Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kx in fog, a problem?

I am going on a hike in about 2 weeks at Big Basin in California and I think it's going to have some fog at the time I will be arriving (9am). I know the Kx is not WR but do I have to worry?

Big Basin also has a lot of moisture in the air, could that also be a problem? My Kx is less than 2 months old and I am very protective of it. Do you see these 2 issues being issues?

04-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It can't be any worse than Florida humidity in August.

But is that near the ocean--so there's salt in that fog?

Different story.
04-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
It can't be any worse than Florida humidity in August.

But is that near the ocean--so there's salt in that fog?

Different story.
Hello Ira,
No there is not salt in the air. It is vary far from the ocean but close to fresh water streams.
04-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think you will be fine, my buddy has a Kx and he has taken it everywhere I take my K20D and it has always kept up. It is a well built camera and I'm sure the fog will not hurt in in any way.

04-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

I think you'll be fine too.

These cameras weren't made to melt in the rain, and while the KX lacks the heavy weather "armor" of the K7, it can get a little damp or wet without killing it.
04-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
I think it should be fine, I've taken a K-x in a very humid pool (same idea, right) and it's been unaffected.
04-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah thats what I figured but I just needed confirmation before I went on that hike, thanks.

04-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Yeah thats what I figured but I just needed confirmation before I went on that hike, thanks.
No problems, let us all know how it goes, post some pictures!
04-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shub Quote
No problems, let us all know how it goes, post some pictures!
Will definitely do, thanks again.
04-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #10

I don't think you need to worry. But don't leave your equipment inside waterproof bag if you doubt there is any moister in your camera or lenses. Let them dry before your pack them.
04-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
I don't think you need to worry. But don't leave your equipment inside waterproof bag if you doubt there is any moister in your camera or lenses. Let them dry before your pack them.
So if at days end I think there might be any moisture what so ever in my camera I should not pack it away? Let it sit out and dry?

Maybe I'll do this anyways because there isn't anyway to tell if there is moisture in my camera is there?
04-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This past weekend I was wandering around in some fog for part of the morning, then the rest of the drive/hike I was in bright sunlight. I had a K100 (along with a K7) and didn't even think about the fog - took the shots I wanted to (until the batteries gave out, I need to replace them) and then left it in the camera bag while I used the K7 for the rest of the couple of hours I was out. By that time it was very sunny and the humidity level dropped - I didn't do anything special for it. It did have lots of opportunity to dry out - I left it out of the bag when I got home until I downloaded the pictures and recharged the batteries.
04-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
This past weekend I was wandering around in some fog for part of the morning, then the rest of the drive/hike I was in bright sunlight. I had a K100 (along with a K7) and didn't even think about the fog - took the shots I wanted to (until the batteries gave out, I need to replace them) and then left it in the camera bag while I used the K7 for the rest of the couple of hours I was out. By that time it was very sunny and the humidity level dropped - I didn't do anything special for it. It did have lots of opportunity to dry out - I left it out of the bag when I got home until I downloaded the pictures and recharged the batteries.
Is the K100 weather resistant though? My Kx is not and that is why I was a little worried. I'm sure I am worrying about nothing but since this is my first ever "nice" camera I think my worry is acceptable. haha
04-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

it's been foggy here everyday. the k-x works just fine so far.
04-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had my k-x in foggy subtropical rainforest and shortly afterwards been out in the hot sun with no problems. I think it'll be fine.