Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[Canada] Gotta love parity - K-x getting cheap (cross-border)

The average US price of the K-x kit, converted to CAD, has dropped from around 630 CAD to 590 CAD in the last few days - thanks to strength in the Canadian dollar.
Even when you include S&H handling, those US stores are looking pretty tempting:
Pentax K-x with 18-55mm Kit - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca

This is interesting, as the K-7 body's price hasn't seen quite the same dip. It dropped in late February through early March, and Canadian retailers remain competitive:
Pentax K-7 - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca

04-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #2

Hard to resist, but if everyone starts buying their stuff in the US there isn't much reason for Pentax Canada to exist. How does sending your camera to the States for warranty and service sound? And don't forget the extra year on that warranty for Canadian equipment. With only a $25 difference between the cheapest US K-x price and the cheapest Canadian (not including Newegg), I'd say buy Canadian.

I've bought lenses in the States, but spent a few dollars more for my K-x to support my local retailer and distributor. Recently Pentax Canada stepped up with a rebate program for lenses, and when a few Canadian retailers added their own discounts there were some great deals - I got a DA70 Ltd. for $399C, way less than the US price.

My guess is that once the current stock of Canadian equipment (likely imported before the dollar soared) is sold through we'll see more permanent price reductions.

Bias Alert: I am a Canadian retailer.
04-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Inactive Account

A local shop here in Vancouver that I use for pricing only has the K-x dual lens kit for $899 and the K-7 body for $1199. ...some cash would be nice ;-)
04-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
emr

Is the currency conversion rate that the shops use in real-time? Because I believe some shops (and Paypal?) only update the rate at a certain interval, like once a month or so.

04-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Is the currency conversion rate that the shops use in real-time? Because I believe some shops (and Paypal?) only update the rate at a certain interval, like once a month or so.
If you pay with a credit card it will be close to the daily exchange rate - the card companies take a couple of percent for themselves, of course.
04-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
You should check Newegg.ca, they have some amazing deals on the K-x right now!
Like I'm talking, white K-x 18-55 kit for $569!
04-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #7

Remember that buying in the US might not make the waranty usable in case of problems.

M.
04-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Forum Member

Having a domestic, transferrable warranty, and brick & mortar product support (I like to be able to get face-to-face with someone if I need a product issue resolved - generally more fruitful than online or phone correspondence) is worth it for me to spend the money domestically in Canada, to say nothing of the fact that I'm the rare sort that actually feels like I do get something for the taxes I pay on stuff.

I also enjoy the company of people with similar interests, and while I enjoy the social contact I get online, I prefer to sit down for a frosty pint with people. Supporting local businesses that cater to my hobbies and interests both helps to keep that marketplace alive locally, and to put salaries in the pockets of people with similar interests, which ultimately means that they can also afford pints—which makes for more interesting pals to have pints with Everything's connected, in the end.

Ultimately the marginal savings you get by purchasing in the states gets eaten up in gas or transit (going to the states), customs, or through warranty alienation. As my Dad says, "you pay me now or you pay me later..."

04-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Timichango Quote
Having a domestic, transferrable warranty, and brick & mortar product support (I like to be able to get face-to-face with someone if I need a product issue resolved - generally more fruitful than online or phone correspondence) is worth it for me to spend the money domestically in Canada, to say nothing of the fact that I'm the rare sort that actually feels like I do get something for the taxes I pay on stuff.

I also enjoy the company of people with similar interests, and while I enjoy the social contact I get online, I prefer to sit down for a frosty pint with people. Supporting local businesses that cater to my hobbies and interests both helps to keep that marketplace alive locally, and to put salaries in the pockets of people with similar interests, which ultimately means that they can also afford pints—which makes for more interesting pals to have pints with Everything's connected, in the end.

Ultimately the marginal savings you get by purchasing in the states gets eaten up in gas or transit (going to the states), customs, or through warranty alienation. As my Dad says, "you pay me now or you pay me later..."
I'd personally buy it from Futureshop or Henrys, and make them price match something. It works really well. I ended up buying my K-x from Futureshop with a price match a while ago, and bought the 4 year warranty. They included 100 bucks in freebies because I bought a $160 warranty.
04-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shub Quote
I'd personally buy it from Futureshop or Henrys, and make them price match something. It works really well. I ended up buying my K-x from Futureshop with a price match a while ago, and bought the 4 year warranty. They included 100 bucks in freebies because I bought a $160 warranty.
I got my K-7 at London Drugs (big chain store in western canada that has a somewhat robust photo department) out here on a price-match to a local shop, Kerrisdale Cameras, but only because Kerrisdale was out of stock at the time, otherwise my preference is to support the smaller business in most cases.

My best friend used to work at Downtown Camera in Toronto back when I was living there, and I developed a pretty steep bias against Henry's as a result... based entirely on association, not on the quality of service, per-se I hear they're actually quite good.

Another great store in Toronto (their online presence is good too) is Vistek — I've had good dealings with them in the past, and they were generally pretty accommodating with price-matching.
04-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Too bad, none of the those stores offer any price match with Prodigital2000 online store. Otherwise, I would have ordered a K-7 from Alberta....
04-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Timichango Quote
I got my K-7 at London Drugs (big chain store in western canada that has a somewhat robust photo department) out here on a price-match to a local shop, Kerrisdale Cameras, but only because Kerrisdale was out of stock at the time, otherwise my preference is to support the smaller business in most cases.

My best friend used to work at Downtown Camera in Toronto back when I was living there, and I developed a pretty steep bias against Henry's as a result... based entirely on association, not on the quality of service, per-se I hear they're actually quite good.

Another great store in Toronto (their online presence is good too) is Vistek — I've had good dealings with them in the past, and they were generally pretty accommodating with price-matching.
Yeah, I've heard a lot about London Drugs. Their name sort of deceived me at first, but they just kept on selling cameras, and I got used to it. I almost bought mine from a local shop here too, BJ Photo. I backed out at the last minute because I didn't want to wait a week for them to ship it in, and also Futureshop ended up giving me a better deal (somehow).

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Too bad, none of the those stores offer any price match with Prodigital2000 online store. Otherwise, I would have ordered a K-7 from Alberta....
Yeah, I don't think anyone can do that.
However, I found out Prodigital2000 is located in Stratford, ON. Not too far away from me. I might venture down there sometime and see what I can do, haha.
04-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
In Canada, Prodigital is untouchable. Not only do they have the best prices, but they include extended warranties, at least they did on my Tamron 90 and on the DA 40. And to top it all off, if you live outside of Ontario, they don't charge the PST!!! Prodigital is the best! THE BEST!!
04-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #14
grc

QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
How does sending your camera to the States for warranty and service sound?
You won't have to do this. Pentax has an international warranty, which allows you to service your camera in the US or in Canada. All you need to do is mail in a copy of your receipt for the International Warranty card.

Buying through Pentax Canada does add an additional year of domestic warranty, though.
04-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shub Quote
However, I found out Prodigital2000 is located in Stratford, ON. Not too far away from me. I might venture down there sometime and see what I can do, haha.
They don't sell out of a shop. Although they also own a London Drugs or something they do not offer the same prices or inventory there. Or at least that used to be the way. Was in Stratford 9 months ago.