as a second body? I imagine the Pen is about 500g with a 17mm (or a 20mm Pany) pancake. I know such a camera will be slower than a more "modern" DSLR, but how will a MFT camera compare to my *ist DS in different respects?

Thanks in advance for your tips.

04-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Oh, no doubt, for travelling, I'd definitely go for the Pen. Well, that is if I had the extra cash. Not sure what the difference in performance would be, but in terms of convenience, the Pen is all over the *ist DS.
04-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
I know this is a weird comparison, but I'm just thinking about the possibility of getting a nice "travel" camera that'll always be in my carry-on bag, as well as for international travel.

I currently own a *ist DS, which is already very small/light by DSLR standard. My lightest setup is with the FA 35/2. It comes to about 900g with batteries and a SD card on the *ist DS. However, I find it's still too big to put into my bag, and I feel the weight when hiking for more than an hour or so.

Do you think the Pen (or a GF1) would work well as a second body? I imagine the Pen is about 500g with a 17mm (or a 20mm Pany) pancake. I know such a camera will be slower than a more "modern" DSLR, but how will a MFT camera compare to my *ist DS in different respects?

If you travel and don't have no much place the Pes is the best first body because it is very light in comparison with the *ist DS. You can wear the Pen everytime and everywhere and shot good quality photos.

It is very important if you travel alone, if not to have the *ist DS by the way is very uncomfortebol. For example my girlfriend don't likes that I wear my K200D when we are together, because it' too big.
04-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #4

I would take the PEN but you need to also consider its limitations ... but since you're using it as a second body you probably aren't worried about it. Otherwise, I recommend the excellent panasonic LX3, which is truly pocketable and at f/2.0 it's pretty fast too

04-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh! I like this one. I've actually owned both cameras. There's a define easy way to solve this too. The E-P1 doesn't have a viewfinder, and only an estimation is given with the one that comes with the 17mm. If you want a camera that acts more like a point and shoot, then get the E-P1. If you want a camera that acts like a DSLR then get the *ist DS (but have you considered also getting a newer camera, even the K100D so that you have Shake Reduction too?
04-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're going to spend the money, consider a K-x + DA40 pancake. For those times when weight is a big concern, use non-rechargeable lithium AAs. They are considerably lighter than rechargeables and can take over 1,000 shots with a single set. Imaging Resource measures the K-x + lithiums at a svelte 581 grams..

With this setup you'll have a great travel camera with great image quality. Plus, with the great low-ISO performance, you won't have to worry about carrying an external flash...
04-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

GF1 with the 20mm lens is a good combo.

04-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your replies so far!

I take it the K-x is about the same size/weight as the DS?

I was tempted to upgrade to the K-x, but the smaller size of the Pen/GF1 is tempting for a 2nd body/travel camera.

I wonder how important is the IS, which is missing in the GF1? I suppose composing on the LCD away from the body would induce more camera shake? Otherwise, the GF1 does look superior from pure specs, although I've heard the ISO performance is not as good as a Pen.

But essentially, I'm just wondering how the Pen would compare to what I've got now, i.e. the *ist DS, on things like ISO performance, focus speed, shutter lag, size, weight, etc.

Thanks again!
04-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for your replies so far!

I take it the K-x is about the same size/weight as the DS?

I was tempted to upgrade to the K-x, but the smaller size of the Pen/GF1 is tempting for a 2nd body/travel camera.

I wonder how important is the IS, which is missing in the GF1? I suppose composing on the LCD away from the body would induce more camera shake? Otherwise, the GF1 does look superior from pure specs, although I've heard the ISO performance is not as good as a Pen.

But essentially, I'm just wondering how the Pen would compare to what I've got now, i.e. the *ist DS, on things like ISO performance, focus speed, shutter lag, size, weight, etc.

Thanks again!
Compared to the *ist DS the PEN is a very small and light camera. Think of it as the same thing as something like the Canon G series camera, just with interchangeable lenses. Not to mention how awesome the build quality is, the entire thing is made out of mostly metal. The kit lens collapses on it too when you're carrying it too.